O's Offer Girardi Job

Birds08

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This team isn't close enough to being a winner where Davey would make much of a difference. Hiring Davey Johnson makes taking the necessary step of rebuilding much more difficult. Now if the front office and Angelos and MacPhail are dead set against rebuilding then sure, Davey would be a better choice. Only with what we have to work with the ceiling even w/DJ would be lower than making the playoffs.

So you prefer Girardi? What resume does he have that makes you feel more comortable with him?

Apparently he made alot of poor decisions as a manager...A few examples i heard:

1) Last year in ST, the FO wanted Willingham to be the LFer...Girardi disagreed and played Willingham at C all year long...On OD, Willingham was in LF, with no experience.

2) Last Sept, after an 82 minute rain delay, Josh Johnson came back out..Hurt his arm...Just pitched last night for the first time since that happened.

Heard a writer in the Miami area talking about how the FO was always questioning his decisions.

Plus, he had an awful relationship with them and would basically ignore them. If that happens again here, it will just be another firing in a year or so.

I do not blame Girardi for not getting along with Loria. Loria plays fast and loose w/the truth lying to Girardi from day one. After Girardi publically embarassed Loria by exposing his juvenile outlandsih behavior Loria wanted him gone. They couldn't just come out and fire someone doing such a fantastic job w/that roster so I believe they started working the media to discredit him.

Did he make mistakes? Absolutely. Will he make mistakes if he becomes the Orioles manager? Absolutely. The key is that I think he's the type of person that will learn from his mistakes. I don't see him as being the type of manager who will do the same things over and over and over again while expecting different results.

So you prefer Girardi? What resume does he have that makes you feel more comortable with him?

He's wanted by other clubs. I don't see anybody beating down the door to hire Johnson or Baker. Girardi is anybody's first choice. Plus DJ might keep the coaching staff intact. Girardi would blow it up - no question with the exception of Mazzone.

I dont see why we are neccesarily rushing to Girardi. Wouldn't be in his best interest and ours to just let Trembley finish the year then give Joe a clean slate next year?

I don't know. You would think that it would be in his best interest to wait because it is likely there will be more job opportunities in the offseason.

But, for that same reason, if he is the guy the Orioles want- then it would be in the teams best interest to hire him now, while there is no competition for his services.

Girardi may actually want this job. Hiring McPhail might have been the key to selling him on the fact that PA is willing to change his ways.

And another reason for Girardi taking the job- a "bird in the hand" is worth more than "two in the bushes". There are no guarantees in life. What happens if Girardi waits til the offseason and no offers come ?

Some other guys might as emerge as the "hot" candidates of the day.

Besides, his style may not be coveted by all clubs.

Any owner that is freindly with Loria may have second thoughts. Many bosses don't like to hire the type of manager that talks back / argues with upper management.

I do not blame Girardi for not getting along with Loria. Loria plays fast and loose w/the truth lying to Girardi from day one. After Girardi publically embarassed Loria by exposing his juvenile outlandsih behavior Loria wanted him gone. They couldn't just come out and fire someone doing such a fantastic job w/that roster so I believe they started working the media to discredit him.

Did he make mistakes? Absolutely. Will he make mistakes if he becomes the Orioles manager? Absolutely. The key is that I think he's the type of person that will learn from his mistakes. I don't see him as being the type of manager who will do the same things over and over and over again while expecting different results.

Well to be fair, the writer basically said the same thing. He felt he would be a good manager long term and that he would learn from his mistakes.

I live in SoFla and when I can't get the Orioles games it's usually the Malins games I see. I also read the Palm Beach Post Sports section most days which of course has a lot of focus on the Marlins. I was very impressed w/how he handled the Marlins. And even more impressed that to him what was right was sometimes more important than what was in his best interests. I.e having the courage to call out Loria when he was making a fool of himself in a way that could of had a detrimental effect on his players. I like that trait in a manager.

He's wanted by other clubs. I don't see anybody beating down the door to hire Johnson or Baker. Girardi is anybody's first choice. Plus DJ might keep the coaching staff intact. Girardi would blow it up - no question with the exception of Mazzone.

So because everyone else thinks his one hit wonder wasn't an accident we should buy into it? And as long as everyone else isn't interested in hiring a manager that has proven to be a winner several times over, we should stay away from him? I think you have to do better than that. I'm concerned about Girardi because I read on here (someone correct me if this is bad information) that he wanted to play his Vets and stay away from the yonger players and was forced to play them which is why he had success. So if that's true, how can you attribute some much glory to him? Sounds like you could make the case the Marlins succeeded in spite of him.

I don't know. You would think that it would be in his best interest to wait because it is likely there will be more job opportunities in the offseason.

But, for that same reason, if he is the guy the Orioles want- then it would be in the teams best interest to hire him now, while there is no competition for his services.

Girardi may actually want this job. Hiring McPhail might have been the key to selling him on the fact that PA is willing to change his ways.

And another reason for Girardi taking the job- a "bird in the hand" is worth more than "two in the bushes". There are no guarantees in life. What happens if Girardi waits til the offseason and no offers come ?

Also the two jobs he probably coveted most are not likely to be possibilities. It seems like Mattingly is the anointed successor in NY and CHI just hired Sweet Lou.

I usually put myself through it everyday, too... just because there's nothing else to listen to. Sometimes it's physically painful, but she does manage to lure some pretty good guests sometimes.

Then she asks them if they like sushi and what they thought of the dancing with the stars finale.

I usually switch back and forth between her and Rob Long. When Rob Long starts talking basketball I will switch to Anita. When Anita is talking about dumb stuff, I will switch back to Rob. It's a hassle

I live in SoFla and when I can't get the Orioles games it's usually the Malins games I see. I also read the Palm Beach Post Sports section most days which of course has a lot of focus on the Marlins. I was very impressed w/how he handled the Marlins. And even more impressed that to him what was right was sometimes more important than what was in his best interests. I.e having the courage to call out Loria when he was making a fool of himself in a way that could of had a detrimental effect on his players. I like that trait in a manager.

Can you provide supporting details of what you liked about his handling of the team other than he had the kahonas to tell the owner to shutup? Do you have links to articles where players or other teams members expressed things about him that we can quantify?

I agree with you.

I like Girardi and think he would be a nice shot in the arm.

I really like Trembley too, but there is that stigma that he's just another internal face. I don't know if there's much credence to the theory that it's best to not promote from within a losing organization, but that's the only reason I would be averse to making Trembley the permanent guy.

Some other guys might as emerge as the "hot" candidates of the day.

Besides, his style may not be coveted by all clubs.

Any owner that is freindly with Loria may have second thoughts. Many bosses don't like to hire the type of manager that talks back / argues with upper management.

Jayson Stark on Mike and Mike this morning stated that Girardi originally was not goiing to take the job because of Angelos. Now Girardi is seriously considering taking the job solely because MacPhail conveyed to him that Angelos had handed the reins over to him and that he wouldn't meddle in things.

Also Stark said Steve Phillips was wrong in saying the O's job was the worst because he didn't take into account that the working conditions had changed, plus we are a "sleeping giant". That's the 3rd time we've heard sleeping giant used to characterize this team.

Archived