Update: O's sign Trumbo to 3yr/$37 mil deal

Dark Helmet

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not up in arms about Cruz, Markakis and Trumbo leaving because I'd rather they not resign them.

Why should fans get upset about Trumbo?

I'm not because we have this golden kid named Trey Mancini. People want to keep him like they wanted to keep Cruz. He hits dingers, does well when it comes to hitting and is a likable guy to root for

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

That is quite an astounding statement.   My only problem with Trumbo is that we stuck him in the OF for 96 games.    I'd be perfectly comfortable watching him DH.   

That's the way I feel about him as well. I'd be perfectly happy to have him DH, but I don't want to see much of him in the outfield. That said, my preference would still be to sign two corner outfielders and move Kim to DH. They could upgrade the defense in both corners and keep Kim's high-OBP bat in the lineup against righties. And the Orioles still have plenty of guys who can hit it out. They need guys who can get on in front of the home run hitters and guys who won't strike out so much with guys on base ahead of them. I also fear that Trumbo will never approach that sort of year again. It's easier to tolerate 170 strikeouts from a guy who hits 47 home runs than from a guy who hits 25 and doesn't give you much else.

12 minutes ago, Moondoggie said:

That's the way I feel about him as well. I'd be perfectly happy to have him DH, but I don't want to see much of him in the outfield. That said, my preference would still be to sign two corner outfielders and move Kim to DH. They could upgrade the defense in both corners and keep Kim's high-OBP bat in the lineup against righties. And the Orioles still have plenty of guys who can hit it out. They need guys who can get on in front of the home run hitters and guys who won't strike out so much with guys on base ahead of them. I also fear that Trumbo will never approach that sort of year again. It's easier to tolerate 170 strikeouts from a guy who hits 47 home runs than from a guy who hits 25 and doesn't give you much else.

There's no guarantee that when the best OBP guys get on 35% that they will be on base for HR's.  But it is really nice to have.  Right now OBP is really expensive to acquire.  Just like SP.  So we're doing the best we can with OPACY and having good power and a great bullpen.  Even a GG OF isn't going to be able to catch balls that our 10 rows back for dingers.  You have to be able to slug it out in the AL East.  

Trumbo isn't a perfect fit, but right now he's the best fit of what is left.  He only played 96 games in the OF last year.  With a better bench that number could go down even more.  

2 hours ago, crawjo said:

I will mutiny. There's never been an everyday player for the Orioles who I disliked more, and so the thought of overpaying to keep him around is sickening to me.  

Wow. He's not like that. It's not him. It's you. I've seen PLENTY of worse Orioles. Plenty. Nice man, good teammate, played a position that he was not cut out for. 

1 hour ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I'm not because we have this golden kid named Trey Mancini. People want to keep him like they wanted to keep Cruz. He hits dingers, does well when it comes to hitting and is a likable guy to root for

How is he "golden."

51 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There's no guarantee that when the best OBP guys get on 35% that they will be on base for HR's.  But it is really nice to have.  Right now OBP is really expensive to acquire.  Just like SP.  So we're doing the best we can with OPACY and having good power and a great bullpen.  Even a GG OF isn't going to be able to catch balls that our 10 rows back for dingers.  You have to be able to slug it out in the AL East.  

Trumbo isn't a perfect fit, but right now he's the best fit of what is left.  He only played 96 games in the OF last year.  With a better bench that number could go down even more.  

Barry Bonds only hit home runs 7.74 percent of the time, so there's no guarantee that once someone is on base the guy behind them will hit a home run either. But one thing is for sure, if nobody is on base it's going to be a solo homer if a guy hits one. At least if you're getting more guys on base you have a chance to score in other ways.

I fully understand that the Orioles aren't going to sign Ricky Henderson (unless they bring Ricky Henderson out of retirement, which I wouldn't put past Ricky). But there are still some outfielders out there who have had some success in getting on base (Pagan, Coghlan, etc.) who could be corner outfielders (I wanted to sign Revere for left field, but he's off the board). And there are guys who would be available in trades (Dyson, Granderson, etc.).

But my reasoning has just as much to do with defense as it does OBP.  Moving Kim to DH could allow an upgrade at both corners. Trumbo would be fine as a DH, but only as a full-time DH as far as I'm concerned. But that leaves you with Kim in left most of the time.

Archived