Hays and Yaz going crazy for BaySox

wildcard

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:
  1. Trade Smith
  2. Play Kim everyday until 8/31, hope to trade him. Then DFA. 
  3. Start Santander rehab. Let's knock out his Rule 5 time this year.  
  4. Call up guys like Yaz, Dickerson to finish out the season.

i think Hays has a legit shot at being on the OD roster next year, but there is no point having him on the 40 man over the whole offseason. Yaz gets a chance because we have no problem DFA'ing him after the season. 

Good point about he 40 man over the winter for Hays.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

It would be pretty dumb to start the Hays clock now.  The earliest he should see Baltimore is next May.  Time to be smart and think of the long term.  No problem giving Yaz a look.

The service time issue didn't change in the new CBA?  I know that was a concern by the players, with Bryant as a headline example.  Still the same rules as the previous CBA?

They will keep those guys in Bowie to get the winning environment.  They have done that before they like the minor league guys that they think will help playing in a winning environment if they can in the minors.  

31 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:
  1. Trade Smith
  2. Play Kim everyday until 8/31, hope to trade him. Then DFA. 
  3. Start Santander rehab. Let's knock out his Rule 5 time this year.  
  4. Call up guys like Yaz, Dickerson to finish out the season.

i think Hays has a legit shot at being on the OD roster next year, but there is no point having him on the 40 man over the whole offseason. Yaz gets a chance because we have no problem DFA'ing him after the season. 

Keep forgetting about Santander. May have to play Trumbo in RF to get him at bats. 

18 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

The service time issue didn't change in the new CBA?  I know that was a concern by the players, with Bryant as a headline example.  Still the same rules as the previous CBA?

IF, we can sign Manny, I am not as worried about Hay's svc time. We would/could be looking at Chance/Austin being part of moving money around to sign Manny. Wellington and Seth are making 13 mil this year. Chance and Austin would be making the min. (around .600 each).

However, I would want to sign Manny now. We need to know what direction we are going in.

I agree with those who say it makes no sense to bring up Hays right now. It starts his clock, puts him on the 40-man unnecessarily premature, and he's only been in AA for a month. 

As for Yaz, the Orioles think so much of him they sent him back to Bowie when they have Gentry, Dickerson, Schafer, Walker and Washington all playing ahead of him in AAA. If the Orioles need an outfielder who can hit right-handers, here's the AAA OFs slash lines:

Washington - .302/.355/.538/.893 not a good defender
Dickerson - 250/.368/.396/.764 decent defender
Mike Yastrzemski (AAA) - .260/.339/.417/.756 decent defender
Schafer - .272/.357/.389/.746 plus a good defender
Gentry - .260/.348/.300/.648 decent defender but no arm

All but Yaz have big league experience. I wouldn't be against bringing him up if they traded Smith or Kim, but my guess is they will give Dickerson or Schafer a chance first, even though if the team is rebuilding, why not give the 26-year old a chance?

59 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If he stays in Bowie he will probably play in some playoff games.   After the playoffs then the O's have the decision whether to bring him up to the majors the way they did with Mancini last year.

There's no reason to call him up in 2017, at all. It starts the clock unnecessarily. He'd be here literally just to be here.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Forward thinking would be delaying the service time clock on Hays, not looking for a "feel good" storyline to distract the fans from an awful season.

Unless Hays can pitch, now is not the time to bring him to the majors.   

54 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Does anyone have a list of players we have to add to the 40 man by next year? And also who are out of options? 

You can go to: Roster Resource.com for the options.

Note: I think if it shows 1 option, that 1 option is THIS year.

I think there are 17 players that need to be looked at to be added to the 40 man roster. Best of that group are: Sisco/Long and Scott.

1 minute ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

You can go to: Roster Resource.com for the options.

Note: I think if it shows 1 option, that 1 option is THIS year.

I think there are 17 players that need to be looked at to be added to the 40 man roster. Best of that group are: Sisco/Long and Scott.

Thanks. I knew their was some site out there. 

2 minutes ago, Larry18 said:

The ship has sailed on Santander. He needs 90 days on the active roster to automatically become Oriole property. 

True but those days count towards 90 from this year. They carryover to next year. 

Just now, Larry18 said:

They only get one season to amass the necessary number.

I don't think that is correct. I thought as long as the player spends some days that counts towards the 90. I don't think it has to be all in one season.  

Archived