Ranking the O's starting depth

wildcard

Steve Melewski does a nice job of talking through the O's starter depth after the O's starting five.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2017/02/after-the-starting-five-how-does-the-depth-look-for-the-orioles.html

So let's hear from you. How do you rank the O's starting depth and why?

Here is mine:

1) Vidal Nuno - (30) As a starter his career stats are: 4-17. 4.40 ERA, 229 IP. 221 H.  175 SO, 1.249 WHIP

2) Gabriel Ynoa - (24) 0-0, 3.18 ERA, 3 S,  11 IP, 14 H, 11 SO,  1.500 WHIP as a ML starter

12-9, 3.97 ERA,  25 S, 154 IP, 170 H, 78 SO, 1.361 WHIP in the  AAA PCL.

3) Richard Bleier - (29) As a ML reliever: 1.96 ERA, 23 IP, 29H. 13 SO, 1.043 WHIP

AAA - 9-6, 3.29 ERA, 33G, 23S. 147 IP, 167 H, 60 SO, 1.30 WHIP.   The fact that he has  had success in the majors is a plus.

4) Tyler Wilson - (27)  5-8, 5.33 ERA, 18 S, 98 IP, 111 H, 49 SO, 1.418 WHIP as a ML starter

11-8, 3.54 ERA, 35 S, 188 IP, 181 H, 149 SO, 1.186 WHIP at AAA

5) Logan Verrett - (27) 2-7,  5.68 ERA, 16 S, 82 IP, 81 H, 60 SO, 1.457 WHIP as a ML starter

18-8, 4.26 ERA, 48 G, 41 S, 238 IP, 265 H. 177 SO, 1.384 WHIP at AAA PCL

6)  Mike Wright - (27)  5-9, 6.23 ERA, 21 S, 105 IP, 119 H. 72 SO, 1.500 WHIP as a starter in the ML

18-16, 3.50 ERA, 54 S, 306 IP, 296 H, 216 SO, 1.227 WHIP at AAA

7) Joe Gunkel - (25) 8-11, 4.08 ERA, 24 S, 141 IP, 156 H, 94 SO, 1.231 WHIP at AAA

8) Chris Lee - (24) 9-2, 3.02 ERA, 15G 14S, 89 IP, 73 H, 45 SO, 1.187 WHIP at AA

9) Jason Garcia - (24) 1-0 4.25 ERA, 0 S, 29 IP 25 H, 22 SO, 1,418 WHIP in the ML

7-12, 4.67 ERA, 33G, 24 S, 138 IP, 149 H, 85  SO, 1.529 WHIP at AA

How do you rank them?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/23/2017 at 7:22 PM, wildcard said:

9) Jason Garcia  - (24) 1-0 4.25 ERA, 0 S, 29 IP 25 H, 22 SO, 1,418 WHIP in the ML

o

6 OUTS: o 2 Strikeouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Groundout, 1 Popout 

JASON EMILIGARCIA o)o (vs. TIGERS, 3/06) )) [ [Spring Training] 

IP:;)..l2

H:))))l  0  ll

R:ll)lll) 0

BB:olll)0 *

SO:l))l 2

Pitches: l) (Unavailable)

2017 ERA: l) 7.94 0(Spring Training)

*  Garcia had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

(Unavailable)

I'll rank mine based on my confidence level.

1) Vidal Nuno - not good, but not bad.  He is the one with the best track record.  He is much better than his W-L record... for example he went 0-7 in Arizona with a 100 ERA+ and a 1.088 WHIP in 14 starts.

(Wade Miley)

2) Logan Verrett - again I'm going with someone who has shown he can succeed.  He was awful in 2016 but pretty good the year before.  It seems like he has a problem with walks when he doesn't do well.

3) Gabriel Ynoa - he is half a good starting pitcher in terms of stuff, and may have the highest ceiling, but right now I think he's better off as a reliever.  He needs to work on that fastball and if it improves I think he's a MOR quality starter.

4) Tyler Wilson - with pinpoint control as his calling card, the big obstacle between him and major league success is his nerve.  If he pitches afraid, he will be slaughtered.  If he pitches with confidence, I wouldn't mind trotting him out there every now and then.

5) Mike Wright - Mr. Meh.  He improved across the board last year but still stunk.  That said he has shown he can do well at the AAA level, he has an assortment of Meh pitches and maybe more experience is all he needs.

6) Joe Gunkel - like Tyler Wilson, his minor league walk rates are very good but his stuff isn't what you want and he is getting hit at the AA and AAA levels.  He's rated lower because he has zero major league experience.

7) Chris Lee - I'm looking for this guy to shoot up the charts this season but he still hasn't pitched above AA.

8) Richard Bleier - the OP mentions his brief success as a rookie but he was much better against LHB (.409 OPS, 12 K in 43 PA) than RHB (.740, 1 K in 49 PA) and he just looks like a LOOGY at the major league level.  I want him in the pen, not starting.

