ESPN Article: "Time for Orioles to trade baseball's best closer"

isestrex

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

You're being silly if you think Turner should belong in any trade for Britton.  He's one of the top assets in all of baseball.   

This thread is all over the place. I actually think you could get Turner. That is how badly they need a closer.

Someone also stated they thought the Orioles couldn't get Ross for Britton? Rolls eyes.

People clearly are underestimating the market for closers right now. And we have the best one in all of baseball as of right now. If he gets hurt next year or off to a slow start? Value plummets.

3 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

This thread is all over the place. I actually think you could get Turner. That is how badly they need a closer.

Someone also stated they thought the Orioles couldn't get Ross for Britton? Rolls eyes.

People clearly are underestimating the market for closers right now. And we have the best one in all of baseball as of right now. If he gets hurt next year or off to a slow start? Value plummets.

I do too. And some other pieces of course. And I'd do it under those circumstances. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

To D.C. Without Trae. Figure this. Zach is worth 40+ million these next two years. He'll cost ~23. So up the antes. 

Assuming health, Trea's floor is probably 100 million over the next 5. He's easily the more valuable commodity and holding out for him is essentially saying you don't want to move Britton under any circumstances.

4 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

They are just looking from a metric perspective. Not seeing what the comps have been. 

1 minute ago, Babypowder said:

Assuming health, Trea's floor is probably 100 million over the next 5. He's easily the more valuable commodity and holding out for him is essentially saying you don't want to move Britton under any circumstances.

Assuming health over five years. Not two. And not proven. Projected. 

3 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I think that is overly generous as a floor due to the lack of an established track record.

I certainly value him significantly higher than Britton.

40 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

So what you are really saying is that Britton is untouchable to you.

Agree with this. Turner isn't a realistic return for Britton. The Nats won't even let you say his name unless you start the conversation with Machado and even then probably no. Not after what he did last year. He's a difference maker...young...and under control for awhile (i.e., he's not going anywhere).

20 minutes ago, weams said:

Assuming health over five years. Not two. And not proven. Projected. 

Wait, are you suggesting more years of control is a bad thing? Your theory is that Zach Britton is worth about ~20 million in surplus value over the next two seasons. You think it is likely Turner is worth less than that over the next 5? This is silly.

15 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Wait, are you suggesting more years of control is a bad thing? Your theory is that Zach Britton is worth about ~20 million in surplus value over the next two seasons. You think it is likely Turner is worth less than that over the next 5? This is silly.

I'm simply saying that at this point, closers are astronomically valued among playoff caliber teams. Signing one of them to a long term deal is a detriment. Zach at two years is just what a team would want. You don't have to pay 80 million and you get the same guy.  Or better.  his not a sabermetric discussion or evaluation. You'd give up Turner if you wanted Britton. 

45 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

So not liking trading Britton for two very young players means I'm stuck thinking inside the box?

I'm open to trading the guy. I just have no interest in moving him exclusively for players that are, no matter how highly touted... still prospects. If you're trading the second best closer in baseball (and I label him as such because the league seems to have a very high affinity for Chapman), in the modern market for closers... I want at least one EVERYDAY Major League player. Or a rotation-ready starting pitcher. As part of the package. And, honestly, I have no interest in ever trading for a guy whose ceiling is "might be closer ready in a couple years."

I'm not sure why on the bolded part, but we'll have to agree to respectfully disagree.     

Archived