ESPN Article: "Time for Orioles to trade baseball's best closer"

isestrex

There are way too many options left for the Nationals to do something as stupid as trading Trea Turner for Britton. They could go Colome who likely costs them Fedde+, they could go with Robertson who might not even cost them Fedde, but is a strong rebound candidate. They could sign Greg Holland who is still available for only money. Point being, just because Britton is great doesn't mean you can hold a gun to another GM's head and demand whatever you want.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't see a realistic trade that could go down between that Nats and O's for Britton.  They aren't going to want to subtract from their MLB team too much.  The best the could do is something like

Victor Robles OF #10 overall prospect in MLB but in low A

Erik Fedde SP #75 overall prospect in MLB but just touched AA

Joe Ross(23) SP 3.43 ERA in MLB last year in 105 IP

I think that lacks star power and the prospects are too far away from MLB.  

41 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Agree with this. Turner isn't a realistic return for Britton. The Nats won't even let you say his name unless you start the conversation with Machado and even then probably no. Not after what he did last year. He's a difference maker...young...and under control for awhile (i.e., he's not going anywhere).

I am not sure where you are getting these out of thin air thoughts, but Turner is a realistic return. Sale was one of the best pitchers in baseball, Britton IS the best closer in baseball. Closers are being valued as much as the best pitchers in baseball, that is why IMO you sell high.

I have no idea why you are talking about Manny. Turner, believe it or not, would be available for Britton, them the facts. As Weams has stated, if he isn't, you move on but Rizzo really screwed up this offseason. His back is against the wall now.

I know everyone loves Turner, but we need pitching. We should have been in on Giolito+ before he was traded for Eaton. That's the deal I would have done, we don't need Turner. Sure, he would be great to have, but we need SP, end of story.

47 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

This thread is all over the place. I actually think you could get Turner. That is how badly they need a closer.

Someone also stated they thought the Orioles couldn't get Ross for Britton? Rolls eyes.

People clearly are underestimating the market for closers right now. And we have the best one in all of baseball as of right now. If he gets hurt next year or off to a slow start? Value plummets.

The bolded part was me - just so nobody else gets implicating in such balderdashery.  

49 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

So not liking trading Britton for two very young players means I'm stuck thinking inside the box?

I'm open to trading the guy. I just have no interest in moving him exclusively for players that are, no matter how highly touted... still prospects. If you're trading the second best closer in baseball (and I label him as such because the league seems to have a very high affinity for Chapman), in the modern market for closers... I want at least one EVERYDAY Major League player. Or a rotation-ready starting pitcher. As part of the package. And, honestly, I have no interest in ever trading for a guy whose ceiling is "might be closer ready in a couple years."

Unfortunately that's not how it works.... typically, good teams don't trade their everyday players for other MLB players.

you would likely receive that prospect that is deemed MLB ready but is untested or has done so/so in the cup of coffee as a September call up.

personally , I think Britton gets 1-2 high end guys and 1-2 other prospects.

i know our management is not looking ahead and this is a mistake that will hurt the next leadership group.

5 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

There are way too many options left for the Nationals to do something as stupid as trading Trea Turner for Britton. They could go Colome who likely costs them Fedde+, they could go with Robertson who might not even cost them Fedde, but is a strong rebound candidate. They could sign Greg Holland who is still available for only money. Point being, just because Britton is great doesn't mean you can hold a gun to another GM's head and demand whatever you want.

No. The GM said he was not trading him. No gun. Feel free to go with a bargain closer. 

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

i know our management is not looking ahead and this is a mistake that will hurt the next leadership group.

This is where I'm at.  If they end up not trading and not re-signing Britton, I think that's where pretty much everyone here will be at after the 2018 season.  

1 minute ago, Tryptamine said:

He was actually a fairly heralded starting pitcher who was converted to RP, but be childish.

No I can see the upside on what your team did. If he stays healthy, or regains health. I'd be concerned about what DL'd him twice though. You just never know with pitchers. The Nationals are at the end of a run. 

5 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

He was actually a fairly heralded starting pitcher who was converted to RP, but be childish.

https://rayscoloredglasses.com/2014/10/16/alex-colome-six-year-top-prospect-tampa-bay-rays/

http://www.si.com/mlb/strike-zone/2014/03/24/alex-colome-gets-50-game-steroids-suspension

The 25-year-old Colome isn't a household name. Born in Santo Domingo, he signed with the Devil Rays in 2007 as an 18-year-old non-drafted free agent, and came stateside in 2008 after a season in the Dominican Summer League. Following a strong 15-start showing (1.66 ERA, 11.1 strikeouts per nine) at Low-A Hudson Valley in 2009, Colome cracked the top prospect lists of Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus the following spring, but a variety of injuries slowed his progress upward; only once did he throw more than 118 innings. He finally reached the majors last season, making three starts from May 30 to June 28, totaling 16 innings, but soon after being sent back to Triple-A Durham, he suffered an elbow sprain that turned out to be season-ending. While he came to camp ready to compete for the Rays' fifth starter job, he threw just one inning in the Grapefruit League before being optioned on March 8, but he figured to get called up again at some point.

According to the commissioner's office, Colome tested positive for Bolderone, an anabolic steroid primarily used to treat horses. Also known as Equipoise, it's valued in steroid circlesfor producing slower gains in mass than Deca Durabolin while having fewer negative side effects.

Archived