Orioles Acquire Paul Fry For Int’l Pool Slot, Designate Parker Bridwell

wildcard

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Apparently DD thought the 40 man was absurd.  Some names that have been DFA'd recently:

Urrutia, Dariel Alvarez, Lough, Pena, Bridwell, Garcia, Drake, Berry, Chris Jones, Matusz(traded), C.Walker, Adam Walker, Rifenhauser, Olmos, etc...  

It's like he's trying to stock the system from top down instead of bottom to top.  We've been drafting better so hopefully the two will meet.  Bowie's rotation is pretty prospectless right now.  Eventually the depth will meet the prospects. 

Another absurd fact, our signed int'l players in full season baseball in the minors;

AAA- Urrutia

AA- Rosa

A+- Peralta, Reyes, Alvarado

A- Ortega

Nicely put.  It's worth noting that most of the list of those DFA guys were brought in just like the new wave of players, from Rule 5 picks, to trades for cash/PTBNL and waiver claims.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Cough *Ubaldo* cough *Gallardo* .

Sorry had something unpleasant stuck in my craw.

You called both and couldn't be more correct. Sometimes giving up a pick is worthwhile but in most cases....

I said Bridwell's time was precarious but didn't expect this soon...Verrett &  Wright  are prob most precarious now (excluding Santander & Gentry here).

40 minutes ago, Moondoggie said:

It seems even Dan Duquette realized there was a lot of crap floating around the upper levels of the Orioles' farm system.

And hopefully soon he will realize on the major league staff as well (Ubaldo).

I heard good things about slot 13 too, he could have worked with Brady:)

• Upvote 1

This seems like a good pick-up. He has good strikeout rates, a decent track return of decent walk rate, and seems to give up very few home runs. Also based on his babip, he probably gets a lot of ground balls. He could be britton-lite as he doesn't have the same velocity or one dominant pitch, but similar results.

34 minutes ago, theobird said:

I am not a huge fan of DD, but these are good moves he has been making to cleanse the system. I really like this stuff, its kinda like throwing out your old socks you never wore, and trying some new ones you might like better. A for effort.

Well, you could look at it the other way.    We built a lousy farm system, and so to try to improve the upper levels, we're giving up international draft slots and some younger players or cash that could be used to build from the ground up.     But time will tell -- let's see what all these arms we've acquired actually produce.    To me they're just a bunch of names until I see how they do,

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, you could look at it the other way.    We built a lousy farm system, and so to try to improve the upper levels, we're giving up international draft slots and some younger players or cash that could be used to build from the ground up.     But time will tell -- let's see what all these arms we've acquired actually produce.    To me they're just a bunch of names until I see how they do,

DD doesn't want to ignore the int'l market. But PA does. PA doesn't want to spend on 16 year olds in Latin America.  So at least we're getting something for our int'l bonus slots. 

PA has allowed payroll to go higher than 95% thought was possible. Can't really hate on him at the moment. 

When is someone going to make a movie and write a book about DD dumpster diving. It's worked just as well as moneyball. 

None of the guys removed from the 40 man recently will be missed, in all likelihood.  Maybe some of the new acquisitions catch on, maybe they don't.  Either way, I'm good with it.  He's doing whatever he can to try and find talent that can help the team.

On 4/15/2017 at 8:31 AM, theobird said:

I am not a huge fan of DD, but these are good moves he has been making to cleanse the system. I really like this stuff, its kinda like throwing out your old socks you never wore, and trying some new ones you might like better. A for effort.

Maybe DD is bringing in all these pitchers, hoping the pitcher and pitching coach will find some sort of magical key that will open the pitchers full potential. You know.. just like what happened with Arrieta in Chicago.