Can the Orioles lose 100 this year?

Uli2001

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

I think this will be the 6th consecutive season of playing .500 or better.

I'm not going to go that far.  We're struggling to stay around .500, and I don't see the pitching getting any better.  At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they faded in to the 70-75 win category.  Maybe they duplicate 2015 and finish at .500 or just a couple games below.  That'd be my guess at this point.  But 62-100?  Nah.  No way.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, mrpennybags said:

There was a period in June where they looked like the worst team in baseball. They've been competitive for quite a while now.

They've been competitive because their offense has been on a real tear.     But the pitching has prevented them from going on a real winning streak.

8 hours ago, mrpennybags said:

There was a period in June where they looked like the worst team in baseball. They've been competitive for quite a while, now.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

They've been competitive because their offense has been on a real tear. But the pitching has prevented them from going on a real winning streak.

o

This is true to an extent, but I do believe that the starting pitching has done a reasonably good job since the July 28th game against the Rangers, when Kevin Gausman threw 8.67 shutout innings.

They (the Orioles' starting pitchers) have had a few clunkers in that 25-game span, but for the most part they have given the team a reasonably good chance to win games more often than not ........ something that was very sorely lacking between May 10th and July 28th, when the team went 26-44 over an 80-game stretch (half the season.)

o

7 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

This is true to an extent, but I do believe that the starting pitching has done a reasonably good job since the July 28th game against the Rangers, when Kevin Gausman threw 8.67 shutout innings.

They (the Orioles' starting pitchers) have had a few clunkers in that 25-game span, but for the most part they have given the team a reasonably good chance to win games more often than not ........ something that was very sorely lacking between May 10th and July 28th, when the team went 26-44 over an 80-game stretch (half the season.)

o

They've been more like who I thought they'd be lately; Powerful offense, bad (but not awful) SP, good BP but not as good as the last couple years. That 80-game period you describe was as bad as it's been in a long time.

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2017 at 1:18 PM, Frobby said:

It is far more likely that the O's will finish over .500 than it is that they'll lose 100 games.    

o

They wound up finishing closer to over .500 (82-80 or better) than they did to 100 losses (62-100.)

75-87 overall.

o

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

They wound up finishing closer to over .500 (82-80 or better) than they did to 100 losses (62-100.)

75-87 overall.

o

But not by much... (72 wins being the cut point).

If you take away the 22-10 start (I know you are now allowed to do that, but for argument's sake), the O's went 53-77, which is a 0.408 winning percentage and translates to 96 losses over 162 games. So this team played like a nearly 100-loss team for 80% of the season (the last 130 games of the season).

Let's face up to reality. This team was as bad as the teams of the "dark years" only with a much higher price tag.

It is far more likely that the O's will finish over .500 than it is that they'll lose 100 games.    

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

75-87 overall.

o

47 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

But not by much ... (72 wins being the cut point).

If you take away the 22-10 start (I know you are now allowed to do that, but for argument's sake), the O's went 53-77, which is a 0.408 winning percentage and translates to 96 losses over 162 games. So this team played like a nearly 100-loss team for 80% of the season (the last 130 games of the season).

Let's face up to reality. This team was as bad as the teams of the "dark years" only with a much higher price tag.

o

You asked if the Orioles could lose 100 games on June 23rd, when they were 35-38. That included their 22-10 start, which you now suggest to hypothetically dismiss.

No moving of the goalposts after the fact, since it was your thread, and your premise. They won their 63rd game of the year on August 25th, more than a month before the season ended.

You were way off, even with the Orioles' awful final 4 weeks of the season ...... almost as off as when you started a thread in August of 2015, asking if the Orioles could finish their last 36 games with a record of 4-32, like the 2002 team did. They went 18-18 in that span, and 19-21 after you started that thread.

o

15 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

You asked if the Orioles could lose 100 games on June 23rd, when they were 35-38. That included their 22-10 start, which you now suggest to hypothetically dismiss.

No moving of the goalposts after the fact, since it was your thread, and your premise. They won their 63rd game of the year on August 25th, more than a month before the season ended.

You were way off, even with the Orioles' awful final 4 weeks of the season ...... almost as off as when you started a thread in August of 2015, asking if the Orioles could finish their last 36 games with a record of 4-32, like the 2002 team did. They went 18-18 in that span, and 19-21 after you started that thread.

o

The 2015 and 2017 teams were jokes, for the payroll they had. And the 2016 team overachieved, due largely to Britton's (and the bullpen's) wonder year. This team has been bad since 2015, despite a great foundation in 2014 and having invested a lot in payroll. As an Orioles fan, I have the right to be mad.

33 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

The 2015 and 2017 teams were jokes, for the payroll they had. And the 2016 team overachieved, due largely to Britton's (and the bullpen's) wonder year. This team has been bad since 2015, despite a great foundation in 2014 and having invested a lot in payroll. As an Orioles fan, I have the right to be mad.

I don't see how the 2016 Orioles were bad.   Maybe they weren't quite as good as their record, but they were an above average team. For that matter, if you are going to say that the 2016 team overachieved, I'll say that the 2015 team underachieved.    Really, the only O's team in the last six that can be rightfully be called "bad" is the current one.   If you want to be mad about that, so be it.

It is far more likely that the O's will finish over .500 than it is that they'll lose 100 games.    

On 10/1/2017 at 9:30 PM, OFFNY said:

o

75-87 overall.

o

23 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

But not by much... (72 wins being the cut point).

23 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

7 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

o

This has nothing to do with your right to be mad, or how bad of a team the Orioles were in relation to their payroll.

No moving the goalposts ...... YOU started 2 threads, each with a very specific premise. Both times, you were off by a mile.

In August of 2015, you asked if the Orioles could match the 2002 team's 4-32 finish. They finished that season 18-18 over those final 36 games.

Two years later in June of 2017, you asked if the Orioles could lose 100 games by season's end. They won their 63rd game of the season on August 25th, and finished the season at 75-87, nowhere near your solicitation of a discussion as to whether or not they would lose 100 games.

You have a right to be angry and frustrated with the Orioles' mediocre/sub-par play, as does every Oriole fan. You don't have a right to start threads specifically soliciting whether or not the Orioles could reach extreme lows in futility, and then defend yourself by changing the premise when somebody reminds you that your hypothesis was way off. 

o

Archived