Miley and Ubaldo's last chance

wildcard

In the rotation.   Here is where I think the O's are with these two players.

The O's are teetering on the edge of contention.   They can no longer afford to wait for their starters to perform well.  Both Miley and Ubaldo had bad outings to start the 2nd half.   I think their next starts tonight and tomorrow night will be critical to them staying in the rotation.   Bleier and Asher are ready  for  shots at the rotation.

I am not saying that Miley and/or Ubaldo will be DFA.  Rather there is a better chance that one or both will be moved to the pen.

This is not unlike what happened last year when Wilson nd Wright were taken out the rotation and replaced with Bundy and Miley.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

In the rotation.   Here is where I think the O's are with these two players.

The O's are tittering on the edge of contention.   They can no longer afford to wait for their starters to perform well.  Both Miley and Ubaldo had bad outings to start the 2nd half.   I think their next starts tonight and tomorrow night will be critical to them staying in the rotation.   Bleier and Asher are ready  for  shots at the rotation.

I am not saying that Miley and/or Ubaldo will be DFA.  Rather there is a better chance that one or both will be moved to the pen.

This is not unlike what happened last year when Wilson nd Wright were taken out the rotation and replaced with Bundy and Miley.

They may be. But has Asher and Bleier ever started a game? It's a shame the O's don't  have a pitcher in the minors ready to come up. 

Release Ubaldo.  Love him as a person, but it's astounding to me that he's still starting games for us.

Bring up Lucas Long.  No idea what the organization thinks of him but he's put up good numbers at AA this year.  Maybe he can have a Chris Waters/Travis Driskill/Dave Borkowksi-like run.

17 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Release Ubaldo.  Love him as a person, but it's astounding to me that he's still starting games for us.

Bring up Lucas Long.  No idea what the organization thinks of him but he's put up good numbers at AA this year.  Maybe he can have a Chris Waters/Travis Driskill/Dave Borkowksi-like run.

Ubaldo has to go. Especially if this team starts to claw back. Ubaldo is a momentum killer. 

We have 6 guys without options that are P's for next year. Try and get Cahill or Gonzo or someone that we can battle with. 

Aquino, Wright, Ynoa, Wilson, Verret, Nuno- Let SD pick from these guys. 

Teetering on the edge of contention for what?  Three good starts and all of a sudden we are forgetting the Orioles have had one of the worst rotations in history for lengthy stretches of this season.

I don't like Ubaldo and Miley, and the fact that they haven't been released shows a bit of the hypocrisy of the presumption of parity in the league  (the Red Sox are paying $40 million to Sandoval, Craig and Castillo) and are relatively unaffected competitively by the failure to to allocate that money well.  Meanwhile the Orioles are forced to start bad pitchers because they can't afford to pay them not to play.  But they are not stopping the development of other players, be it Ascher and Bleier of anyone else.  Might as well put the innings on their arms.

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Worked for Gausman.  ;)

Did it? Gausman's over-reliance on his fastball feels like an issue caused by him being put in high pressure situations where mistakes were too costly.

2 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Teetering on the edge of contention for what?  Three good starts and all of a sudden we are forgetting the Orioles have had one of the worst rotations in history for lengthy stretches of this season.

I don't like Ubaldo and Miley, and the fact that they haven't been released shows a bit of the hypocrisy of the presumption of parity in the league  (the Red Sox are paying $40 million to Sandoval, Craig and Castillo) and are relatively unaffected competitively by the failure to to allocate that money well.  Meanwhile the Orioles are forced to start bad pitchers because they can't afford to pay them not to play.  But they are not stopping the development of other players, be it Ascher and Bleier of anyone else.  Might as well put the innings on their arms.

It is not true that the Orioles can't afford to release Ubaldo.  The O's have to pay Ubaldo either way, so the marginal cost of releasing Ubaldo and calling up a rookie to replace him is just the prorated portion of the major league minimum salary.  If the O's think Jayson Aquino or whoever can pitch better than Ubaldo over the rest of the season, then they should make the move.  

If the Orioles' front office doesn't understand the principle of sunk costs as well as the Red Sox do, then that's inequality of competence rather than inequality of resources.  

10 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

how many "last chances" has Ubaldo had?

For real.

It's almost as if this organization is like "That's it! We're done with Ubaldo!". And then he twirls his "once in 2 months gem"...and then they're back on the "Keep Ubaldo" wagon. It's pathetic. Just cut him. 

12 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

If the Orioles' front office doesn't understand the principle of sunk costs as well as the Red Sox do, then that's inequality of competence rather than inequality of resources.  

It could be that too.  And may very well be that.  But large money in failed contracts hasn't stopped the Red Sox from signing stop gaps like Fister, or spending more money in the international market, or spending money on development.  I am not so sure we can say that of the Orioles.  We constantly hear about budgets from Dan and about him having to get approval for certain moves because of the cost implications.  But alas, I have interjected a parity rant into a thread about the merits of continuing to run Ubaldo out there.

He is not effective, but I am not sure anyone else would be more effective.  And I think it's too early in the season to move to your last few options at SP.

Archived