2017 1st round pick (21): DL Hall - LHP - Valdosta (Ga.) HS

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wouldn't he be a draft eligible sophomore?

And he could always go the JC route and reenter next year.

You have to be a redshirt sophomore to be eligible.  3 years of NCAA D1 to be eligible.  I don't think many guys leave a powerhouse like FSU to go to JUCO.  

He might take overslot to sign but he's not as hard as we are thinking.  Unless he has Boras or something.  

8 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

So is there any chance at all that he goes to college rather than signing with the Orioles? I would hope that there is no chance of that happening since the Orioles drafted him so high.

He might now that Orioles drafted him.

Kidding aside, I'd like to think the Orioles did their homework here and expect to get a deal done, perhaps overslot. But, you never know for sure. Phil Bickford, for example, spurned the Blue Jays back in 2013 and he was taken 11th overall.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 25 Nuggets said:

So what you're saying is, the fewer IP in the minors (Bundy, Tillman), the better?  Hmmm...

Let me be crystal clear.  What I'm saying is that we're terrible at developing SP's.  If you want to point out a top 5 pick (Bundy) and a guy that spent 2 years with SEA's org(Tillman) is the best that we can name this century then that's sad.  Well add Bedard.  That's three pitchers this millennium.  

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Let me be crystal clear.  What I'm saying is that we're terrible at developing SP's.  If you want to point out a top 5 pick (Bundy) and a guy that spent 2 years with SEA's org(Tillman) is the best that we can name this century then that's sad.  Well add Bedard.  That's three pitchers this millennium.  

Drafting Matusz and Gausman did not make a difference.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So we should be drafting and trading for pitchers as close to the majors as possible instead of High Schoolers.  Right?

Just now, 25 Nuggets said:

So we should be drafting and trading for pitchers as close to the majors as possible instead of High Schoolers.  Right?

No we should stick to drafting hitters.  We've had a lot of success recently.  Sisco, Hays, Mullins, Mancini, Mountcastle, Stewart.  Look at our P's.  They're struggling at every level.  Coincidence?  I like to be an optimist but I just think we should grow the bats and buy the arms.  

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Harvey looked pretty good before he broke.

Just now, Malike said:

Harvey looked pretty good before he broke.

I like Harvey.  I don't necessarily hate Hall.  I doubt our developmental guys.  Plus Harvey is the son of a former MLB'er.  He basically has his own pitching coach.  Doesn't have to listen to the clowns in our system.  

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

No we should stick to drafting hitters.  We've had a lot of success recently.  Sisco, Hays, Mullins, Mancini, Mountcastle, Stewart.  Look at our P's.  They're struggling at every level.  Coincidence?  I like to be an optimist but I just think we should grow the bats and buy the arms.  

Guess what all of them besides Stewart have in common? None of them were drafted in the first round. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like Harvey.  I don't necessarily hate Hall.  I doubt our developmental guys.  Plus Harvey is the son of a former MLB'er.  He basically has his own pitching coach.  Doesn't have to listen to the clowns in our system.  

I'm pretty sure your last sentence is false, but okay.