Update: O's sign Trumbo to 3yr/$37 mil deal

Dark Helmet

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, weams said:

Orioles had a deal with vesting that would have paid between 52 and 56 million over four seasons. That offer is no longer open for his agents to agree to. Though it is open to being negotiated as a quick consession. If Trumbo's camp lowers their sights. I think you will need to see a balloon floated about another right handed power bat of interest to the Orioles and then it will happen quickly. 

So it was a vesting option?

On 12/28/2016 at 8:30 AM, Sanfran327 said:

The better question is, why didn't Trumbo jump on said four-year contract? I'll tell you why. As much as Duq learned his lesson from Cruz, Trumbo learned a lesson from CD last year. When you know there's really only one team in the race, holding out makes that team bid against themselves. Trumbo will be in Baltimore for the next few years in all likelihood, but he'll hold out for a few more bucks because he can. He knows that OPACY is where his bread gets buttered, and that this park was a HUGE factor for his career year (and maybe some lineup protection, if you buy into that sort of thing), so he'll want to keep socking dingers for as long as he can. 

My prediction is that he ends up signing here for about 4/72-76. 

I'll be shocked if we pay him that. Depending on how you look at it, the O's increased the offer to Davis between 0-4.5%.    Assuming we had offered Trumbo 4/$56 mm, and equivalent increase would be to 4/$58.5 mm.   I think that's too much, but it wouldn't shock me if we did that deal.   

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'll be shocked if we pay him that. Depending on how you look at it, the O's increased the offer to Davis between 0-4.5%.    Assuming we had offered Trumbo 4/$56 mm, and equivalent increase would be to 4/$58.5 mm.   I think that's too much, but it wouldn't shock me if we did that deal.   

I agree. If he wants more, I think Dan is prepared for him to find it elsewhere. And I don't see Peter Angelos negotiating with agents this season. In fact, I have seen John referred to as owner by several publications. 

Archived