Rumor (from December): Brad Brach for Mallex Smith

Orange

1 hour ago, Rene88 said:

I was about to say I wouldn't do Brach for Mallex unless there was more than I read this.

Everyone on this board is underestimating Brach's value. Luckily DD isn't.

Brach is a 2.0 WAR reliever. Smith is going to be 24 and has played in about 70 games in AA,AAA, and the MLB. We were right for wanting more. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never heard of Mallex Smith before. Seems like he would definitely be a fun and helpful guy to add to the team, but he's not a sure thing and he's definitely not our only option.

And if nothing else I'm glad that DD is continuing to look into a RP for OF trade. 

2 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

The MLBTR report made it sound a lot like it was a stern "NO" from the Braves... And, given their affinity for young, cheap talent, I don't know that getting Smith from them would be in the cards.

I would be unhappy if the O's initial proposal was something the Braves quickly accepted.   So I don't worry about the Braves rejecting our proposal.    Hopefully the sides keep talking.  

1 hour ago, weams said:

Mallex does not have that value. 

Has a high OBP in the minors, and stole 92 bases in 2014, Appears to be really good in CF. I think Mallex could surpass 3 WAR in a full season. I'd make the trade. My first thought was Atlanta was overvaluing Mallex if he's their 4th OF, but who knows what else the O's wanted. 

5 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Don't we already have a Mallex Smith in Joey Rickard? Why give up Brach for a questionable player that may or may not have a major league bat. Just play Rickard then.

I dont think Rickard is a plus CF is he? If Rickard is that good, then Jones should move over. 

15 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Never heard of Mallex Smith before. Seems like he would definitely be a fun and helpful guy to add to the team, but he's not a sure thing and he's definitely not our only option.

And if nothing else I'm glad that DD is continuing to look into a RP for OF trade. 

Agree. Let some teams make multiple proposals. Mets have some really good OF prospects as well. 

18 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Don't we already have a Mallex Smith in Joey Rickard? Why give up Brach for a questionable player that may or may not have a major league bat. Just play Rickard then.

Joey Rickard isn't Mallex Smith. 

Smith was a highly regarded prospect going into last season, Rickard was a rule 5 pick.  Smith seems to be significantly better defensively.

13 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Joey Rickard isn't Mallex Smith. 

Smith was a highly regarded prospect going into last season, Rickard was a rule 5 pick.  Smith seems to be significantly better defensively.

Ok. With the price of BP arms, a premium one like Brach is worth more than that to me.

If we give up more than say Oliver 

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Looks like they are also talking to the Royals about Dyson. Another 30ish LH OF with no power and one year of control.

If they give up more than say Oliver Drake or Tyler Wilson for Dyson, I will be very annoyed.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Brach is a 2.0 WAR reliever. Smith is going to be 24 and has played in about 70 games in AA,AAA, and the MLB. We were right for wanting more. 

Adam Eaton was a 6 WAR outfielder last year. Giolito, Lopez and Dunning have combined to pitch 17 games in the majors. By your logic, the White Sox were robbed. 

Just now, ArtVanDelay said:

Adam Eaton was a 6 WAR outfielder last year. Giolito, Lopez and Dunning have combined to pitch 17 games in the majors. By your logic, the White Sox were robbed. 

With a huge defensive and stolen base component. Also, Right loved him there. 

Archived