Adam "Real American Hero" Jones

ChuckS

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ba9oriole said:

I meant to say "create an account," but I can't edit my posts because I'm not dumb enough to spend money to have the "privilege" of editing my posts.

o

But you are dumb enough to insult all of the posters on the OH whom are willing to pay the $2 per month that it costs to be a plus member.

You are welcome to post without paying any money, as Tony has made that clear numerous times. Going out of your way to taunt almost all of the regular posters who do isn't particularly wise (or nice.)

9 hours ago, weams said:

Near the end of the GIF, a fan with a black Orioles cap (with the "ornithologically correct bird") on enters from the right side of the frame. I'm sure he got lots of high-fives!

59 minutes ago, ba9oriole said:

Well thankfully we have "geniuses" like you who pay to use a forum. Good job!

It's not a matter of being a genius.    I can listen to NPR for free, but I donate money to them every year.   Why?    Because they need donations to perform their service, and I prefer their service to most of the alternatives I can get on the radio.    I don't begrudge anyone who listens to NPR who chooses not to donate, but it doesn't make them smarter than me.

It certainly does not bother me that Manny, an American citizen, chose to play for the country his family is from.    Lots of people have pride in their family's country of origin.   The WBC wouldn't be very interesting if everyone played for the country where they were born    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's not a matter of being a genius.    I can listen to NPR for free, but I donate money to them every year.   Why?    Because they need donations to perform their service, and I prefer their service to most of the alternatives I can get on the radio.    I don't begrudge anyone who listens to NPR who chooses not to donate, but it doesn't make them smarter than me.

It certainly does not bother me that Manny, an American citizen, chose to play for the country his family is from.    Lots of people have pride in their family's country of origin.   The WBC wouldn't be very interesting if everyone played for the country where they were born    

A fair number of teams wouldn't be able to fill out a roster.  One member of team Israel had an Israeli passport.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A fair number of teams wouldn't be able to fill out a roster.  One member of team Israel had an Israeli passport.

Exactly.   The DR would be fine, but there would be a lot fewer countries able to field a halfway competitive team.  

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

If I can be contrarian just for a moment:  it's a very good catch, but this picture shows Jones really wasn't at full extension.  He's what, 18 inches off the ground?    It's a very good play but we've seen him make many tougher catches in his career.    

Personally, I liked the smoothly realigning twist he made as he neared where he perfectly projected the ball would cross the fence. The intense crowd and fence made it better for me than all the diving horizontal-glides and catches after long runs near but not over the fence I've seen him make. Also, has been mentioned, there's an extra oomph from seeing a young Oriole launch the moonshot into a great Oriole's super-glove.

2 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Personally, I liked the smoothly realigning twist he made as he neared where he perfectly projected the ball would cross the fence. The intense crowd and fence made it better for me than all the diving horizontal-glides and catches after long runs near but not over the fence I've seen him make. Also, has been mentioned, there's an extra oomph from seeing a young Oriole launch the moonshot into a great Oriole's super-glove.

I do think the fact that he had several fans reaching for the ball adds difficulty to the catch, compared to a catch at a fence where the fans are several feet in back of it.   

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It also activates the appealing myth of baseball as something handed down from one's father(land).

Even one of the early S. Korean feature-length baseball manga ("manhwa" in Korean) bases its narrative on this. The young "natural" is trained in the wilds by his father, who had mysteriously withdrawn from Korean baseball at an early age. The teenager is discovered by scouts who bring him to Seoul, where the country bumpkin suffers all sorts of humiliations until the big game where his pitching defeats the "USA" team in the 9th inning.

But it's also a story of reconnecting with one's mother(land). In the audience to watch is the phenom's mother who left the family and moved to another country while he was still a young child. Spotting her in the audience is what inspires him to regain his strength and unleash unbelievably fast pitches.

I think these types of mythic filiations, honored and deepened every four years, actually enrich baseball.

BTW that manhwa was made about 30 years ago.

4 hours ago, weams said:

Manny was up.

Even so, it shows he's adjusting at the very least to the hitter. I remember last season, more than once, balls hit over his head that weren't hit out.

He's much better going right or left than opposed to back on balls.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree with all you have said here.  I also like that Manny is now done. 

I think the one thing I like is that is negates the need for a lot of spring training prep for vets like Schoop, Machado, and Jones. And the at bats they've been receiving at the WBC actually matter. You'd have to think that usually, a lot of the older guys just phone in most spring games.

Archived