O's Offer Girardi Job

Birds08

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jayson Stark on Mike and Mike this morning stated that Girardi originally was not goiing to take the job because of Angelos. Now Girardi is seriously considering taking the job solely because MacPhail conveyed to him that Angelos had handed the reins over to him and that he wouldn't meddle in things.

Also Stark said Steve Phillips was wrong in saying the O's job was the worst because he didn't take into account that the working conditions had changed, plus we are a "sleeping giant". That's the 3rd time we've heard sleeping giant used to characterize this team.

The funny thing is Grenny and Golic seem to be paying more attention to Phillips and Kruk than Stark.

Can you provide supporting details of what you liked about his handling of the team other than he had the kahonas to tell the owner to shutup? Do you have links to articles where players or other teams members expressed things about him that we can quantify?

It would cost you some money but if you wanted to learn alot about Girardi and how he handles the team you could sign up for the PB Post archives. If you just went through the Sunday paper articles you'd come across a lot of articles with analysis and that talk alot about Girardi.

What I liked most about his style is that he is no nonsense and demands that his players play the game the right way. He got a team that noone gave a chance and made them believe in themselves and overachieve. Kind of the polar opposite of recent Orioles managers.

Jayson Stark on Mike and Mike this morning stated that Girardi originally was not goiing to take the job because of Angelos. Now Girardi is seriously considering taking the job solely because MacPhail conveyed to him that Angelos had handed the reins over to him and that he wouldn't meddle in things.

Also Stark said Steve Phillips was wrong in saying the O's job was the worst because he didn't take into account that the working conditions had changed, plus we are a "sleeping giant". That's the 3rd time we've heard sleeping giant used to characterize this team.

We are a sleeping giant.

The one who has put us to sleep is PA. He is the only one standing between us and a return to greatness. All he has to do is step back and allow his baseball people to make ALL the baseball decisions.

We were the Kings of the AL East back in 96/97. Then came the infamous Bonilla trade-veto that soured Gillick on the organization and led to his leaving at the end of the season.............. You know the rest of the story. :(

We are a sleeping giant.

The one who has put us to sleep is PA. He is the only one standing between us and a return to greatness. All he has to do is step back and allow his baseball people to make ALL the baseball decisions.

We were the Kings of the AL East back in 96/97. Then came the infamous Bonilla trade-veto that soured Gillick on the organization and led to his leaving at the end of the season.............. You know the rest of the story. :(

Yeah I know we are, it's just to nice to know that national media types and other GMs know as well. Like I've said before, this Andy MacPhail hiring is the biggest signing by the O's in the past 10 years.

If Girardi used Bedard the way he used Willis last season, people would be calling for his head here. Girardi has accomplished nothing at all in his "career" as a manager. I know everyone wants a guy who will get in the face of the players etc, but what exactly has Girardi shown over the course of one friggen season to warrant all the man-crushes?

The team he had in Florida while being cheap, was far from untalented.

Davey Johnson would be a much smarter choice.

If Girardi used Bedard the way he used Willis last season, people would be calling for his head here. Girardi has accomplished nothing at all in his "career" as a manager. I know everyone wants a guy who will get in the face of the players etc, but what exactly has Girardi shown over the course of one friggen season to warrant all the man-crushes?

The team he had in Florida while being cheap, was far from untalented.

Davey Johnson would be a much smarter choice.

If were not going to do the right thing and rebuild then I agree w/you about DJ.

Now if we were to rebuild and your criteria is that they have been at it for more than one friggen season whom are you going to get?

The only problem I have with Johnson is that he is 64 years old. Let's say we rebuild. All the fruits of those trades may not fully bloom for 3 years. He will be 67 years old, then. Is his passion for the game going to be strong at 67. He was a smoker and heavy drinker. What will his health be like at 67 years old? Not trying to be cold. 10 years ago he was great. He may still be great but for how long. Davey has never been the model of health, although I hear he is doing much better in recent years. He was simply amazing every stop of his career but I just am not sure if hiring Johnson accomplishes what we hope it will.

You think they blast us now. Wait until we hire the 64 year old Johnson who we essentially booted out the door 10 years ago and neither Johnson nor the Orioles have been relevant ever since. Check the headlines on that.

And I love Davey Johnson. I've always been an Orioles fan and I had season tickets to the 1985 and 1986 Mets and loved what Davey did with those teams. I personally think Davey Johnson is a Hall of Fame manager. And he loves to utilize platoons. Will he take a rebuilding scenario though?

Girardi can be here for 10 years if he is successful.

The only problem I have with Johnson is that he is 64 years old. Let's say we rebuild. All the fruits of those trades may not fully bloom for 3 years. He will be 67 years old, then. Is his passion for the game going to be strong at 67. He was a smoker and heavy drinker. What will his health be like at 67 years old? Not trying to be cold. 10 years ago he was great. He may still be great but for how long. Davey has never been the model of health, although I hear he is doing much better in recent years. He was simply amazing every stop of his career but I just am not sure if hiring Johnson accomplishes what we hope it will.

You think they blast us now. Wait until we hire the 64 year old Johnson who we essentially booted out the door 10 years ago and neither Johnson nor the Orioles have been relevant ever since. Check the headlines on that.

And I love Davey Johnson. I've always been an Orioles fan and I had season tickets to the 1985 and 1986 Mets and loved what Davey did with those teams. I personally think Davey Johnson is a Hall of Fame manager. And he loves to utilize platoons. Will he take a rebuilding scenario though?

Girardi can be here for 10 years if he is successful.

IMO the problem is that if DJ is hired there will be no attempt to rebuild. It would be more about trying to patch the biggest holes and hope he can win with what we've got.

It would cost you some money but if you wanted to learn alot about Girardi and how he handles the team you could sign up for the PB Post archives. If you just went through the Sunday paper articles you'd come across a lot of articles with analysis and that talk alot about Girardi.

What I liked most about his style is that he is no nonsense and demands that his players play the game the right way.

He got a team that noone gave a chance and made them believe in themselves and overachieve. Kind of the polar opposite of recent Orioles managers.

Sounds like you're talking about Davey Johnson. :P

How do you address his not wanting to play the youngsters in favor of older Vets and because he was forced to his success was made?

I don't have anything against JG, it's just that we've just fired our 2 most recent managers who were hired with little to no experience. I'm a little hesitent to do it again when I know there is a manager available that has shown what he can do time and time again.

According to the updated Sun article, Rick Dempsey could be interviewed today.:eek:

Popular former catcher Rick Dempsey, currently a broadcaster with Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, could be interviewed for the position today, according to two team sources.

Also, they may not need to interview a minority candidate.....

Major League Baseball rules stipulate that when hiring in key positions, such as general manager, assistant general manager and field manager, minority candidates have to be considered. But if the Orioles communicate to the commissioner's office that Girardi is the man they want and interviewing a minority would be done only to satisfy the rule, they may not be required to do so.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-os0620,0,6122363.story?coll=bal-sports-baseball

The funny thing is Grenny and Golic seem to be paying more attention to Phillips and Kruk than Stark.

Its more for humor than anything else. They did a funny segment on what jobs would be worse than managing for the Orioles. People sent in some funny stuff, like XXX Theater mopper :eek:

Its more for humor than anything else. They did a funny segment on what jobs would be worse than managing for the Orioles. People sent in some funny stuff, like XXX Theater mopper :eek:

Yeah, most people don't get that sometimes. They lean towards the deadpan humor. Yeah it hurts, when it's about us, but hey, we do it ourselves. We're just not used to being in this much of the spotlight lately.

And the fact that they're even going to give Rick Dempsey an interview scares the living piss out of me.

Archived