O's Offer Girardi Job

Birds08

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trading Bedard or Guts would be beyond stupid.

Bedard's getting up there in age. If you can trade him for a 24-year-old version of himself, why not? It's the same deal with Roberts.

Guthrie is pitching way over his head. A smart team would realize that he's a career minor-leaguer who may have transformed into a solid 4-5 starter but is currently pitching like a young future ace and ship him off for a top prospect. Obviously, we won't.

Bedard's getting up there in age. If you can trade him for a 24-year-old version of himself, why not? It's the same deal with Roberts.

Guthrie is pitching way over his head. A smart team would realize that he's a career minor-leaguer who may have transformed into a solid 4-5 starter but is currently pitching like a young future ace and ship him off for a top prospect. Obviously, we won't.

I would love to trade Bedard for a younger version but that is not going to happen. Same thing with Guts. Nobody is going to give up fair value for these guys so there is not point in trading them.

I have no problems with trading Roberts, but Bedard, Cabrera, Guts and Loewen should be off limits.

Why do you think this? He's 28 and maybe a late bloomer...what about a guy who actually succeeds??? Disgusting attitude in my opinion!

Why do you think this? He's 28 and maybe a late bloomer...what about a guy who actually succeeds??? Disgusting attitude in my opinion!

What? He's great, but pitchers often aren't as successful once they get on the wrong side of 30. And, Bedard could chose to leave in free agency relatively soon. Before he starts to regress and we get nothing for him as we continue to struggle to reach .500, why not trade him for something we can keep for a much longer time and actually use to win when this team is ready?

This team won't be ready to contend for 3-4 years, hate to break it to you. Meaning Tejada, Roberts, Hernandez, etc. will all be gone. Roberts will be 33, Bedard 31? Again, if you can get top prospects for them, you deal them.

What? He's great, but pitchers often aren't as successful once they get on the wrong side of 30. And, Bedard could chose to leave in free agency relatively soon. Before he starts to regress and we get nothing for him as we continue to struggle to reach .500, why not trade him for something we can keep for a much longer time and actually use to win when this team is ready?

This team won't be ready to contend for 3-4 years, hate to break it to you. Meaning Tejada, Roberts, Hernandez, etc. will all be gone. Roberts will be 33, Bedard 31? Again, if you can get top prospects for them, you deal them.

When has 31 become old? For a Pitcher who had Tommy John and didn't play HS ball isn't old in my book.

Honestly, I don't understand some posters on here. They complain and complain that our farm system stinks and then when it produces a couple of very good major leaguers, they want to trade them for more prospects who may or may not pan out. I build around Bedard, Roberts and Markakis, among others. I'm not going to trade our only young proven assets. Bedard is 28! He could be good for another 8 years. Trade Tejada, Mora (if waives no trade), Cabrera, Ray, Baez, Payton, Trachsel, etc., but we CAN rebuild and keep the above mentioned players.

Oh, my bad. You're talking about Guthrie, aren't you?

Guthrie doesn't strike out enough guys for a guy who doesn't have great control and hasn't his whole career except for this year.

He's obviously a late bloomer, if he was like he was his whole career he wouldn't even be near the majors.

I like Guthrie. I like his work ethic and smarts. But his lack of K's and usual lack of control make me think he's not gonna be anything but a 4ish ERA pitcher. If anyone thinks he's really a 1 or 2 as he's pitching like now, you need to sell high.

Honestly, I don't understand some posters on here. They complain and complain that our farm system stinks and then when it produces a couple of very good major leaguers, they want to trade them for more prospects who may or may not pan out. I build around Bedard, Roberts and Markakis, among others. I'm not going to trade our only young proven assets. Bedard is 28! He could be good for another 8 years. Trade Tejada, Mora (if waives no trade), Cabrera, Ray, Baez, Payton, Trachsel, etc., but we CAN rebuild and keep the above mentioned players.

Brian Roberts is 30. This team is not close enough to contention to build around him. If we had done things right a while back and spent when we were ready to contend and not before and built up enough prospects to build around before then, Brian's career as an Oriole could have been filled with playoff births unlike the apathetic self he's become who clearly sees that, as great as he plays, this team won't win in his prime at all.

Bedard you might be able to build around. As every day goes by that we keep Tejada, Mora, Hernandez, etc., the less likely that becomes. People forget that our farm still stinks. Just because you have one great hitting prospect and another not even signed yet doesn't mean this system is anything good.

I agree with trading everyone you said except Baez (could his value get any lower), Cabrera (same situation, his potential remains much higher, take a risk and see if he returns to his high-K, GB self), and maybe Ray right now but I'd also deal him soon. I just don't have any faith in this FO to actually trade Tejada and all them to actually make us ready to win in Roberts' career. Bedard is a possibility; again, if we trade Tejada right now and hang low in the offseason and don't waste money on Hunter and all them, it's possible he can still be the anchor to our staff when we're ready to go out and spend and build around the core.

I haven't looked at stats but don't pitchers generally increase there K/9 in their prime years?

Guthrie's K/9 is 5.74 and he's pitching way over his head. The guy was a complete bust. Could he have just been a late bloomer and needed Mazzone? Sure, and I think he is a solid cheap young 4-5 starter. But again, GMs tend to overrate small sample sizes and misjudge pitchers based on ERA only. If anyone thinks he's a top 3 rotational pitcher, they'd probably give us prospects we could really build around. You turn Guthrie into one of the best buy-low sell-high deals of all time. You wait around until he's a 4-5 starter and everyone knows it; well, not that impressive.

Guthrie's K/9 is 5.74 and he's pitching way over his head. The guy was a complete bust. Could he have just been a late bloomer and needed Mazzone? Sure, and I think he is a solid cheap young 4-5 starter. But again, GMs tend to overrate small sample sizes and misjudge pitchers based on ERA only. If anyone thinks he's a top 3 rotational pitcher, they'd probably give us prospects we could really build around. You turn Guthrie into one of the best buy-low sell-high deals of all time. You wait around until he's a 4-5 starter and everyone knows it; well, not that impressive.

Am I the only one who is glad school's out for the summer? :rolleyes:

Also need to be traded: Millar, Bradford, Walker, Payton, Huff, etc. Basically everyone on the team right now except Markakis. Get some hitting prospects in here asap. We can probably produce a future rotation just from our system. We need hitters at basically everything except RF, SS, and maybe catcher.

Am I the only one who is glad school's out for the summer? :rolleyes:

Just like Bruce Chen pal. We'll talk. When Guthrie's back to being an after-thought league-average 4-5 starter and the opportunity to potentially get a team's top 5 prospect for him is gone, we'll talk.

The amount of blinded homers is ridiculous. We are the biggest joke in professional baseball right now. Do all of you just crave to see a winning season so bad that you've thrown away all hopes of challenging for the division again someday? My plan, or a similar variation of it, actually makes sense. Quit calling me not a true fan and trying to write me off as a psycho just like you did about Chen when I'm right again about a pitcher.

A smart team would deal Guthrie.

Archived