I Have A Take On Manny's "Hotdogging It".

ORIOLE33

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If you think all sluggers bust it all the time you aren't paying attention. In a perfect world this happens but it doesn't. Manny let's his frustration get to him at times no doubt about that. 

I know that. What about dogging it in the field? That's mainly what I'm talking about and I believe you guys know that. 

I'll repeat, Bobby Cox once pulled a young Andrew Jones for not giving a good effort in the field. I think Buck should do the same with Manny.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I know that. What about dogging it in the field? That's mainly what I'm talking about and I believe you guys know that. 

I'll repeat, Bobby Cox once pulled a young Andrew Jones for not giving a good effort in the field. I think Buck should do the same with Manny.

I don't believe that Manny dogs it in the field.    He doesn't always have the best habits, but that's different from not giving effort.    And of course he makes an outstanding play that few others can make once every 2-3 games.   

Just now, Number5 said:

You brought up Papelbon.  Poor choice.

I also brought up Cox, a perfect example of a manager giving a youngster some tough love.

But you hate Papelbon so that overrides everything.

6 hours ago, baltfan said:

More and more Manny is reminding me of Hanley Ramirez.  

I would not be surprised if the career arc is similar.  That surely isn't bad, but not $400mm good. 

Manny is reminding me of Eddie Murray and how the press ran him out of town for the same thing. Meanwhile, Cal the golden boy, didn't catch nearly the same flack. 

Why doesn't the media criticize Buck more?  I think people want to buy into the young "Arod" stereotype and are pre punishing Manny for being a FA in two years. 

Get over it. Manny is a top 5 player in baseball. Enjoy him instead of criticizing him for being a hot dog. You can't punish Manny for Arod's mistakes. 

People have some Baltimore insecure complex that they are hating/blaming Manny for something he hasn't even done yet. 

2 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Why are you guys so hung up on Papelbon and not Bobby Cox or Carlton Fisk?

What Number5 said-- you're the one who brought up Papelbon, as if that's an example the Orioles should aspire to. It's such an awful example that it kind of torpedoes your entire point.

Imagine I said, "If you have an argument with your friend, you should sit down for a candid conversation with them, or make an effort to settle your differences, or push them off a bridge." That third point would kind of stick out, no?

3 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

What Number5 said-- you're the one who brought up Papelbon, as if that's an example the Orioles should aspire to. It's such an awful example that it kind of torpedoes your entire point.

Imagine I said, "If you have an argument with your friend, you should sit down for a candid conversation with them, or make an effort to settle your differences, or push them off a bridge." That third point would kind of stick out, no?

You guys are acting as if Papelbon took a bat to Harper. Harper wasn't hurt and no one was arrested. 

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Manny is reminding me of Eddie Murray and how the press ran him out of town for the same thing. Meanwhile, Cal the golden boy, didn't catch nearly the same flack. 

Why doesn't the media criticize Buck more?  I think people want to buy into the young "Arod" stereotype and are pre punishing Manny for being a FA in two years. 

Get over it. Manny is a top 5 player in baseball. Enjoy him instead of criticizing him for being a hot dog. You can't punish Manny for Arod's mistakes. 

I agree with everything but your last point. I don't think Manny is a top 5 player.

27 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

But it was a response to Harper not hustling. Not saying Buck or anyone else should choke Manny.

Next time Manny doesn't give the best effort, Buck needs to pull him from the game.

Papelpon may claim it was in response to Harper not hustling but more likely it had to do with Harper's comment a couple days before when Papelpon threw at Manny.     

I did not see the pop up play from the other night. I hear it on the radio but never saw it. 

I just think in general the game at times looks easy for Manny. He is never going to be viewed as a hustling overachiever. He is a brilliantly skilled player and we are lucky to have him. Once again last year his baserunning was killing us. He has cleaned that up. 

Just now, ORIOLE33 said:

You guys are acting as if Papelbon took a bat to Harper. Harper wasn't hurt and no one was arrested. 

Yup, it was just a good old-fashioned strangling. You know, baseball stuff! Everyone having a good time!

Is this seriously a line of reasoning you're trying to take? Defending a guy for choking out his teammate, because his teammate didn't run hard? Don't you see how this undercuts your whole premise?

4 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Yup, it was just a good old-fashioned strangling. You know, baseball stuff! Everyone having a good time!

Is this seriously a line of reasoning you're trying to take? Defending a guy for choking out his teammate, because his teammate didn't run hard? Don't you see how this undercuts your whole premise?

Charging the mound isn't a baseball move either. Throwing at someone isn't a baseball move either. Throwing a bat at someone isn't a baseball move either.

9 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Manny should definitely be the one held responsible for it, but I have yet heard anyone mention Buck's responsibility.

IMO, Manny hotdogs It because Buck allows it. That's on Buck. Do you believe Manny would try that with a manager like Weaver or Bobby Cox? Remember when Cox pulled Andrew Jones from a game for hotdogging it? It's called tough love. I still remember Carlton Fisk getting in Deion Sanders' face for not running hard down the line. Fisk was on the other team. Palpavon getting in Harper's face for not running down the line. Again, tough love. 

The next time Manny hotdogs it or doesn't hustle down the line and nothing happens, don't look at Manny, look at Buck.

I am sorry but you and I as fans know nothing about what Manny is dealing with.  We don't know his physical condition. His aches and pains.  We know nothing about about his family,  Who is ill.  We know nothing about his training regiment.  What he is able to do now to prepare for games.  Manny added muscle his off season.  We don't know how that is affecting him.  

Buck knows exactly what is happening with Manny. Physically and emotionally.  Buck is among the best managers at knowing his players and helping them deal with whatever they are  going through.  To criticize Buck on not dealing with his players seems misplayed to me.

Manny make amazing plays.  He posts every day Buck allows him too. As fans I think we should enjoy what Manny offers while we can because this could be his last as an Oriole.   We will miss him when he is gone.  Whether that is next year or sometime in the future.

Archived