Rumor (from December): Brad Brach for Mallex Smith

Orange

MLBTradeRumors.com reported that the Braves came asking about Brach and we asked for Mallex Smith and they said no.  Seems like a really good deal for both sides, actually.  Smith will be a fourth OF for the Braves at this point and has had an uneven start to his MLB career... but 24 years old, good MiLB numbers, and 5 years of control.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Speed, defense and the ability to get on base in the minor leagues and only 23 years old last year? If this would mean moving Jones to right field, than sign me up for this deal.

Sounds to me like they laughed in our face...

Leave it the O's blind homers to sidetrack a positive thread about the O's actually trying to trade for a young talented OF with talk of reacquiring Nick Markakis. Can we move forward and not backwards? 

I love the idea of targeting Smith. He has Billy Hamilton like speed. Some of the SBs numbers he put up in the minors are video game like. And I'm just speculating a bit, but I get the sense the Braves might have soured on him a bit. Get it done double D!

According to Joel Sherman, the Orioles wanted "Mallex Smith plus" and that asking price was just too high. O's could use a speedy, athletic guy like that. They probably want too much for Brach, but there are still questions about Smith's ability to hit in the majors.

Archived