Best Defensive Outfielder Available?

TheBee

4 hours ago, TheBee said:

Forget offense.  Who is the best defensive corner outfielder available?  Stats gurus...Who do the defensive metrics point to?  Those that put more emphasis on "the eye test" and intangibles...what do you say?  

Boras says it is Alvarez!

10 hours ago, Number5 said:

I don't see how a defensive replacement/pinch-runner type fits on the active roster, especially if he bats left-handed.  Our starting nine seems set vs. RHP, with Kim in LF, Smith in RF, and Trumbo at DH.  We'll have Flaherty and either Pena or Joseph on the bench, making eleven active position players.  As of now, Rickard looks to be Kim's platoon partner in LF, so that's twelve.  One left.  If Trumbo plays RF vs. LHP, we would need a DH that hits right handed.  If we keep Trumbo at DH vs. LHP, we would need someone we can start in RF vs. LHP.  Either way, it would seem that it needs to be a right-handed hitter who isn't an automatic out.  Smith absolutely can't hit LHP, and the jury is very much out on Kim, so playing one of those two every day seems unlikely.  It just seems to me that Tavarez will have a hard time making the team as things stand right now, and guys like Bourn and Lough don't seem to fit, either.  Right now, Mancini is a possible answer to DH vs. LHP.  Otherwise, it seems like we would be looking at signing or trading for a right-handed bat, preferably an outfielder.

With this all in mind, I think Desmond Jennings is a perfect fit. 

Archived