Who gets sent down tomorrow for Tillman?

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, thezeroes said:

Why all this Gentry hate/dislike??

If you go by OPS, Gentry is a better batter than:

Mark Trumbo

Joey Rickard

J J Hardy

Caleb Joseph

Ryan Flaherty

Not to mention that he is a better defender and baserunner than some of those with a worse OPS.

What's the point of this? We judge hitters on the past 5 weeks now?

DFA Gentry. He serves no real purpose. Any talk of Mancini going down is ludicrous. 

9 minutes ago, waroriole said:

What's the point of this? We judge hitters on the past 5 weeks now?

DFA Gentry. He serves no real purpose. Any talk of Mancini going down is ludicrous. 

So we don't judge hitters on the past five weeks but we can't send Mancini down?  :confused:

We don't have to solve the position player problem today, imo.  But we will in the near future.   

The rate of lefties that we'll see over the coming months will decrease.  I understand Mancini's splits in 2017.  I also understand the need to get Smith and Kim playing time.  The roles of the RH players will decrease in terms of starting.

I don't think that Rickard has as much to learn in the minors as Mancini--not hitting, but becoming an adequate COF.

I love the HRs he's provided so far.  I also love how he has the potential to a cheap, controlled COF for the future.

I think it makes the most sense to have him work on his defense in Norfolk when the roster crunches.  Again, doesn't have to be today with Asher and Verrett up and fresh.

35 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

We don't have to solve the position player problem today, imo.  But we will in the near future.   

The rate of lefties that we'll see over the coming months will decrease.  I understand Mancini's splits in 2017.  I also understand the need to get Smith and Kim playing time.  The roles of the RH players will decrease in terms of starting.

I don't think that Rickard has as much to learn in the minors as Mancini--not hitting, but becoming an adequate COF.

I love the HRs he's provided so far.  I also love how he has the potential to a cheap, controlled COF for the future.

I think it makes the most sense to have him work on his defense in Norfolk when the roster crunches.  Again, doesn't have to be today with Asher and Verrett up and fresh.

And the sub 300 OBP doesn't intimidate the other hitters.

All Gentry would need is a 3 for 3, 1-2B, 1-HR, 1-W and his line is .250/.357/.472/.829.  Basing on his SSS to this point seems a bit premature. IMO

Having an 19 Win and 8 Loss record in appearances speaks volumes as far as Buck's use /want to keep him on the roster.

I believe Crichton is the player sent down because of the resent recalls of Verrett and Asher leaves enough usable arms in the Bullpen for the next games.  Also remember that the Orioles play two games next week at a MLB Park with NL rules (no DH).  A longer bench is usually needed for double switches.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

So we don't judge hitters on the past five weeks but we can't send Mancini down?  :confused:

I'm sure you know what I meant, but Mancini has hit everywhere he's been. Plus, most of the guys listed have a track record. 

5 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I'm sure you know what I meant, but Mancini has hit everywhere he's been. Plus, most of the guys listed have a track record. 

I really don't.  When I look at Mancini I see a first baseman costing the O's in the outfield whose early season success is mostly predicated on an unsustainable HR/FB ratio and who has a sub 300 OBP.

Yes the power has been nice but the idea of him getting sent down is far from ludicrous. 

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Crichton, who has looked awful verses Verrett who won a game for us against the Yankees in his only chance?    I call that NO CONTEST!

I agree with that. I think Buck likes Chricton a lot, and to quote Arrieta "he's so close to being good."  Chricton looks like he just needs some confidence at the MLB level. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree with that. I think Buck likes Chricton a lot, and to quote Arrieta "he's so close to being good."  Chricton looks like he just needs some confidence at the MLB level. 

Maybe, but I don't see any of the bullpen shuttle guys getting a chance to establish themselves at the moment. 

Archived