ESPN Article: "Time for Orioles to trade baseball's best closer"

isestrex

1 minute ago, FlipTheBird said:

It's still ALL future forecasting, which isn't good business, given that the Orioles remain a team that's firmly in the 2017/2018 discussion.

You might make that deal if you're going to start blowing it up, but not when you expect to be in the running for a playoff spot in 2017. I'd ask for Robles and then players who could make an impact this year. Starting pitching, potentially.

You could use the 10-12M or whatever Zach would get and buy players in FA to help I need 2017-2018.  They don't necessarily need to come directly from the deal.

With the Jansen news, and the Eaton trade, I don't think we'lol get what we should for Britton though.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Mets Familla gets a long suspension we might be able to use the Mets, and Nats against each other.  Mets could be Confronto, Rosario, and Ynoa.  Confronto could play everyday right field for us and Ynoa is close to major league ready to be in the rotation.  Rosario is a little farther away but a talented kid could play SS for us  in a year or two and is

2 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

It's still ALL future forecasting, which isn't good business, given that the Orioles remain a team that's firmly in the 2017/2018 discussion.

You might make that deal if you're going to start blowing it up, but not when you expect to be in the running for a playoff spot in 2017. I'd ask for Robles and then players who could make an impact this year. Starting pitching, potentially.

Sign me up for Robles, Ross, and Treinen.  Not very likely, though.

I'll say this much, it's a better time to deal him than it was a year ago when so many Orioles fans were screaming to trade him. His value is much higher. But if you really think you can compete this year, I don't think you can trade him. He's too valuable. Maybe if the Orioles are pretty much out of it at next year's trade deadline, then you can look to deal him (of course the Orioles didn't recognize they were pretty much out of it in 2015, so they probably wouldn't in 2017 either).

7 minutes ago, weams said:

You get Turner. 

For Britton? Turner was a more valuable major league player in 2016 and is under control for 5 more years at minimal cost. Britton has 2 expensive years left. You don't get Turner for Britton straight up, nor should you.

28 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

For Britton? Turner was a more valuable major league player in 2016 and is under control for 5 more years at minimal cost. Britton has 2 expensive years left. You don't get Turner for Britton straight up, nor should you.

Then they don't get Britton. Simple. 

53 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Sign me up for Robles, Ross, and Treinen.  Not very likely, though.

I'd be doubtful the Nats would do Ross even up for Britton.  They don't trade Giolito and Lopez - not to mention Dunning - unless they're all in on Ross.     

1 hour ago, FlipTheBird said:

Glover is major league ready now - not as a closer - but there's no reason he can't be a big help next year.  He did pitch in 19 games with the Nats and had a 1.12 WHIP.  And as was said, with the $10 mil or so saved, the O's can get additional ML help.  You gotta think a little bit outside the box.  And do you really want to be set up to be awful after the 2018 season?    

16 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Glover is major league ready now - not as a closer - but there's no reason he can't be a big help next year.  He did pitch in 19 games with the Nats and had a 1.12 WHIP.  And as was said, with the $10 mil or so saved, the O's can get additional ML help.  You gotta think a little bit outside the box.  And do you really want to be set up to be awful after the 2018 season?    

So not liking trading Britton for two very young players means I'm stuck thinking inside the box?

I'm open to trading the guy. I just have no interest in moving him exclusively for players that are, no matter how highly touted... still prospects. If you're trading the second best closer in baseball (and I label him as such because the league seems to have a very high affinity for Chapman), in the modern market for closers... I want at least one EVERYDAY Major League player. Or a rotation-ready starting pitcher. As part of the package. And, honestly, I have no interest in ever trading for a guy whose ceiling is "might be closer ready in a couple years."

Archived