Is Dan going in the wrong direction with aging players?

wildcard

32 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Is it DD's fault Mancini is a one trick pony, by his defensive abilities?

Only the Orioles thought to draft the guy who protected Eric Jagielo at Notre Dame. Of course He was older. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Well,  no, but Dan's also known that for some time.

If the organization doesn't find a way to get some value out of Mancini, either by platooning him at DH or by eventually trading him for another piece, it'll be Dan's fault. But only then, if it transpires.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

No, but it is his fault for signing two of them (maybe three, if you count Kim) with Mancini appearing capable of holding down DH. I am not saying it is the wrong decision, only that it is a clear case of DD favoring a veteran over developing a player.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

No, but it is his fault for signing two of them (maybe three, if you count Kim) with Mancini appearing capable of holding down DH. I am not saying it is the wrong decision, only that it is a clear case of DD favoring a veteran over developing a player.

Maybe you sign a couple of them, because you dont know how things will develop. We all thought Snyder would make an everyday COF and that didn't work out too well.

Mancini is still only a prospect, and a prospect that doesn't play the field, really doesn't have much trade value, so only thing DD can do, let him play, if he plays well, thats a bonus, if not then send him to AAA or DFA him.

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Maybe you sign a couple of them, because you dont know how things will develop. We all thought Snyder would make an everyday COF and that didn't work out too well.

Mancini is still only a prospect, and a prospect that doesn't play the field, really doesn't have much trade value, so only thing DD can do, let him play, if he plays well, thats a bonus, if not then send him to AAA or DFA him.

Like I said, I am not arguing against it.  Just pointing out that it is an example of DD signing a veteran as more than just a stopgap. For the record, I like the Trumbo deal, but did not like the Davis deal.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Like I said, I am not arguing against it.  Just pointing out that it is an example of DD signing a veteran as more than just a stopgap. For the record, I like the Trumbo deal, but did not like the Davis deal.

I like Davis and IMO, I dont think he will be a bust like Howard, but I wish they hadnt spent so much.

18 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Huh, really? Everyone?

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Not one bit, sorry was just having fun, and was just agreeing that we dont know too much about the future.

I know neither is perfect, but at times, I wonder if we dont over analyse their every breath.

They helped bring winning baseball back to this town, and I for one, am grateful.

The Hangout? Over analyse??? The hell you say!

33 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

He plays 1B.

Just now, ArtVanDelay said:

So he barely plays a position.  First base prospects aren't exactly highly sought after. 

Considering the list of Orioles that can play first is, at least; Davis, Trumbo, Flaherty

Not exactly a strong need for another first that can't play elsewhere.

Archived