The 34 biggest contributors to the 2012-17 Orioles

Frobby

7 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Arrogant.  I know what FIP is.  

So you missed the part where I said the same thing, word for word, in response to Frobby's post?

Lacking a sense of humor much?

I figured that anyone that saw the post immediately after the one you quoted would get the humorous intent of the first two posts.

I see I overestimated folks again.  (now that is me being arrogant)

1 hour ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I like fWAR for the same reason you stated basically.  fWAR is a better way to judge a pitcher's true talent level.  It takes the bad luck/defense out of it. 

So do you think, taking bad luck and defense out of it, that Ubaldo was a better pitcher for us in 2014-17 than Miguel Gonzalez was in 2012-15?    In my opinion, Gonzalez was far, far superior, and luck and defense have nothing to do with it.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So do you think, taking bad luck and defense out of it, that Ubaldo was a better pitcher for us in 2014-17 than Miguel Gonzalez was in 2012-15?    In my opinion, Gonzalez was far, far superior, and luck and defense have nothing to do with it.  

As I said earlier, I don't see where pitchers get adjusted for luck and defense and offense doesn't.  A ball hit to the outfield against Baltimore's defense is a lot more likely to fall for a hit than one hit against Tampa so why not factor that in?

I like WAR as a record of what actually happened. 

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As I said earlier, I don't see where pitchers get adjusted for luck and defense and offense doesn't.  A ball hit to the outfield against Baltimore's defense is a lot more likely to fall for a hit than one hit against Tampa so why not factor that in?

I like WAR as a record of what actually happened. 

But generally a ball hit to the Baltimore outfield off Gonzalez is not more or less likely to fall in than one off Jimenez.   (I said generally because 2016 was our worst defensive year in the OF and Gonzalez was not on that team.)

Just now, Frobby said:

But generally a ball hit to the Baltimore outfield off Gonzalez is not more or less likely to fall in than one off Jimenez.   (I said generally because 2016 was our worst defensive year in the OF and Gonzalez was not on that team.)

I'm not disagreeing with you.  I don't like fWAR for pitchers.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you missed the part where I said the same thing, word for word, in response to Frobby's post?

Lacking a sense of humor much?

I figured that anyone that saw the post immediately after the one you quoted would get the humorous intent of the first two posts.

I see I overestimated folks again.  (now that is me being arrogant)

It's hard to tell with you because condescension is a recurring theme in your posts.  Proven once again in your reply. 

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

Why 34?    That's how many players have been worth 1 fWAR or more from 2012-17.    Here's who they are and where they came from.

Drafted and developed by the Orioles:   Machado 23.1, Wieters 10.0, Gausman 7.3, Britton 6.5,  Markakis 3.8, Matusz 2.2, Johnson 2.1, Givens 2.0, Arrieta 1.8, Bundy 1.6, Joseph 1.1

Acquired as an amateur free agent and developed by the Orioles:  Schoop 3.5

Acquired via trade as a major leaguer:  Jones 19.4, Davis 18.8, Hardy 11.3, Pearce 6.2, Hammel 3.2, Brach 3.1, Trumbo 1.9, Norris 1.9, Hunter 1.8, Lough 1.2, Miley 1.1, Feldman 1.0, Miller 1.0

Acquired via trade as a minor leaguer:   Tillman 9.6

Acquired as a free agent: Chen 9.3, Jimenez 4.5, Gonzalez 3.7, McLouth 3.7, Cruz 3.7, Alvarez 1.1

Claimed off waivers: O'Day 4.9

Acquired in the Rule 5 draft: Flaherty 1.1

I must say, fWAR is really "f"ed in some cases.   How has Ubaldo contributed more to this team than Miguel Gonzalez?  Only in some crazy, hypothetical world. 

Acquired by Duquette: 51.1

Acquired before Duquette: 122.5

Archived