New 'What If?' on Teixeira

OrioleLochRaven

Okay, what if Atlanta decides to throw in the towel this season and decides to trade away some of it's coveted parts (i.e. Teixeira) before they hit free agency? It's pretty clear that he won't be resigning in Atlanta.

I know, we don't want to mortgage the future, but what if the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets etc. become players with the intention of trading for him, then signing him long-term?

Do you throw your hat in the ring and make the Braves an offer?

What are you willing to part with to get the right handed power bat that Markakis obviously needs to protect him?

Do you wait him out and hope he still makes it to free agency and that his commitment to becoming an Oriole is stronger than an urge to sign a big contract elsewhere?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No chance he signs a contract before December, so trading for him would be an awful move.

You really need to stop talking in absolutes...This isn't true at all.

If the Yankees traded for him and offered him a 10/200 extension, i highly doubt he says no thanks.

If the Yankees traded for him and offered him a 10/200 extension, i highly doubt he says no thanks.

No chance the Yankees offer him that contract. :)

Tex is a switch hitter who has had more than 70% of his PAs from the left side:p

You beat me to it :thumbsup1:

But to answer the original question, no. I would not even consider trading for him, unless we were in serious contention. It would be a two-month rental because as others have said, it is exceptionally unlikely that he would sign before testing the FA market.

It would not be worth giving up the prospects it would take IMHO.

I would only trade for him if I didn't have to give up too much (maybe a minor league arm or 2 not named Tillman, Butler , Arrieta..... More likely a Cherry, Liz , Penn type guy. Then I would need time to get a extension done. Otherwise as already said here NO WAY

The pot calling the kettle black.....:laughlol:

I would only trade for him if I didn't have to give up too much (maybe a minor league arm or 2 not named Tillman, Butler , Arrieta..... More likely a Cherry, Liz , Penn type guy. Then I would need time to get a extension done. Otherwise as already said here NO WAY

Well, a Penn/Liz type guy wouldn't get him. Consider the package the Rangers got last year, and the Braves will probably be looking for something like that. We'd have to give up one/two of our top prospects, and IMHO it's not worth it. Wait until the season is past. Then try to sign him to a big, but not HUGE contract.

If the Yanks spend all their young talent on Teixeira, they'd be making a huge mistake. Let them have Teixeira if they're willing to COMPLETELY ruin their future. I'm not willing to give them Rowell or Snyder or Tillman, which we'd probably have to do.

I don't think we should trade for Teixeira, or even attempt to sign him as a free agent this offseason. His Texas numbers were always inflated by the home park, and his stats since going to the Braves are nothing to get excited about either. Giving him a hundred million dollar contract would be the biggest mistake since signing Albert Belle.

Draft the best college first baseman available in the coming draft and let the Yankees waste another fortune on Teixeira.

Archived