Disaster averted

Frobby

Never been so happy to lose 2 of 3 to NY in my life. Unreal. Yanks will slow down. Has to be that team. 

Only bad thing was having to use another reliever or 2 but at this point who cares. 

Just imagine if that was a playoff game. 

Phew!  A sweep would have been crushing.  As it is, it looks like it took some wind out of our sails.  A split in Boston would be fine and dandy.  This was the first three of 17 games in a row.  Hope we can just tread water for this stretch, get Tillman and Britton back in the swing, and regroup.

This is how weird this series was: one fanbase is thinking that their team should have won 2 out of three, while the other is thinking that their team should have swept. Therefore the actual outcome is probably the right one, given how hot they are and Britton out.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Almost the worst baseball weekend that I can remember.   Verrett comes up big after making one of the dumbest plays of all time.   Trumbo comes up big.  Joe Girardi comes up small.   Thanks Joe.    Put a pitcher who played outfield in HS at one of the two positions in baseball guaranteed to get the most action.   Taking out a hot hitter in Holliday to get that pitcher in the lineup so he an get one more inning from him after he pitched and then cooled down for a long time.    In his post game conference Girardi didn't even ask Mitchell if he had ever played 1st before.    Yankees had all the momentum.    A loss would have crushed us.   No fresh pitchers in an 11 inning game while the Orioles could have gone longer with Verrett and even used Asher if they had to, not to mention Bleier.     Checkmate for DD and Buck over Cashman and Girardi.

Playing Mitchell at 1st with Chapman pitching wasn't stupid. Having a pitcher take an inning off and then pitch again, however, was idiotic. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I can't imagine how bad it would have felt to blow that one.    Well, we did blow that one, but we grabbed it back.    I've got a knot in my stomach but a smile on my face.    On to Boston!

Yeah did not want this to end as the O's massacre in the Bronx... Does any one here really think the skanks are as good as their announcers think they are...

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Big win. Showed a lot of heart. Verret with two big innings. 

Loved how Verrett came and saved the game  (yeah, I know he got a win rather than a save). The huge moment for me is when JJ rifled the ball to Castillo and prevented the Yankees from winning. 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Gunnar is the only one you worry about. I would still sign Holliday as well but I think Gunnar is the bigger fish to fry. I no longer would consider an extension for Adley. I would wait on anyone else.
    • Something that doesn't show up on the stat sheet is something like being able to hit behind the runner to advance him.   The O's have been successful in building an analytics offense.   Focus on hitting homeruns, develop a swing to achieve optimum launch angle and exit velocity to hit the ball over the fence.  Result is they have a team of beer league software players and not baseball players and struggle to score when not hitting homeruns.   Analytically, if you review their offensive rankings for the season, it says, nothing wrong with the offense, at least from a macro review, but we all know that this offense has issues.   Runs - 4th Home runs - 3rd AVG - 7th OBP - 11th SLG - 3rd OPS - 4th  K's - 18th (this was interesting to see considering how much they seem to strikeout) All of the above looks good, nothing to fix. The O's had 6 sacrifice hits for the season, ranking 30th.  Interestingly, Arizona who led the league in runs scored also led the league in sacrifice hits with 34.   The O's do not need to necessarily to focus on small ball, but they do need to be able to add that skillset to their offensive arsenal.  
    • Sounds like Buck. Anything to get a slight advantage. It’s something this team sorely misses. 
    • Detroit has been so much fun to watch. They have Skubal and literally 11 completely interchangeable pitchers who Hinch uses at any time and in any situation. They all can start games, throw in middle relief, and close. Every Tigers pitcher has to be ready to come in at any time because nobody other than Skubal actually has a defined role, which can certainly help keep them focused.  That guy Holton who started Game 1 in Cleveland closed Game 3 yesterday.  Of course he did! And Hinch seems to have complete faith in everybody, which I guess works since they all seem to have rubber arms and never get tired. It must be so annoying as an opposing manager to try and game plan against them or to be a hitter and have absolutely no idea who you are going to be facing until you actually walk up to the plate.  Not sure how long this "gimmick" will last, but it has been really enjoyable.
    • So if Westburg ends up being a very good but not MVP level player you aren't interesting in extending him at a team friendly rate? I disagree with your strategy. If you can lock up even a young 3 win player at a team friendly rate I say do it.
    • The most obvious player to extend is Gunnar, his agent is Boras, which means most likely, he will not be interested in an extension.  All others, you have to wait and see.  Adley after that horrible second half, you really need to see if he bounces back.  Westburg, need a full season before locking him up, plus he would probably want a season to post big numbers.  Cowser, wait and see if he learns the strike zone before extending.  
    • I agree with you on Gunnar. I'd wait on Westburg until he puts up a Gunnar like season, and spend money on Burnes this offseason. Oh and do something temporary to bring the RF wall in 10-15 feet
  • Popular Contributors