Heyman: Dodgers interested in Britton

Luke-OH

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

We don't know exactly what Britton is right now, though.    

What is interesting with that is, isn't it a bit of a catch 22?  I mean we need Britton to show his value and preferably in high leverage situations, which for him means closing close and late games.  So, to truly show he is what he was last year, we have to effectively get ourselves back into the hunt with Britton closing out and saving games and then will we be too close to a playoff spot to be willing to trade him away?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, murph said:

What is interesting with that is, isn't it a bit of a catch 22?  I mean we need Britton to show his value and preferably in high leverage situations, which for him means closing close and late games.  So, to truly show he is what he was last year, we have to effectively get ourselves back into the hunt with Britton closing out and saving games and then will we be too close to a playoff spot to be willing to trade him away?

Not really. We need Britton to show that his sinker is working and he is getting K's and ground outs. Because he was out for so long, we will use him in some low leverage situations to get work.

Didnt read every post in this thread so sorry if this was mentioned. Why would the Dodgers give up a lot for Britton when they have Jansen who is having a year like Britton did last year? I would think they have interest if they can get him cheap coming off the injury.

31 minutes ago, murph said:

I think 2-3 highly effective appearances would be enough to convince evaluators.    They already know he has the stomach for high-leverage performances, it's just a matter of whether his stuff and command are back to normal.   

Just now, Fuzzball22 said:

Didnt read every post in this thread so sorry if this was mentioned. Why would the Dodgers give up a lot for Britton when they have Jansen who is having a year like Britton did last year? I would think they have interest if they can get him cheap coming off the injury.

Because they have a legit chance to win a world series this year, and next year. A world series title is the ultimate prize. Any additional piece improves those chances.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think 2-3 highly effective appearances would be enough to convince evaluators.    They already know he has the stomach for high-leverage performances, it's just a matter of whether his stuff and command are back to normal.   

Probably, but I think the front office is going to be buyers if we get any closer, 4 games out of the WC and 2-3 wins out of the box could make it tough for them to sell (I agree they should sell, just not sure that is the way it will go). 

5 minutes ago, murph said:

Probably, but I think the front office is going to be buyers if we get any closer, 4 games out of the WC and 2-3 wins out of the box could make it tough for them to sell (I agree they should sell, just not sure that is the way it will go). 

Look at our next 4 series opponents going .500 would be a major Victory with our starting pitching. And very unlkely

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Look at our next 4 series opponents going .500 would be a major Victory with our starting pitching.

Oh I am not saying it is likely we go on a run, just that if we are too increase Britton's value over the next week or so, it could coincide with us being closer to a playoff spot and cause conflict with the front office and the path they choose. 

18 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Britton's value just isn't as high. Three reasons...

1. Control - Britton is controlled for the rest of this year and 2018, where Quintana is controllable through 2020

2. Contract - Britton is making 11.4m this year and will probably get a raise next year in arb., Quintana is making 6m this year, 8.8m next year, 10.5m in 2019, and 10.5m in 2020

3. Health questions

If the control and contract were the same, and he was healthy then I'd say Britton would have comparable value given the importance of shutdown relievers in the postseason.

All good points.  The only thing I'd point out in Britton's favor is - Quintana - while very solid - is not elite.  

24 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Because they have a legit chance to win a world series this year, and next year. A world series title is the ultimate prize. Any additional piece improves those chances.

And to keep a team like the Nats from getting him.  

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

All good points.  The only thing I'd point out in Britton's favor is - Quintana - while very solid - is not elite.  

Yes as the comparison for value is the Chapman deal with an extra year of control kicker.

teams like the Dodgers don't care about the raise.

23 minutes ago, murph said:

That's what I too believe what will happen. I am really worried about what the Angelos Family will chose to do. I just don't see a championship team. Like I said in an earlier post that it's very hard for me to cheer against the O's hoping they'd lose. Even if them losing would be to their future benefit. Oh well.

25 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I think you could easily make the argument that a guy like Britton, is a far greater weapon in a playoff series than Quintana would be for a team like the Dodgers. Miller has proven this. Having Britton and Jensen would be incredible and such relievers have never been more valued than they are now. 

12 minutes ago, Black Bat said:

I haven't seen many proposed trade and am trying to ascertain Britton's value here.  Is it realistic to believe the Orioles can pluck the top 2 prospects from any of teams interested?  Is that fair trade value?  Just curious.

I guess it would be based on how they rank overall.

here is what i said based off the Chapman deal. Yankees got Torres the 25th best prospect in baseball plus 3 others for 2 months of Chapman.

I'd be asking for 

Yadier Alvarez, Willie Calhoun, Walker Buelher, Starling Heredia, and Mitchell White.

Buehler is a great looking prospect 

https://dodgersway.com/2017/05/19/dodgers-prospect-walker-buehler/

Calhoun is close to ready power hitting if.

Heredia is hitting .470 on the year with power and only a 1/5 K Rate

And White is an SP prospect with more than a K per inning and hasn't given up a dinger in his 2 season minor league career

1 hour ago, murph said:

Oh I am not saying it is likely we go on a run, just that if we are too increase Britton's value over the next week or so, it could coincide with us being closer to a playoff spot and cause conflict with the front office and the path they choose. 

It's not like we need to win 7+ of the next 10 and Britton needs to close them all out for teams to be cool with Britton. Teams will likely have scouts at the game and watch how he pitches and if they think he's back on track or headed that way. He doesn't need to close games to show he's back or would be a good piece for a team to acquire. Hell, LAD probably won't even use him as a closer.

Archived