New 'What If?' on Teixeira

OrioleLochRaven

I don't think we should trade for Teixeira, or even attempt to sign him as a free agent this offseason. His Texas numbers were always inflated by the home park, and his stats since going to the Braves are nothing to get excited about either. Giving him a hundred million dollar contract would be the biggest mistake since signing Albert Belle.

Draft the best college first baseman available in the coming draft and let the Yankees waste another fortune on Teixeira.

Instead of drafting Smoak, why wouldn't you just bring up Snyder or Rowell? Both can play first. If we don't sign Teixeira, then I would rather they just leave well enough alone.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, a Penn/Liz type guy wouldn't get him. Consider the package the Rangers got last year, and the Braves will probably be looking for something like that. We'd have to give up one/two of our top prospects, and IMHO it's not worth it. Wait until the season is past. Then try to sign him to a big, but not HUGE contract.

If the Yanks spend all their young talent on Teixeira, they'd be making a huge mistake. Let them have Teixeira if they're willing to COMPLETELY ruin their future. I'm not willing to give them Rowell or Snyder or Tillman, which we'd probably have to do.

You wouldn't give them Snyder for Teixeira!?

I'd give them Rowell, one of Olson/Arrieta/Tillman (preferably Olson), and maybe a couple of others, provided we'd have a window to sign him to an extension.

Bet you guys are glad I'm not in the front office. ;)

You wouldn't give them Snyder for Teixeira!?

I'd give them Rowell, one of Olson/Arrieta/Tillman (preferably Olson), and maybe a couple of others, provided we'd have a window to sign him to an extension.

Bet you guys are glad I'm not in the front office. ;)

Well, straight up, yes, but I am one of the people that thinks that Teixeira's numbers were inflated, and Snyder would mean that they would have to end up including Rowell, Olson, and Arrieta/Tillman, which, believe it or not, I would not do.

I don't think we should trade for Teixeira, or even attempt to sign him as a free agent this offseason. His Texas numbers were always inflated by the home park, and his stats since going to the Braves are nothing to get excited about either.

If he played a full season there last year he projected to 50 home runs.

Giving him a hundred million dollar contract would be the biggest mistake since signing Albert Belle.

Which wasn't a real mistake, considering the .289 BA, .883 OPS and 60 home runs he put up in his two years here.

Draft the best college first baseman available in the coming draft and let the Yankees waste another fortune on Teixeira.

I was just going through the list of picks on Baseball-Reference that meet that criteria, and it seems that first-round college first-basemen seem to be pretty safe picks.

Still would try to get Teixiera. He really is the perfect storm when it comes to free agents.

If he played a full season there last year he projected to 50 home runs.

And this year projects 18 home runs w/a .437 SLG%.

Which wasn't a real mistake, considering the .289 BA, .883 OPS and 60 home runs he put up in his two years here.

But it was a five year contract, not two.....

I was just going through the list of picks on Baseball-Reference that meet that criteria, and it seems that first-round college first-basemen seem to be pretty safe picks.

Ya, it appears to be a fat draft for first baseman. We could take Alvarez (fingers crossed) or Matusz in the first round and still probably grab Ike Davis, David Cooper, or Allan Dykstra in the 2nd.

Still would try to get Teixiera. He really is the perfect storm when it comes to free agents.

The Perfect Storm was a disaster movie, remember? :D

Instead of drafting Smoak, why wouldn't you just bring up Snyder or Rowell? Both can play first.

I think Smoak (or several other college 1st basemen who'll be available) would be likely to contribute at the major league level much sooner than Snyder or Rowell. In fact, I'm not sure Snyder & Rowell will ever contribute at the major league level. I'd love to be surprised, but at the very least they're still years away. Justin Smoak could probably start for us right now. *

If we don't sign Teixeira, then I would rather they just leave well enough alone

Do you consider our recent mediocrity at 1st base "well enough"? I sure don't

* an exaggeration, but not by much.

I think Smoak (or several other college 1st basemen who'll be available) would be likely to contribute at the major league level much sooner than Snyder or Rowell. In fact, I'm not sure Snyder & Rowell will ever contribute at the major league level. I'd love to be surprised, but at the very least they're still years away. Justin Smoak could probably start for us right now. *

Do you consider our recent mediocrity at 1st base "well enough"? I sure don't

* an exaggeration, but not by much.

Of course not. But I'd rather spend the first pick on a pitcher or a middle infielder than a first basemen.

And this year projects 18 home runs w/a .437 SLG%.

Yeah. That's called a down year :P

But it was a five year contract, not two.....

Doesn't matter. Injuries were the problem, not production.

You can't just overlook that part of it; that if he had stayed healthy (which other then that fluke condition was likely) it was a great contract.

Ya, it appears to be a fat draft for first baseman. We could take Alvarez (fingers crossed) or Matusz in the first round and still probably grab Ike Davis, David Cooper, or Allan Dykstra in the 2nd.

Plus Alvarez could be a first baseman.

The Perfect Storm was a disaster movie, remember? :D

Actually it was a real storm that had the perfect combination of conditions to make it as deadly as it was.

I know you already knew that :P, but the point is that Teixiera is our perfect storm: hometown boy, fills two major holes as a first baseman and power hitter, and is a free agent right as we both have money to spend and are likely closer then we have been in a decade to competing.

I won't say that we will get him, just as I won't say that we won't.

It is just...PERFECT :)

Isn't Teixeira a notoriously slow starter? I know last year he did.

Last year Tex had a slow April, but raked from May on.

At the end of May '07 he was hitting .298 w/9 HRs & 33 RBI despite doing essentally nothing with the bat the first month of the season.

In one less AB this year he's hitting .274 w/6 HRs & 35 RBI. Sure, we're talking small sample size at this point, but unless Teixeira finishes '08 with .290/30/100 I can't see his next contract being worth what somebody's going to pay him, local boy or not.

Okay, what if Atlanta decides to throw in the towel this season and decides to trade away some of it's coveted parts (i.e. Teixeira) before they hit free agency? It's pretty clear that he won't be resigning in Atlanta.

I know, we don't want to mortgage the future, but what if the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets etc. become players with the intention of trading for him, then signing him long-term?

Do you throw your hat in the ring and make the Braves an offer?

What are you willing to part with to get the right handed power bat that Markakis obviously needs to protect him?

Do you wait him out and hope he still makes it to free agency and that his commitment to becoming an Oriole is stronger than an urge to sign a big contract elsewhere?

No way. The only teams that would trade for him mid season are teams that are "surprisingly" in the race and want a quick 3 month pick-me-up. Nobody will trade top prospects for a 3 month rental. Nobody. We do not have to worry about a trade and sign because Tex IS gonna test the market, no doubt about that one.

I don't think we should trade for Teixeira, or even attempt to sign him as a free agent this offseason. His Texas numbers were always inflated by the home park, and his stats since going to the Braves are nothing to get excited about either. Giving him a hundred million dollar contract would be the biggest mistake since signing Albert Belle.

God I hate this anology. Please people, go bakc and look up Belle's stats in Baltimore. He was All-Star caliber before getting injured. Signing Belle was not a mistake. It was a fluke injury that could not be expected.

Archived