Teams that could/should be interested in Britton

Roll Tide

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I have lowered Britton's chances of being moved to 12%.

Me too. Orioles winning plus Britton still not looking like a dominant closer. Better off letting him get healthy and trading him in the offseason or July 2018. I have a feeling we are mostly looking at third rate prospects for Smith. 

Smith 55%

Orioles second tier prospects for a SP 40%

Castillo 30%

Brach 25%

Britton 12%

Trumbo 3%

Manny 0%

12 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Bill Plunkett ✔@billplunkettocr

Well, that didn't go well. Walker Buehler faced 5 batters, retired none. Pulled after 29 pitches in AAA debut. 3 walks, 2 singles #Dodgers

8:29 PM - 20 Jul 2017

Ok sell now Dodgers!

It went along with Britton's bad day.  I'm all for a Britton deal for a package focussed around Buehler.  It makes sense for both teams.  Hopefully, we get an additional nice pitching piece in the deal.  Buehler would be HUGE needed help for the organization - and that trade would save the O's a bunch of money that would help them to afford to re-sign Machado.  The more young players the O's have to start the 2019 season, the lower the payroll around Machado - making it more reasonable to think the O's can afford Manny - which would be huge for the O's future, imo.        

52 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Me too. Orioles winning plus Britton still not looking like a dominant closer. Better off letting him get healthy and trading him in the offseason or July 2018. I have a feeling we are mostly looking at third rate prospects for Smith. 

Smith 55%

Orioles second tier prospects for a SP 40%

Castillo 30%

Brach 25%

Britton 12%

Trumbo 3%

Manny 0%

I think there are teams that will want him for playoffs. I'd be fine if he went to the Stros. I could be wrong but to me waiting for the offseason is not a wise choice for DD to make or take. At the deadline is when you could fleece someone. Now I don't know if DD has the makeup to be able to do some fleecing. Hope he does. Hope he is on the phones to other GM's.

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

I think there are teams that will want him for playoffs. I'd be fine if he went to the Stros. I could be wrong but to me waiting for the offseason is not a wise choice for DD to make or take. At the deadline is when you could fleece someone. Now I don't know if DD has the makeup to be able to do some fleecing. Hope he does. Hope he is on the phones to other GM's.

So I assume if Britton stays at this deadline you will chalk it up as he can't fleece another GM?

I want this more than anything, but you gotta realize that Britton isn't exactly at the top of his game and coming back from an injury. The likelyhood of "a good fleecing" where we get some insane amount isn't likely to be had unless he gets 3-4 more appearences and looks exactly like he did last year...and even then there is still some questions. I still think if we want to move him we can get a nice deal, but Britton isn't making this easier if he shows some struggles at times like he did last night as far as control and co. 

If this was last year when he was having an all-time great season, that's one thing. 

On 7/16/2017 at 6:05 AM, Cumberbundy said:

Why would Atl trade for Britton? 

Washington is the perfect fit. Houston next and then LAD. Each has great prospects, I'd like to deal with Washington because they need more than one arm and we have 3.

Any team getting Britton will give him a physical, he should be fine. Kimbrel giving up a HR yesterday is another selling point, ZB nearly requires 3 hits to get a run in. Pitch him with regularity until the deadline. Everyone knows he can handle the 9th. The team who gets him gets the best RP in baseball. 

I agree with you but with all due respect, until ZB demonstrates that his health allows him to in fact perform as the best RO in baseball, moving him is complicated. Would we discount? Should we?  

Look, the fact is that none of the Orioles pieces are performing in a way that allows us to "maximize " return in a move. This sets up for a difficult time for any GM, much less one who is judged in such a wide range as DD is here. If he doesn't make a move to improve the future, long or short term, he will have a large group here to answer to...if he does make a move, how much he gets will be critiqued intently. 

It says here there is little wiggle room for the Orioles GM, but the coming days will likely help define his ultimate legacy as Oriole GM. I cautiously await hoping to be impressed but understand that may not be so! 

24 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

So I assume if Britton stays at this deadline you will chalk it up as he can't fleece another GM?

I want this more than anything, but you gotta realize that Britton isn't exactly at the top of his game and coming back from an injury. The likelyhood of "a good fleecing" where we get some insane amount isn't likely to be had unless he gets 3-4 more appearences and looks exactly like he did last year...and even then there is still some questions. I still think if we want to move him we can get a nice deal, but Britton isn't making this easier if he shows some struggles at times like he did last night as far as control and co. 

If this was last year when he was having an all-time great season, that's one thing. 

Didn't know he was struggling last night. Brach could maybe get a good piece too. 

21 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I agree with you but with all due respect, until ZB demonstrates that his health allows him to in fact perform as the best RO in baseball, moving him is complicated. Would we discount? Should we?  

Look, the fact is that none of the Orioles pieces are performing in a way that allows us to "maximize " return in a move. This sets up for a difficult time for any GM, much less one who is judged in such a wide range as DD is here. If he doesn't make a move to improve the future, long or short term, he will have a large group here to answer to...if he does make a move, how much he gets will be critiqued intently. 

It says here there is little wiggle room for the Orioles GM, but the coming days will likely help define his ultimate legacy as Oriole GM. I cautiously await hoping to be impressed but understand that may not be so! 

You are right. I am so impatient. I want to see the O's improve. I don't want to be so harsh with DD. I don't want him to deal just to make a deal either. It's my impatience that gets in the way. 

34 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

It's more than just Britton having a tough time. Snydergaard,Dyson,Treinen and Thornburg were the uber velocity sinker studs of 2016. Not one of them has come close to their expectations. Change in ball? Change of strike zone? Or plain coincidence, I'd be reluctant to move major pieces for any of these guys right now.

12 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

According to Roch on Buster Olney's podcast, the Cubs and Dodgers have packages in place and are waiting for the Orioles to pull the trigger. Houston also in on him.

Did Olney offer up any names of prospects being offered?  Dodgers farm system is loaded, they give up the right prospects and I'm sending Zach on the next flight to Los Angeles.  

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Did Olney offer up any names of prospects being offered?  Dodgers farm system is loaded, they give up the right prospects and I'm sending Zach on the next flight to Los Angeles.  

No. They talked more about whether we're buyers or sellers or if Machado should be traded

16 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

According to Roch on Buster Olney's podcast, the Cubs and Dodgers have packages in place and are waiting for the Orioles to pull the trigger. Houston also in on him.

Come on DD. Pull the trigger. Wonder what the packages are? Who we would get back? 

Didn't the Cubs trade their remaining top 100-type prospects to get Quintana?  I wouldn't trade Britton if we weren't getting a consensus top-100 prospect (or a comparable young player already in the major leagues) back.  4 lesser prospects does not equal one really good prospect!  

Archived