Adam "Real American Hero" Jones

ChuckS

2 minutes ago, Orsulak4Prez said:

I have really been enjoying it this year. Previously I thought it was just an opportunity to invite more injury, but I'm glad I gave it a chance. These games are very entertaining.

I sure would rather have Archer pitching than Roark.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I sure would rather have Archer pitching than Roark.

I'd rather have Archer than Stroman for the final as well. Though that's probably just due to my opinions of their primary employers. 

Apparently Archer was told not to even go to LA for the finals since he wouldn't be pitching. I feel bad for the guy. He was clearly very excited to pitch for USA in the first round. I'm not sure how many other players contributed to the team in earlier rounds but aren't there for the finals experience. 

6 hours ago, weams said:

Jim Leyland " The guy who woke me up a little bit is Adam Jones. He's into it!"

Can we give the guy the "C" on his jersey?  It's about time.  

The guy is a winner.  We had to get rid of the losers like Roberts, Markakis and Wieters.  A touch of sarcasm, but really just a touch though.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Can we give the guy the "C" on his jersey?  It's about time.  

The guy is a winner.  We had to get rid of the losers like Roberts, Markakis and Wieters.  A touch of sarcasm, but really just a touch though.  

Was Wieters not here while the team has been winning?   Did the team not have four losing seasons while Adam was here?

I like Adam, he's a good player and plays hard.   I'd like to see him have a postseason performance for us that more closely resembles his WTC performance than his past major league postseason performance (.413 OPS in 63 PA).

1 minute ago, dan-O said:

People act surprised when this all-or-nothing lineup that we see drop productivity for weeks at a time during the regular season, do nothing in the post-season. Yeah! That's the type of lineup we have! It's not just Adam Jones, and the amount of crap he gets for it is completely unfair. 

Hey - remember when Chris Davis was a god damn bonehead and got dinged for PEDs right before the postseason? Woops! I've seen less about that than I have about Adam Jones not being good in the playoffs. 

Wieters and Markakis were both injured for the postseason. 

When we look back at this good run, we'll realize that Adam Jones was in every postseason, posting up, playing good defense, and yes - even driving in runs!

It wouldn't be a thing if I didn't see it so much. Of course I wish Jones was better in the playoffs also. I've made comments myself about it. But look - he far and away gets the brunt of this kind of talk and it really is unwarranted. 

One would almost think that the ball didn't carry in October like it does in August.

2 hours ago, dan-O said:

I'm sorry but I hate this comment. I see it so much and, frankly, it's a BS comment, Frobby. Why exactly do people always seem to single out Adam Jones for his postseason performance when the following is true:

Lew Ford hit .375 in the postseason in 2012.

Chris Davis went 5-24 in 2012 with 0 home runs and 9 strikeouts.

Jim Thome, clutch veteran signed specifically for the playoffs, hit under .200.

Jones had 6 hits and 3 RBI in the 2014 postseason. So did JJ Hardy. Markakis had 8 hits and 3 RBI.

Steve Pearce has the second most ABs in 2014 and only had 4 hits and a single RBI. 

Jones went 1-5 in the 2016 wild card game. No other Oriole achieved more than one hit. 

It's time to stop the myth that Adam Jones sucks in the playoffs because SO MANY OTHER Orioles did also. We go on and on about small samples on the website and yet, for seemingly Adam Jones alone, we throw that out when the playoffs roll around because... why, exactly? He's a frustrating player who strikes out a lot? So is Chris Davis. He hacks at the first pitch? So does Manny Machado at times. Because we think he's the leader of the team? He may be, but so was Wieters, so is Hardy, so is Davis. So is Buck, who single-handedly blew it last season! 

So - enough. This is a weak argument with, frankly, a bad look attached to it, and even worse - doesn't hold up statistically. Do we all wish Jones had hit better in 2012, 2014, and 2016? Sure, but for Christ's sake - we can say that about 75% of the roster! 

I don't understand your reaction at all.    I wasn't singling out Jones -- I was reacting to another poster who singled out Jones as a "winner" while denigrating three former teammates.   And I meant exactly what I said -- I hope Jones' next postseason performance is more like what he's done in the WTC than what he's done in past postseasons.   I don't see how anyone can disagree or interpret that as singling out Jones for criticism.  

i think this experience for Adam makes him a much more relaxed player in the playoffs.  There is nothing like experience to help you perform a high level,  Adam came up real big on the World stage and  that is a positive for the Orioles .  Now let's carry this into a big Start and put the East behind us from the get-go

2 minutes ago, dan-O said:

Sorry to use you as an example, Frob. It's not really that you made the comment in this specific instance, it's just that I've seen the Adam Jones playoff comment so much, and it outweighs every other criticism of any other Orioles player as it relates to the playoffs. By a significant amount. It's a problem that he gets singled out - and he absolutely does. 

I don't know.  Buck is so worried about another Britton playoff meltdown that he won't even put him in the game.

1 hour ago, dan-O said:

Sorry to use you as an example, Frob. It's not really that you made the comment in this specific instance, it's just that I've seen the Adam Jones playoff comment so much, and it outweighs every other criticism of any other Orioles player as it relates to the playoffs. By a significant amount. It's a problem that he gets singled out - and he absolutely does. 

Well, as I said, hopefully his WTC heroics were a harbinger of a great season and postseason to come.    His stats really weren't that overwhelming (.710 OPS), but several of his hits were at critical moments, and of course, there was his great catch.    

Archived