Why not Davis in right field... to make room for Mancini?

Bradysburns

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Crush made it pretty clear (it was either 2014 or '15) that he really wd rather play first base. He does a very fine job there, let him stay where he's comfortable and not cause any more distractions than he already has from trying to hit better.

I thought Crush made it pretty clear (it was either 2014 or '15) that he really wd rather play first base. He does a very fine job there, let him stay where he's comfortable and not cause any more distractions than he already has from trying to hit better.

Crush said he was a team player, and didn't mind helping the team and playing the outfield.

But, given his preference, he preferred staying at 1st.

Crush said he was a team player, and didn't mind helping the team and playing the outfield.

But, given his preference, he preferred staying at 1st.

The stereotype of a team player would have just said "Wherever Buck wants me to play," without adding the second statement about preference.

The stereotype of a team player would have just said "Wherever Buck wants me to play," without adding the second statement about preference.

He was asked about his desire, when he resigned, so why shouldn't he saw what he felt?

he also took outfield practice and shagging flies in the OF, just in case, he was needed.

He was asked about his desire, when he resigned, so why shouldn't he saw what he felt?

he also took outfield practice and shagging flies in the OF, just in case, he was needed.

He can say whatever he wants, you're right, but how many tens or hundreds of times have you and I heard players say they'll help out the team whatever way they can and not mention a preference, even though they almost always have one? Crush also is the one who said he'd rather rest more (in 2013 or 2014). I'm not saying he's selfish or out of line in making such statements. I'm just making a rather obvious comparison with what a stereotypical "team player" says in such interviews. Such as starting pitchers asked to relieve or an outfielder asked to play second base.

I would have to say that Davis in RF is probably not a good idea on a long term basis. I know that no one has considered this argument, but there are some people, who consider Chris Davis to be a very good 1B. Some even consider him to be Gold Glove quality. Not to derail or anything, just wanted a different perspective.:rolleyes:
Not derailing at all - your position seems to be the vast majority position. Doesn't mean it's right, or wrong. But it's the majority so far on this thread.

You are right and that answer is too flip. I am fine playing anyone anywhere that makes the O's better. That includes Davis in RF. I agree with the idea that he is athletic enough. But I think there are two reasons it only happens sporadically.

1) Davis is very good at 1b. And I think this is important, he is good in a way that maximizes the other infielders as well. Moving him requires more than just an adequate 1b as replacement. Do we have one? If so great.

2) Davis is finishing his second year in the last three more than a little banged up. Would he hold up better or worse in RF? My guess would be worse.

Rep to you. And I do appreciate the efforts of all to seek ways to make the O's better.

I don't think we'd get value for Mancini. They would be better off DHing him and let him put MLB numbers and then move him.

I kind of see some sense in moving Davis to RF and playing him at 1B. That would ge finding room for the pieces we have. I'm not sure how bad Mancin is defensively but in past years Davis really wasn't graded high at 1B by the national people.

As far as the outfield if they can keep Bourn cheap and go with Rickard and Kim you probably on need 1 more of. If they truly are out of dough that's probably the best we dan hope for.

I don't see how we have a spot in the rotation with Tillman, Gausman, Bundy, and With both of Gallardo and Jiminez still on the roster.

Oakland would take him for a bag of balls and then he'd be the league MVP...

Mancini can hold down DH with kim rotating in at times. Find two good outfielders with some speed. Bourn and ? Not sure Rickard is ready after the drop off last year.

that saves like X million for replacing trumbo with bourn and pedro with mancini.

I think if we pick up a pitcher then we drop miley to long relief and vanimal is gone. if not then maybe gallardo is cut if he has a bad spring or someone gives us a bag of balls. Seems to be a bunch of 4/5 spot pitchers out there this year except for Hill which is iffy it seems health wise.

It seems like moving Davis to right and making space for Mancini could make sense, if Mancini pushes for a spot in spring training.

Is such a move even possible? Or is Mancini hopelessly blocked unless he wants to play DH?

I have heard (on the Internet machine) that Davis doesn't want to play right, period. Any substance to that?

Hasn't he played there before but not that great at it?

It was rumored from a few sources that during his contract negotiations he was given assurances he would be playing first base and that it was his strong preference. He'll be playing first base almost every day just like he did this year.

I'm fine with that. I don't know what other people are watching when they see him play the outfield. I see a slow guy with bad instincts misplaying fly balls who has a good arm. Chris Davis is athletic for a big dude, he's not athletic for a major league outfielder. He's a good first baseman, and while I disagree with a lot of people on here about how important that is if he is going to be in the lineup he should be playing there.

Archived