9) Jason Garcia - I have no idea how improved he is but he must be improved or he won't see the majors.

Hopefully the competition pushes these guys in AAA this year.  We really didn't have anyone dominate there last year.  Next year Tillman, Ubaldo and Miley will be FA's.  Nuno, Wright, WIlson, Verrett, Ynoa, and Aquino will all be out of options next year, so they'd have to make the team out of ST or be DFA'd.  

Throw in Gunkel and the competition for spots in the 2018 rotation has begun.  

For me, I see Vidal Nuno as a bullpen piece that can serve as a spot starter from time-to-time (in the Vance Worley role, except a lefty). He's not someone I would want to be a starter for me for a long stretch, but to fill a spot start here or there, I'm fine with that. He's been better as a reliever though and I want the bulk of his innings to come in that role. 

I'm also on board with a similar role for Tyler Wilson. He looked good at times last year and got over exposed at other times. He's a long reliever in the big leagues in my mind and shouldn't be atop the list to get starts outside from a one-off if he's well rested. If one (or more) of the top-5 go down for any extended period, he'd be closer to the bottom of the list to fill in for that extended period. 

I've liked what I've seen/heard from Wright so far in Spring Training. I still think he's best suited in the pen, but he may be the first one up. Ultimately, Gabriel Ynoa is the guy I'd want to be the fill-in piece. If his command is right, Logan Verrett would be No. 2. 

13 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I'll rank mine based on my confidence level.

1) Vidal Nuno - not good, but not bad.  He is the one with the best track record.  He is much better than his W-L record... for example he went 0-7 in Arizona with a 100 ERA+ and a 1.088 WHIP in 14 starts.

(Wade Miley)

2) Logan Verrett - again I'm going with someone who has shown he can succeed.  He was awful in 2016 but pretty good the year before.  It seems like he has a problem with walks when he doesn't do well.

3) Gabriel Ynoa - he is half a good starting pitcher in terms of stuff, and may have the highest ceiling, but right now I think he's better off as a reliever.  He needs to work on that fastball and if it improves I think he's a MOR quality starter.

4) Tyler Wilson - with pinpoint control as his calling card, the big obstacle between him and major league success is his nerve.  If he pitches afraid, he will be slaughtered.  If he pitches with confidence, I wouldn't mind trotting him out there every now and then.

5) Mike Wright - Mr. Meh.  He improved across the board last year but still stunk.  That said he has shown he can do well at the AAA level, he has an assortment of Meh pitches and maybe more experience is all he needs.

6) Joe Gunkel - like Tyler Wilson, his minor league walk rates are very good but his stuff isn't what you want and he is getting hit at the AA and AAA levels.  He's rated lower because he has zero major league experience.

7) Chris Lee - I'm looking for this guy to shoot up the charts this season but he still hasn't pitched above AA.

8) Richard Bleier - the OP mentions his brief success as a rookie but he was much better against LHB (.409 OPS, 12 K in 43 PA) than RHB (.740, 1 K in 49 PA) and he just looks like a LOOGY at the major league level.  I want him in the pen, not starting.

9) Jason Garcia - I have no idea how improved he is but he must be improved or he won't see the majors.

Good post.  These guys all are 4/5th SP, swing guy types.  Hopefully next year Sedlock and Harvey will much closer to the MLB.  

1. Nuno

2. Ynoa

3. Wilson

4. Verrett

5. Aquino He is not on anyone's list but his stuff looks good in Spring.

6. Blier

7. Wright(I'd have him higher put I think his stuff plays better as a 1 inning guy comming in and throwing mid to upper 90's

8. Gunkel

9. Lee

10. Garcia( more bullpen guy to me)

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good post.  These guys all are 4/5th SP, swing guy types.  Hopefully next year Sedlock and Harvey will much closer to the MLB.  

Yeah, but there's a big difference between a serviceable #4/5 pitcher (Nuno) and AAAA fodder (Wright, IMO).  I think it's significant that Duquette picked up three pitchers that at are at least competitive with Wilson and Wright in the pecking order.  Those being the two spot-starters that saw significant time last year (13 GS for Wilson, 12 for Wright).  And two of them came from the same organization!  (thank you Mets)

I really don't see what anyone sees in Joe Gunkel, but nobody sees what I like David Hess, so fair trade off.

This is a good thread, be interesting to see how the ranking changes as ST progresses.

And of course Wright is a backend BP arm. Been saying that for 2 years now. He could easily replace Brach IMO.

20 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I really don't see what anyone sees in Joe Gunkel, but nobody sees what I like David Hess, so fair trade off.

This is a good thread, be interesting to see how the ranking changes as ST progresses.

And of course Wright is a backend BP arm. Been saying that for 2 years now. He could easily replace Brach IMO.

Nobody "easily replaces" a very good back end reliever like Brach. I'd say the odds that Wright reaches Brach's level as a reliever are 20% at best.  

Archived