New 'What If?' on Teixeira

OrioleLochRaven

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The OP, while a bit crass and lacking deeper thought, really brought a tear to my eye. Bravo, bravo.

The day Tex signs elsewhere, this board will blow up. It'll be like a trainwreck...don't want to look, but you won't be able to turn away.

The day Tex signs -- whether it be Baltimore or elsewhere -- this board will blow up from all the "I told you so" posts.

Here's a "what if" on Teixeira - he is not coming.

I spoke with a friend of his from high school & the guy brought it up without being pressed on the issue. My guy had dinner with him during the Braves-Nats series and Teix said himself, he has no plans to come here. In fact, the conversation was brought up with Glavine, Glavine's wife, another Brave (can't remember) and his wife, my boy & Teix. I think Glavine posed the question.

Teix said "both New York teams need a 1B and I want a bidding war. The only other place that will pay & I want to play there, is LAA. I don't know why but, it just seems nice there (speaking of LAA)." The O's were brought up & he made it seem like it wasn't even a thought at all.

This was in very early May.

Food for thought.

I spoke with a friend of his from high school & the guy brought it up without being pressed on the issue. My guy had dinner with him during the Braves-Nats series and Teix said himself' date=' he has no plans to come here. In fact, the conversation was brought up with Glavine, Glavine's wife, another Brave (can't remember) and his wife, my boy & Teix. I think Glavine posed the question.

Teix said "both New York teams need a 1B and I want a bidding war. The only other place that will pay & I want to play there, is LAA. I don't know why but, it just seems nice there (speaking of LAA)." The O's were brought up & he made it seem like it wasn't even a thought at all.

Food for thought.[/quote']

I doubt your source enjoys being outed like that. :D

I spoke with a friend of his from high school & the guy brought it up without being pressed on the issue. My guy had dinner with him during the Braves-Nats series and Teix said himself' date=' he has no plans to come here. In fact, the conversation was brought up with Glavine, Glavine's wife, another Brave (can't remember) and his wife, my boy & Teix. I think Glavine posed the question.

This is a joke, right?

Not that I don't believe what you are saying, but it seems kind of odd that Tom Glavine would ask Teix about where he wants to play next year at a dinner with other people. Seems to be a little inappropriate when you are playing for the Braves and having a teammate ask you that.

Again...I have no reason to doubt your story, but it just seems like an odd conversation for Glavine to be starting when your team is in the middle of the season.

Not that I don't believe what you are saying, but it seems kind of odd that Tom Glavine would ask Teix about where he wants to play next year at a dinner with other people. Seems to be a little inappropriate when you are playing for the Braves and having a teammate ask you that.

Again...I have no reason to doubt your story, but it just seems like an odd conversation for Glavine to be starting when your team is in the middle of the season.

If you re-read what I said, "I think it was Glavine that posed the question".

Beyond that, I have nothing else to add on the story. It came from a person that is not a sports fan so, I highly doubt it was made up. I did not prod for the story, it just came to me. And to answer the other guy, it's not a joke. I was pretty crushed when I heard it myself.

God I hate this anology. Please people, go bakc and look up Belle's stats in Baltimore. He was All-Star caliber before getting injured. Signing Belle was not a mistake. It was a fluke injury that could not be expected.

Whether due to injury or declining skills signig players into their mid 30s is risky and the Albert Belle contract was yet another example of a FA risk that didn't pay off.

If you re-read what I said' date=' "I [i']think[/i] it was Glavine that posed the question".

Beyond that, I have nothing else to add on the story. It came from a person that is not a sports fan so, I highly doubt it was made up. I did not prod for the story, it just came to me. And to answer the other guy, it's not a joke. I was pretty crushed when I heard it myself.

Well, far be it from me to question the authenticity of something your friend told you. :)

That being said, I'll be shocked if Tex isn't an O next year.

Whether due to injury or declining skills signig players into their mid 30s is risky and the Albert Belle contract was yet another example of a FA risk that didn't pay off.

With this logic we shouldn't try to sign Tex. He'll be looking for a 6 year deal or so, putting him in his mid 30's.

Belle wasn't a risk, he was one of the most durable players in the game before coming here.

With this logic we shouldn't try to sign Tex. He'll be looking for a 6 year deal or so, putting him in his mid 30's.

Belle wasn't a risk, he was one of the most durable players in the game before coming here.

It doesn't mean you don't try to sign Tex, it just means that the FO should be well aware of the risks inherent in giving out a huge contract to a player into their mid thirties. Belle was a risk just like every player signed to a lucrative long term deal is. He may have been less of a risk at the time than a JD Drew type but the signing was still risky and ended up biting the O's. There have been many players durable in their 20s who start to break down once they are on the wrong side of thirty.

I really would like to see Teix here. I think we definitely have the financial resources to make it happen. I'm just not sure that he wants to play for a team that still may be a year or two away from being competitive.

Also, we may get a LOT better over the next few years, but still be the worst team in the division due to the talent on the other teams. I'm not conceding anything, but I could see why Teix would be less than thrilled in coming here.

Archived