ESPN Article: "Time for Orioles to trade baseball's best closer"

isestrex

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-orioles/post/_/id/1507/how-trading-the-best-closer-in-baseball-could-boost-the-os

As dominant as Britton has been -- and whether the Orioles and their fans care to admit it -- he’s replaceable. No knock on Britton, but history has proven that today’s closer is arguably the most expendable commodity in baseball: Each of the past five World Series winners has had a different closer at the end of the season than they did at the beginning. Beyond that, the Birds' bullpen -- which led the American League in ERA last season -- is stacked with filth-bringers like Brad Brach, Mychal Givens and Darren O'Day. These are guys who would have a legit shot at being the closer on plenty of teams around the league and who could step up and do the job for Baltimore if Britton suddenly disappeared. Would they be as lights-out as Britton has been? Hell no. Would the rest of the O’s relievers feel the trickle-down effect of losing Britton? You bet, especially with a lackluster starting rotation that’s known for going shallow into games. Still, given the strength of Buck Showalter’s bullpen and given the haul that Britton could fetch, dealing him has to be a consideration.

Selling high on Britton could help pry open Baltimore’s window -- one that seems ready to slam shut -- for a few more years. And if you believe that the Birds’ current roster contains at least one closer-in-waiting, it might not cost them the chance to contend in the near term.

I'm not a 100% advocate for trading Britton, but I definitely see the strong case in favor of the move. I think this article does a great job outlining what several fans have been saying less eloquently.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Number5 said:

This is the first time I've seen a national media-type admit that the Orioles' window was ever open in the first place.  xD  They pick us for last place every year.

Don't worry, they managed to get a dig in...

So if the overachieving Orioles decide to play down to their projections for once (FanGraphs has them pegged for 76 wins), and if they find themselves out of contention in late July, then who knows -- maybe they’ll actually consider trading the best closer in baseball.

I was never opposed to trading Britton, but this article gives a pretty compelling argument in regards to bullpen depth. It would have to be a very nice return. I know we overvalue our players, but Zach is legit.

1 minute ago, Orsulak4Prez said:

Don't worry, they managed to get a dig in...

I was never opposed to trading Britton, but this article gives a pretty compelling argument in regards to bullpen depth. It would have to be a very nice return. I know we overvalue our players, but Zach is legit.

I do think duquette would entertain it in July if Orioles are out of the race. I could totally see him doing it then. The question is will the return be as much or more than chapman and Miller. Sometimes there is a hot market like last summer or this offseason and sometimes there isn't. 

1 minute ago, Machado13 said:

I do think duquette would entertain it in July if Orioles are out of the race. I could totally see him doing it then. The question is will the return be as much or more than chapman and Miller. Sometimes there is a hot market like last summer or this offseason and sometimes there isn't. 

Well if the Dodgers aren't able to re-sign Jansen and are left without a closer after the music stops, I think a Britton trade might shoot towards the top of their priority list this winter

50 minutes ago, isestrex said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-orioles/post/_/id/1507/how-trading-the-best-closer-in-baseball-could-boost-the-os

I'm not a 100% advocate for trading Britton, but I definitely see the strong case in favor of the move. I think this article does a great job outlining what several fans have been saying less eloquently.

Yep, that's why most astute baseball fans know it's the right thing to do. Problem is DD is going to be gone after his contract and he is keep the team competitive NOW, our franchise will suffer long-term as a result.

10 minutes ago, isestrex said:

Well if the Dodgers aren't able to re-sign Jansen and are left without a closer after the music stops, I think a Britton trade might shoot towards the top of their priority list this winter

I hope my boy is wrong, but he is pretty connected with things, and he said it is a foregone conclusion Jansen goes back to LA, we will see. To me, Miami makes more sense (Loria is a nut job though). I would love the Nats to get him, but not going to happen. Then Bowden over the weekend said he thought Jansen was going to DC, so that's the kiss of death right there.

The Dodgers are our best hope. Although their minors are not as great as before and not as deep.  I would move Britton for Bellinger, De Leon, and Calhoun.  Bellinger reminds me or Markakis with a smooth swing from the left side and could play right starting late 2017 or 2018.  DeLeon although not a top of the rotation but would fit in nicely as a number 3 starter or if we keep Tilman a number 4.   Calhoun is a second baseman that is about a year away as well.   I think putting him at 2nd and then moving Schoop to third if Manny leaves.

I don't think Angelo would ever sign off on trading Britton so it's probably a moot point. I agree though that they should at least be fielding offers. Also agree with the others who suggested the Dodgers are our best fit. Heck, I'd even be fine with going BIG and including Manny in the deal if they give us Seager back. And maybe we agree to take on Ethier's contract. Not a long term answer, but he would fill a short term OF need for us. 

4 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

The Dodgers are our best hope. Although their minors are not as great as before and not as deep.  I would move Britton for Bellinger, De Leon, and Calhoun.  Bellinger reminds me or Markakis with a smooth swing from the left side and could play right starting late 2017 or 2018.  DeLeon although not a top of the rotation but would fit in nicely as a number 3 starter or if we keep Tilman a number 4.   Calhoun is a second baseman that is about a year away as well.   I think putting him at 2nd and then moving Schoop to third if Manny leaves.

Whether we think they should or not, I think we can pretty much accept that the Orioles aren't going to trade Britton without receiving immediate help for the MLB team.  Indications are they aren't likely to trade him in any case, but I think filling a position(s) of need, in addition to strong prospect(s), would be a minimum requirement for DD, Buck, and PA to consider a Britton trade.  I couldn't imagine them trading Britton and still having the same holes in the lineup.  

22 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I hope my boy is wrong, but he is pretty connected with things, and he said it is a foregone conclusion Jansen goes back to LA, we will see. To me, Miami makes more sense (Loria is a nut job though). I would love the Nats to get him, but not going to happen. Then Bowden over the weekend said he thought Jansen was going to DC, so that's the kiss of death right there.

The problem I have with Miami is that I know they'll want to make Ozuna the main piece in a Britton deal...and I want no part of Ozuna. 

Left Handed hitters have an OPS of .784 against Brach last year.  He isn't a closer.  While Britton had OPS in the 400's against both Left Handed and Right Handed hitters. I like Brach in the 7th inning role.  O'Day struggles against left handers as well.  Thankfully the management knows more about baseball than some ESPN writer and Britton will stay closing games for the Orioles. 

I don't think it's Dan's MO to punt the season before it starts, coming off a playoff berth.  You can argue on the merits of that, but I'm fairly certain that if the O's are .500 or less at the trade deadline, Britton's as good as gone, and the O's shoot up 5+ spots in the farm system rankings.

Archived