Anyone else open to the idea of extending Manny?

Grt 2BA FL Gator

Is anyone else open to us paying for Manny?   

69 members have voted

1. 1. Extending Manny

• Yes, he is a future HOF with many productive years left, and possibly the best 3B of all time
    • No, his contract will limit us for years to come
    • No, we have more needs than just Manny, it's worth the risk to get multiple prospects back
    • No, and part of why I say no is we have already missed the window to extend him. I don't expect us to make a real offer and I hope we can at least get something back for him

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

There has to be a price point for him to accept a 2-3 year extension that would guarantee him enough money right now to set himself and several generations up for life. Then hit the market at age 28 or 29 for an even bigger payday. If things play out, he could actually earn more money that way than one 10-12 year deal.

That said, DD has no incentive to get this deal done. He and Buck are set up to win through 2018 and worry let 2019 and beyond be somebody else's problem.

So, let's say the O's offer $105 for three, plus $20 for next year. That's $125 for 4. You think he would take that over waiting a year and getting a 10 year for $300 plus? Seems unlikely and extremely stupid (not you, Manny) to me.

It's really not up the Orioles, it's up to Manny. And I have a feeling he wants to play in a larger market under brighter lights. 

Bottom line is the Orioles need to get a straight answer out of him and his agent this offseason on whether or not he wants to play for the Orioles (and what it will take). And if they don't give them one he needs to be traded. They can't walk away with just a compensation pick to show for it. That will cripple this franchise. 

I was very down on the chances of the O's re-signing Manny, but given several pleasant surprises in the minors - I think the O's could have a bunch of very inexpensive position player starters in 2019 - and that could allow them to afford Manny.  But the O's are going to have to get lucky in getting/developing a couple of starting pitchers in that time.    

36 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

There has to be a price point for him to accept a 2-3 year extension that would guarantee him enough money right now to set himself and several generations up for life. Then hit the market at age 28 or 29 for an even bigger payday. If things play out, he could actually earn more money that way than one 10-12 year deal.

That said, DD has no incentive to get this deal done. He and Buck are set up to win through 2018 and worry let 2019 and beyond be somebody else's problem.

The price point on a 2-3 year deal is probably close to $50 mm/yr.    That's not happening.    

I'd love to extend Manny.   It's going to take at least 10/$300 mm IMO, and he's worth that.     But he'll likely get more as a free agent if he bounces back offensively next year.  

By the way, fangraphs has Manny on pace to be worth about $25 mm this year, after being worth >$50 mm in each of the last two seasons.  

I am in the minority when I say this, I know.

I don't see Manny getting a contract like FRobby suggests. I see more along the lines of 8/150. 

As per usual the front office did "nothing" and the window for any kind of "deal" is gone. Can't totally blame them with the knee injuries though. Hard to want to extend a guy on the DL.

1 minute ago, twinedenter said:

I don't see Manny getting a contract like FRobby suggests. I see more along the lines of 8/150. 

So he'll get less than Chris Davis?  

4 minutes ago, twinedenter said:

As per usual the front office did "nothing" and the window for any kind of "deal" is gone. Can't totally blame them with the knee injuries though. Hard to want to extend a guy on the DL.

You mean the congenital issue with his knees that have not been a bit of a problem since the defect has been fixed? 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You mean the congenital issue with his knees that have not been a bit of a problem since the defect has been fixed? 

Oh I agree with you 100%. The problem is when a team sweet extension would have been offered, it would have been around the time of the injuries. Making it tough for any org to make that commitment. 

Trust me, I would love to have Manny back.

1 minute ago, twinedenter said:

Oh I agree with you 100%. The problem is when a team sweet extension would have been offered, it would have been around the time of the injuries. Making it tough for any org to make that commitment. 

Trust me, I would love to have Manny back.

But once they cut the one knee open they knew what they were dealing with.  From what I have read Manny is no more likely to have knee issues than anyone else.  I don't see why that could discourage a team from signing him to an extension.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So he'll get less than Chris Davis?  

This is the issue with my statement and why I am so torn on whether or not they will sign him and what it will cost.

1 hand I can't believe the organization would not have chosen Davis over Manny

Other hand maybe they thought they couldn't resign Manny? Maybe he has said something to them about going FA. 

I dunno.

Archived