Should We Trade Jones?

ELMERO

Openly expressing his true feelings has appeared to create a negative effect, in general, thus making it appear he has become  somewhat of a "malcontent".  We certainly can't have tension in the clubhouse.  I don't think he's the fun guy, leader anymore.  I think it hurts him that Machado, Schoop and Trumbo have emerged as more popular with the fans.  Hate to think that of the guy who has meant so much to this franchise.  Maybe he needs a change of scenery.  Maybe it's time to part ways with him, but to whom and for what?  Maybe Granderson, Wilmer Flores and one of their young arms, to be groomed as starter at Norfolk for next year?  Any other ideas?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is a leader expressing true accurate thoughts. He wants to win. The only reason to trade him is if you are going to blow this team up, which means there will be a lot of other stars to go. Management needs to listen to him and trade for better outfield defense with high OBP's and speed. It will not come cheap.

AJ will not be traded.

Adam is right about the outfield defense.   No amount of positioning will overcome the lack of range in the corner outfield positions.  If Rickard can step up it will help.   I expect many games to end with Tavarez/Jones/Rickard in the game when the O's have a lead.

1 hour ago, ELMERO said:

Openly expressing his true feelings has appeared to create a negative effect...

He didn't express his true feelings. He stated facts. 

Please provide a link to evidence of your contention that stating those facts has created a "negative effect."

I think you're fishing. I also think you've got your fishing pole stuck in an unfortunate place.

Does anyone know how to implement the "Ignore" feature on the new board?

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

AJ will not be traded.

Adam is right about the outfield defense.   No amount of positioning will overcome the lack of range in the corner outfield positions.  If Rickard can step up it will help.   I expect many games to end with Tavarez/Jones/Rickard in the game when the O's have a lead.

He's right about the corner outfielders but he's wrong if he doesn't think he was part of the problem last year. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Racist crap?  Where the heck do you get that interpretation.  I may not agree but some of you guys are over doing it.   

Yeah, I don't see it either.   I don't think Jones comments are any big deal or will cause any serious clubhouse issues, but having a contrary view isn't racist.    

Question:  If Mark Trumbo had said, "I think part of our problem is that Adam Jones has lost a step and plays too shallow," wouldn't that raise some eyebrows?   It's legitimate to question whether remarks by a player about his teammates will have a negative impact in the clubhouse, even if the remarks were true and well-intentioned.    But I don't think what Jones said is a big deal.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I don't see it either.   I don't think Jones comments are any big deal or will cause any serious clubhouse issues, but having a contrary view isn't racist.    

Question:  If Mark Trumbo had said, "I think part of our problem is that Adam Jones has lost a step and plays too shallow," wouldn't that raise some eyebrows?   It's legitimate to question whether remarks by a player about his teammates will have a negative impact in the clubhouse, even if the remarks were true and well-intentioned.    But I don't think what Jones said is a big deal.    

I think a lot of the same folks would also call that racist.

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Trumbo and Jones are in different positions on the team.  Jones is a long term player.  A team leader. Someone who has helped turn the team into a winner.  Someone who lobbied the owner to re-sign Davis, and his request actually happened.

Trumbo as been here a year and is known as a quiet slugger, not a team clubhouse leader.

So when Jones points out that he needs help in the outfield from players with more range, that point of view carries more weight than comments from Trumbo.

Jones has shined a light on an area he believes needs attention for the O's to be a World Series team.  Now we will see what management does about it.

Just now, wildcard said:

Trumbo and Jones are in difference positions on the team.  Jones is a long term player.  A team leader. Someone who has helped turn the team into a winner.  Someone who lobbied the owner to re-sign Davis, and his request actually happened.

Trumbo as been here a year and is known as a quiet slugger, not a team clubhouse leader.

So when Jones points out that he needs help in the outfield from player with more range that point of view carries more weight than comments from Trumbo.

Jones has shined a light on an area he believes needs attention for the O's to be a World Series team.  Now we will see what management does about it.

Right, because a team without much of a farm system and little budget room can fix that type of issue in the middle of February.

The best solution would be bring in a plus glove in center and move Jones to right.  That would fix 2/3s of the outfield in one move.

But I'm betting Jones wouldn't be happy with that solution.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right, because a team without much of a farm system and little budget room can fix that type of issue in the middle of February.

The best solution would be bring in a plus glove in center and move Jones to right.  That would fix 2/3s of the outfield in one move.

Now that's racist - er - no just a senior OH Plus member contributor telling it like it is? :D

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Depends on who the plus glove is.  If it were a GG major league CF Jones may welcome the move to RF.   If its a rookie with range he will probably have to earn his stripes before Jones moves.

The O's have two players that will be in camp that have better range than Kim, Smith and Trumbo for the corners.   Rickard and Tavarez.   It is unknown if either can hit enough to play full time.   ST will be a time for both to show what they can do.

Dan is looking for additional help.  He has Mancini as trade bait.  Smith or Kim  could also be part of a deal.  This will be a developing story during ST and maybe into the season IMO.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Depends on who the plus glove is.  If it were a GG major league CF Jones may welcome the move to RF.   If its a rookie with range he will probably have to earn his stripes before Jones moves.

The O's have two players that will be in camp that have better range than Kim, Smith and Trumbo for the corners.   Rickard and Tavarez.   It is unknown if either can hit enough to play full time.   ST will be a time for both to show what they can do.

Dan is looking for additional help.  He has Mancini as trade bait.  Smith or Kim  could also be part of a deal.  This will be a developing story during ST and maybe into the season IMO.

Yea, Jones would probably be willing to move for a Trout or Kiermaier 9_9.  Somehow I don't think they can be had for Mancini and Brach.

Archived