Statcast: Sprint Speed

Can_of_corn

Sprint Speed is Statcast’s foot speed metric, defined as “feet per second in a player’s fastest one-second window.

Here is the O's chart.  Shame Kim isn't listed.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sprint_speed_leaderboard?year=2017&position=&team=BAL

The big take-away for me is how slow Davis is.  I pointed out some weeks ago that his to first time was poor this year but I had no idea he has been slower than Trumbo, Hardy and Joseph.

7 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

How did Gentry make the list if they don't have Kim, who has twice as many PAs? Curious.

Not all of our guys are truly slow, but pretty much every starter is average or below average at his position. 

I'm guessing it was because Gentry was by far the fastest.  The fastest and slowest were probably included for every team regardless of plate appearances.

On second thought I don't know why Kim isn't listed.  I found the master page for all left fielders and he isn't there either.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

On second thought I don't know why Kim isn't listed.  I found the master page for all left fielders and he isn't there either.

Maybe he hasn't had ten max effort runs.    

37 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The big take-away for me is how slow Davis is.  I pointed out some weeks ago that his to first time was poor this year but I had no idea he has been slower than Trumbo, Hardy and Joseph.

He's considerably slower than last year (25.3 vs. 26.2).    Seems odd.  

Really interesting stuff here. My take aways:

• Jones is above major league average but one of the slowest center fielders in the game.
  • Schoop is faster than I thought.
  • Hardy is the 3rd slowest SS and the other two slower SS are clearly there because of their bats
  • Chris Davis and Manny Machado have really slowed down.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Between defense and batting I would think he would have.   I don't recall anyone calling him out for not running hard.

He certainly always runs hard.   In fact, as someone (can't remember who) pointed out, when he runs he always looks like he's being chased by wild dogs.

• 1 year later...

Bump...2018 figures:

15. John Andreoli 29.6

23. Steve Wilkerson 29.4

30. Cedric Mullins 29.2

55. Craig Gentry 28.9

104. Jace Peterson 28.4

166. Joey Rickard 27.9

176.  Breyvic Valera 27.8

220.  Jonathan Schoop 27.6

227.  Jonathan Villar 27.5

268.  Renato Núñez 27.2

276.  Tim Beckham 27.2

284.  Anthony Santander 27.1 

294.  Trey Mancini 27.0

326.  Adam Jones 26.7

350.  Danny Valencia 26.5

361. Caleb Joseph 26.4

380.  Pedro Alvarez 26.2

381.   Mark Trumbo 26.2

391.  Manny Machado 26.1

412.  Colby Rasmus 25.8

439.   Chance Sisco 25.5

446.  Chris Davis 25.5

454.   Austin Wynns 25.2

The fastest sprint speed in baseball is Byron Buxton at 30.5, slowest is Albert Pujols at 22.2.

A few observations:

1.   Pretty cool that we have two of the top 30 on the current team, soon to be three when Wilkerson joins the team.

2.   Very interesting that Schoop’s sprint speed is actually a tad faster than Villar’s, yet Villar is a top base stealer while Schoop is regarded as an oversized 2B who may need to move off the position.   Obviously, sprint speed is only loosely related to defensive range as an infielder, but I was still very surprised to see where Schoop ranked.

3.   Adam Jones halfway between Trey Mancini and Caleb Joseph — pyew!

4.   If you want proof that there was something physically wrong with Colby Rasmus, there it is.   Or, the guy just didn’t care enough to run hard.  

On 6/27/2017 at 12:22 PM, George Zuverink said:

The biggest surprise in this for me was Mancini. It seems like every day we see another way everyone had underestimated him.

How is he underestimated?  He has shaken off his slump since being removed from the field. I suspect he is viewed as one of the Orioles top five non-pitchers currently. 

Archived