Hays and Yaz going crazy for BaySox

wildcard

Hays hit two homers and knocked in 4 last  night.   He is now hitting for a 928 OPS in 93 at bats at AA.   He is probably too good for that level.

Yaz went 4 for 5 and drove in 2 last night.   That included a double and triple.  His line in AA is 393/443/738/1181.   He has found his power.  He has 5 homers and 18 RBI in 61 at bats at AA.  Add that to the 4 homers and 20 RBI in 82 at bats at AAA away from Harbor Park and he has 9 homers and 38 RBI in  143 at bats away from Harbor Park.   He is not a Punch and Judy hitter anymore.  We should know from Mancini not to put much weight on the stats at Harbor Park for hitters.

The O's could trade Smith and Kim, call up these two guys and it would probably be an upgrade.

Meanwhile Lucas Long went 7 inning last night and did not allow an earned run.  Long is now 6-3 with a 1.91 ERA, a 1.04 WHIP and .226 avg allowed. 

The Baysox are two games ahead in first place which is why these guys have not been promoted to the last place Tides.

We can probably expect to see these guys with the O's in September if not before.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hays hit two homers and knocked in 4 last  night.   He is now hitting for a 928 OPS in 93 at bats at AA.   He is probably too good for that level.

Yaz went 4 for 5 and drove in 2 last night.   That included a double and triple.  His line in AA is 393/443/738/1181.   He has found his power.  He has 5 homers and 18 RBI in 61 at bats at AA.  Add that to the 4 homers and 20 RBI in 82 at bats at AAA away from Harbor Park and he has 9 homers and 38 RBI in  143 at bats away from Harbor Park.   He is not a Punch and Judy hitter anymore.  We should know from Mancini not to put much weight on the stats at Harbor Park for hitters.

The O's could trade Smith and Kim, call up these two guys and it would probably be an upgrade.

Meanwhile Lucas Long went 7 inning last night and did not allow an earned run.  Long is now 6-3 with a 1.91 ERA, a 104 WHIP and .226 avg allowed. 

The Baysox are two games ahead in first place which is why these guys have not been promoted to the last place Tides.

We can probably expect to see these guys with the O's in September if not before.

Bring them up ASAP. No reason to wait till September. Do I think DD and Buck will do that? No, they will run out the same sad lineup day in day out. 

Hays was just in Aberdeen last summer.  He's had a fantastic season but he's barely been in Bowie a month.  Let him finish the season there and come to ST next spring looking to earn a job.  I agree he'd probably be an upgrade over what we have now, but I'm more concerned about him developing properly than I am about improving the ML club at this point.

Yaz is one streaky hitter, he's been pretty nondescript the past few seasons both at Norfolk and Bowie so i don't think it's just a Harbor Park thing for him.  But he does go on a roll when he's hot.  He's 26 at this point.  I have no worries about losing him, so sure, bring him up.  The PR would be fun if nothing else.

Long probably is the most intriguing to me, only because I'd rather see anyone other than Miley and Jimenez pitch right now.  So sure, bring up Long.  Find Willis Roberts wherever he is nowadays.  Find Jose Mesa.  Or Jeff Ballard.  Or anyone other than Miley and Jimenez.   But yeah, I'd like to see Long get a shot at this point, he can't do any worse.

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

Bring them up ASAP. No reason to wait till September. Do I think DD and Buck will do that? No, they will run out the same sad lineup day in day out. 

It would be stupid to start the class can on guys this season that actually hav a chance to make a difference 

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It would be pretty dumb to start the Hays clock now.  The earliest he should see Baltimore is next May.  Time to be smart and think of the long term.  No problem giving Yaz a look.

Maybe you are right.  But the organization needs to do something. I just think they should be forward thinking and IMO they are not. 

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It would be pretty dumb to start the Hays clock now.  The earliest he should see Baltimore is next May.  Time to be smart and think of the long term.  No problem giving Yaz a look.

Roch thinks Hays may start the season with the big league club next year. If they are that sold on him then it does make sense to call him up in September. 

34 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Maybe you are right.  But the organization needs to do something. I just think they should be forward thinking and IMO they are not. 

NOT calling Hays up WOULD be forward-thinking. The organization seems to have finally accepted that 2017 is not the year. They're preparing to move at least a few bullpen arms. There's absolutely no reason to start Hays' clock. I'd say just let him keep raking in Bowie and building confidence, and then give him a good, hard look in ST next year.

Yastrzemski, sure, call up. He's not a prospect. If you want to throw him some at bats after presumably selling a few guys from the lineup, sure, go ahead. No harm in it.

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yeah.   It wouldn't make much difference then.   But it would be a pretty stupid thing to do.    Would be nice to have an extra year of service time for Jon Schoop now, wouldn't it?     If you think having Hays up here to start next season is the difference between making the playoffs or not, then by all means.

I hear you. Just repeating what he said. If they indeed do go that route, it is a cheap solution money wise. They aren't going the Astros route as we all know. Catcher will be solved in house if Castillo leaves. That leaves SS and of course the starting pitching. 

22 minutes ago, andrewochs615 said:

Move them to AAA

Again, Hays skipped Delmarva this year, started in Frederick, and has been in Bowie for around a month.  Let him get settled in Bowie and finish the year there, it's already been a whirlwind year for him.  

Just now, glenn__davis said:

Again, Hays skipped Delmarva this year, started in Frederick, and has been in Bowie for around a month.  Let him get settled in Bowie and finish the year there, it's already been a whirlwind year for him.  

Yeah, there's no reason to send him to the pit of sadness that is Norfolk this season. Just let him keep doing his thing in Bowie.

10 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Yeah, there's no reason to send him to the pit of sadness that is Norfolk this season. Just let him keep doing his thing in Bowie.

If he stays in Bowie he will probably play in some playoff games.   After the playoffs then the O's have the decision whether to bring him up to the majors the way they did with Mancini last year.

1. Trade Smith
  2. Play Kim everyday until 8/31, hope to trade him. Then DFA. 
  3. Start Santander rehab. Let's knock out his Rule 5 time this year.  
  4. Call up guys like Yaz, Dickerson to finish out the season.

i think Hays has a legit shot at being on the OD roster next year, but there is no point having him on the 40 man over the whole offseason. Yaz gets a chance because we have no problem DFA'ing him after the season. 

44 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Forward thinking would be delaying the service time clock on Hays, not looking for a "feel good" storyline to distract the fans from an awful season.

I am not wanting to distract fans from this horrible season. But why not bring up some minor leaguers? I'd rather watch a team of them than this sad sack bunch that's run  out day in day out. Now maybe they can't do that. Maybe I am just grasping at straws. I don't know about the minor league and their clocks starting if they come up. I just wish something could be done. Just a frustrated fan. 

Archived