Ranking the O's starting depth

wildcard

37 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Can we add David Hess to this list going into next season?

Add Means and Long while you are at it.  I think all of them have a better shot as a starter than Castro (I like Castro and he was a great pick-up on the cheap, I just don't think he has the command or arsenal to start).  The O's should have some in-house competition (although not particularly exciting competition) for the backend of the rotation.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Add Means and Long while you are at it.  I think all of them have a better shot as a starter than Castro (I like Castro and he was a great pick-up on the cheap, I just don't think he has the command or arsenal to start).  The O's should have some in-house competition (although not particularly exciting competition) for the backend of the rotation.

So...

Scratch:

Nuno
Bleier
Varrett
Gunkel
Garcia

Add:

Castro
Means
Long
Hess 
Ramirez

4 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

We need at least two decent starters from outside the organization.    I'm OK having an internal battle for the 5th spot.

I saw in the BA Eastern League top 20 chat, someone asked if Long got any consideration for the list and the response was "not really."    The writer said that Long is viewed as more of a 6th starter type, rather than someone who can be a regular in a rotation.  http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/eastern-league-top-20-chat/#JHHH0fa4Kvh3kSRk.97

Just now, Frobby said:

We need at least two decent starters from outside the organization.    I'm OK having an internal battle for the 5th spot.

I saw in the BA Eastern League top 20 chat, someone asked if Long got any consideration for the list and the response was "not really."    The writer said that Long is viewed as more of a 6th starter type, rather than someone who can be a regular in a rotation.  http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/eastern-league-top-20-chat/#JHHH0fa4Kvh3kSRk.97

Yeah, I agree he's more of a spot start kind of guy, who'd do better in shorter stints out of the bullpen.  I think he's underrated though, he's treated by analysts as a no stuff control guy (that's the only way you explain away a guy that put up his numbers in AA), put he's got a plus fastball, and both his secondaries flash average.  If he can get the secondaries to average, he's a #4 starter IMO.

I also think we need 2 guys from outside the org.  The plan I've repeated a couple times is spend on one, trade for one.  We have some outfield depth in the upper minors, let's package it for a young starter (I was hoping the O's would be able to trade Britton for that young starter but alas).  By young starter I mean either a backend top 100 starter prospect who is unproven at the MLB level or a controllable young big league starter who maybe hasn't lived up to their potential yet.  I made a list of guys that fit this bill a while back I think.

7 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

So ......

Scratch:

Nuno
Bleier
Varrett
Gunkel
Garcia

Add:

Castro
Means
Long
Hess 
Ramirez

o

Gunkel is no longer with the organization. He was traded to the Dodgers in April, and selected off of waivers by the Marlins shortly afterward.

o

19 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

3 free Passes (2 Walks and 1 Hit Batsman) over 8 Innings Pitched.

Retired 10 out of the final 11 batters that he faced, with the only batter reaching safely in that span coming via a swinging-bunt single.

67% of the outs that Ynoa recorded (16 out of 24) came via the Groundout and the Strikeout.

24 OUTS: 11 Groundouts (Including 2 Double Plays), 4 Popouts, 3 Strikeouts, 3 Flyouts, 1 Caught Stealing

GABRIEL YNOA  GOMEZ )))))) (vs. DEVIL RAYS, 9/21)

IP:lll8

H:lllll5 (2 Doubles, 3 Singles)

R:lllll1

BB:ll) *

SO:lll3

Pitches: l) 94 )(61 )Strikes, )33 )Balls)

2017 ERA: l) 3.41

2017 WHIP: l) 1.295 )   31.67 IP  (41 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVERAGE: )l .276 (34 for 123)

* ) Ynoa also had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

15 lll(71 lStrikes, lllllBalls)

10 lll(71 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

17 lll(12 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

12 llll(71 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

12 llll(51 llStrikes, llllBalls)

91 llll(71 llStrikes, llllBalls)

91 llll(81 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

10 llll(81 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

o

o

Ynoa Goes Career-High 8 Innings in 3-1 Win 

(By Roch Kubatko)

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/09/ynoa-goes-career-high-eight-innings-in-3-1-win.html

o

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

The one that was used to start this thread.

o

I think the fact that he was traded in April (and subsequently DFA'd by that team and picked up by another team) can remove him from any relevant conversation about who is to be ranked in the Orioles' starting rotation.

o

8 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

I think the fact that he was traded in April (and subsequently DFA'd by that team and picked up by another team) can remove him from any relevant conversation about who is to be ranked in the Orioles' starting rotation.

o

Of course, that's why Dirty Bird was updating the list to reflect current relevance.

Just now, phillyOs119 said:

Of course, that's why Dirty Bird was updating the list to reflect current relevance.

Maybe I should have used big letters, alternating color and increasing in size with each line. I would have used the smallest font for Gunkel to reflect that he has been irrelevant the longest.

Archived