Keegan Akin - LHP

6' 0" 225

Bats: L Throws: L

2016 Team: IronBirds SS

Career stats

Most Likely Major League Role: 3rd/4th starter

Ceiling: #2 starter

Floor: Left-handed reliever

Background: The Orioles drafted Keegan in the 2nd round (54th overall) of the 2016 draft out of Western Michigan University after an outstanding Junior season (1.82 ERA, 109 IP, 72 H, HR, 30 BB, 133 K, .192 AVG). MLB.com said this about Akin coming out of college - "One of the hardest-throwing lefty starters in the college ranks, Akin usually pitches at 91-94 mph and peaks at 96 with late life on his fastball. Though he's not a big guy, he maintains his velocity deep into games and generates it without much effort in his delivery. There's some debate as to which is better, his low-80s slider or his tumbling changeup, but both should be at least average offerings. Akin has three pitches and fills the strike zone, so he'll definitely be a starter going forward. He fared well against quality competition in the Cape Cod League last summer, another point in his favor."

2016: Like several other college starters they drafted in 2016, the Orioles eased Akin into pro ball due to his college workload assigning him to short season Aberdeen and limiting him to three innings a start. No one had a better pro debut as he dominated New York Penn League batters. Allowed earned runs in two of his first three starts before not allowing a run in his last six three inning starts. Over his last 12 innings he struck out 17, walked two and allowed just five hits.

2016 stats (Aberdeen)

ERA: 1.04

IP: 26

H: 15 (5.2/9)

HRA: 0 (0.0/9)

BB: 7 (2.4/9)

SO: 25 (10.0/9)

AVG/OBP/SLG/OPS: .161/.218/.194/.411

RHB Slash: .177/.235/.226/.461

LHB Slash: .129/.182/.129/.311

GO/AO: 1.00

Scouting report (now and future)

FB: 50/55

SL: 45/55

CH: 45/55

What we know: Akin is a three-pitch lefty with a plus left-handed fastball who can throw strikes. At 6-foot tall with a thick lower half, his body is mature, so what you have is what you have. Luckily for the Orioles what they have a pretty good left-handed pitching prospect. His fastball sits 89-93, though he can touch as high as 94-96 on occasion with good late arm side run. His slider is inconsistent but it's a good left on left pitch and should settle into an average offering once he finds some consistency. His change can flash average or even plus at times, but his command is inconsistent. During his college time he was able to keep his stuff late in games

What we don't know: He was about good as you can be in his pro debut, but can he maintain that crispness over 6-7 innings? His slider and changep can be solid average often at times, but they could be inconsistent from start to start. The consistency of those offerings will determine his chance of reaching his ceiling or floor.

What he needs to improve: Just consistency of his stuff. He can throw three solid average major league pitches and the sooner he commands all three consistently the faster he was move.

Summary: Akin actually outperformed 1st round pick Cody Sedlock and put up one of the most impressive pro debuts of any Orioles draft pick in recent memory. A legitimate three-pitch lefty, he could move very quickly through the system along with his teammate. He'll probably start next season at Delmarva but could be pushed to Frederick.

• Upvote 1

Sorry if this question has been asked before - What puts him behind Sedlock as a prospect other than Sedlock being drafted ahead of him? (And I'm not saying I disagree with the rankings - I don't know enough to choose between them.)

Judge Smails:

Ty, what did you shoot today?

Ty Webb:

Oh, Judge, I don't keep score.

Judge Smails:

Then how do you measure yourself with other golfers?

Ty Webb:

By height.

• Upvote 1

Great job Tony. So to me this is where the our prospect list starts to get depressing. Not that I don't like Akin. But a guy drafted in the 2nd rd of the most recent draft is our #4 prospect? I don't disagree with the ranking at all.

I'm hoping he continues his success, but looks like he took full advantage of the three inning stint starts and absolutely dominated.

Great job Tony. So to me this is where the our prospect list starts to get depressing. Not that I don't like Akin. But a guy drafted in the 2nd rd of the most recent draft is our #4 prospect? I don't disagree with the ranking at all.

I'm hoping he continues his success, but looks like he took full advantage of the three inning stint starts and absolutely dominated.

First round. Pick 27.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

On Wall to Wall Baseball last Saturday, Roch said that the O's brass was really impressed with Akin during the fall instructs.    It would be great to see him and Sedlock go quickly through the system.

I think that, if needed, we could see Sedlock coming out of the pen this season.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think that, if needed, we could see Sedlock coming out of the pen this season.

Yeah, but I'd be against it unless we have a rash of injuries.    

I'm hoping he and Akin can split the year between Frederick and Bowie and work on their craft, learn how to go 6+ innings at the professional level on a regular basis, etc.