2017 1st round pick (21): DL Hall - LHP - Valdosta (Ga.) HS

2017 1st round pick: DL Hall - LHP Valdosta (Ga.) HS 

D.L. Hall | LHP

Background
The 18-year-old Hall split his prep career at Houston County High School and Valdosta High School in Southern Georgia. He’s committed to Florida State.

Scouting Report
Hall is primarily a two-pitch southpaw at the moment, sitting in the low-90s with his fastball and backing it up with a hard curveball right around 80 mph. PitchFX data from various summer showcase events at big league ballparks says his curve already has an above-average Major League spin rate. Hall also throws a changeup, but it is far and away his third pitch, which is typical of top high school arms. At 6-foot-0 and 195 lbs., Hall is not the biggest guy, but there is some belief he will add velocity as he gains consistency with his mechanics. He can spot his fastball well and his curveball is a true out pitch.

Miscellany
The various scouting publications all agree Hall is one of the top talents in the draft. Keith Law (subs. req’d) ranked him as the eighth best prospect in the draft class while both MLB.com and Baseball America ranked him 13th. The Yankees hold the 16th pick. For what it’s worth, Law recently said he’s heard the Yankees are “matched up” with Hall, whatever that means.

http://riveraveblues.com/2017/06/2017-draft-d-l-hall-154800/

Video

Sickles

High Risk, High Reward at the number 21 position.

21. Baltimore Orioles:  LHP D.L. Hall, Valdosta (Ga.) HS
Callis: I think Hall has the potential to be a great value for the Orioles here at No.21. He's a smaller left-hander who draws comparisons to Scott Kazmir with his low-90s fastball and overpowering curve. Based purely on talent, he could have gone five or so picks higher.

Tony's Quick take: This high risk, high reward selection is a bit of a surprised for an organization that is need of pitching talent now. The Orioles have not had much luck drafting and developing high school pitchers with Dylan Bundy (4th overall selection) and Adam Loewen (Yes I know he played one year of JC before the Orioles actually signed him) being the best two. All the scouting reports love the arm and curveball, but he'll need to develop a changeup to reach his ceiling.  I think the Orioles were hoping Oregon LHP David Peterson fell to them, but he went a pick before to the Mets. In need of a shortstop of the future, the Orioles passed on North Carolina SS Logan Warmoth who was taken by the Blue Jays with the next pick. 

DL_hall_1280_98vta76o_2d6ifk7f.jpg

• Upvote 1

KLaw:

I thought DL Hall was a top ten talent, a prep lefty who sits 93-94 with one of the draft's best curveballs and an average changeup. He was seen as a tough sign and hasn't faced great competition in high school. The Orioles got a great pick even with a pitcher named DL.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ArtVanDelay said:

His name is DL. Fantastic. 

Just schedule the TJ surgery now!

I like the fact that we're drafting for the long term and not getting hung up on current need.    It's looking more and more as though our window has closed, so let's build for down the road if the talent is there.