Just sell in the offseason instead with the new GM

interloper

While we doubt that Dan will sell at the deadline anyway, I think it makes some sense to hold off until the offseason.

Why?

1. You can still trade your big pieces: Britton, Brach, Machado, Jones, Castillo etc. The only players you can't deal are guys like Smith.

2. Those guys get a chance to rebuild some value in the 2nd half of the season.

3. Dan is most likely leaving once the season is complete. Personally, I'd rather the new GM come in, get with Buck, and then be the architect of any rebuild. Doesn't that sound more palatable than Dan slinging iffy trades and then throwin' up deuces?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Lucky_13 said:

Are they're whispers/rumors that Dan is leaving after this season?

Not really, but there certainly hasn't been a contract extension either. For now I am assuming he's gone and Buck is staying and retiring as an Oriole.

6 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Because teams with a legit chance to win World Series will give up more to improve their chances to win the World Series.

Correct. And Dan gets to leave when Peter asks him to. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

Correct. And Dan gets to leave when Peter asks him to. 

I don't think that's true. The man is on a contract, his contract ends after this year. He can say "no" to any contract extension and walk away, which is what I believe he will do.

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Because teams with a legit chance to win World Series will give up more to improve their chances to win the World Series.

I think it evens out. Our tradables are having poor seasons, so I don't think you're getting much more now than you would in the offseason. Plus there's the simple fact that we probably won't sell mid-season anyway because of Angelos. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't think that's true. The man is on a contract, his contract ends after this year. He can say "no" to any contract extension and walk away, which is what I believe he will do.

His contract ends after 2018, along with Buck's.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

While we doubt that Dan will sell at the deadline anyway, I think it makes some sense to hold off until the offseason.

Why?

1. You can still trade your big pieces: Britton, Brach, Machado, Jones, Castillo etc. The only players you can't deal are guys like Smith.

2. Those guys get a chance to rebuild some value in the 2nd half of the season.

3. Dan is most likely leaving once the season is complete. Personally, I'd rather the new GM come in, get with Buck, and then be the architect of any rebuild. Doesn't that sound more palatable than Dan slinging iffy trades and then throwin' up deuces?

Well after all that's up to PA. I think DD and Buck will be in Baltimore till their contracts expire. 

18 minutes ago, interloper said:

It ends after next year. 

Archived