BTB :Britton's low trade value could hurt O's chances of dealing him

Tony-OH

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2017/7/25/16015836/zach-britton-orioles-trade-rumors-dodgers-reliever-deadline

Interesting article here has some quotes from some teams looking at Britton and it's not good if you are hoping to deal him for some blue chip prospects.

“Britton is such a red flag for me,” said a scout from a team that badly wants to add top-flight relief. “Your medical people are going to earn every dollar if you agree to a trade for him. He is just not consistent. I am not sure if it is elbow or the fact that he missed two months and needs time to get consistent.”

“But what scares me is the Orioles gave him all the time he needed to get healthy, gave him plenty of rehab outings and I am watching a guy who just pounded the bottom of the strike zone last year and now the ball is spraying all over the place too often.”

However, one top executive for a team that also wants to add a big-time reliever said, “His salary is only going to climb (for 2018) and if he gets hurt in the next two months, which is a serious consideration, you probably have to non-tender him and not have him next year.”

As the Orioles best trade chip, if you can't get blue chip prospects for him, you may want to consider rolling the dice and going for it in a weak wild card year. I just hope one teams becomes desperate enough to offer the right deal, but I fear that Duquette will go the other way and trade one of our few actual prospects for someone that might not make much of a difference ala Davis for Parr in 2015.

I'm still trading Britton if i'm Duquette, at least if I'm getting at least one blue chip starter or SS prospect for him.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completely understand the underlying sentiment of this article, but the two choices aren't just trading Britton or "going for it". There are plenty of other pieces they can trade now. Brach, Smith, Castillo, Kim, and possibly even Trumbo. If they're getting low balled on Britton let him use the rest of the season to regain his value then trade him in the off season. Those other pieces might not bring back can't miss prospects, but they need to start somewhere in terms of rebuilding the farm system. Use Britton (and possibly Manny) to land your blue chip prospects in the offseason. 

It's pretty easy for me.  If you don't get Buehler, Whitley, Honeywell, or Pint, you keep him.  If the high price tag and injury concerns scare teams from trading for him, keep him and see what you can get in the winter.  I really don't care if those teams blow their playoffs on a shaky bullpen.

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2017/7/25/16015836/zach-britton-orioles-trade-rumors-dodgers-reliever-deadline

Interesting article here has some quotes from some teams looking at Britton and it's not good if you are hoping to deal him for some blue chip prospects.

“Britton is such a red flag for me,” said a scout from a team that badly wants to add top-flight relief. “Your medical people are going to earn every dollar if you agree to a trade for him. He is just not consistent. I am not sure if it is elbow or the fact that he missed two months and needs time to get consistent.”

“But what scares me is the Orioles gave him all the time he needed to get healthy, gave him plenty of rehab outings and I am watching a guy who just pounded the bottom of the strike zone last year and now the ball is spraying all over the place too often.”

However, one top executive for a team that also wants to add a big-time reliever said, “His salary is only going to climb (for 2018) and if he gets hurt in the next two months, which is a serious consideration, you probably have to non-tender him and not have him next year.”

As the Orioles best trade chip, if you can't get blue chip prospects for him, you may want to consider rolling the dice and going for it in a weak wild card year. I just hope one teams becomes desperate enough to offer the right deal, but I fear that Duquette will go the other way and trade one of our few actual prospects for someone that might not make much of a difference ala Davis for Parr in 2015.

I'm still trading Britton if i'm Duquette, at least if I'm getting at least one blue chip starter or SS prospect for him.

I too fear that too Tony. 

9 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Is the money risk too much of a concern when you can simply not offer him arbitration in 2018 if he's injured?  

Whether it is or isn't, the threat is going to lower what other teams are willing to give up now.  It might be best to keep him for the rest of the season in the hope that he builds his value up some.  Of course, the concern you mention also applies to the O's.     

I tend to ignore anonymous sources from any team at the trade deadline.  Our scouts and executives are trying to inflate trade value while sources from other teams are trying to deflate trade value.  This is like the NFL draft, total BS time.  Having said that, I agree that Britton's forearm woes may have an effect on his perceived value now.  But, WildBill is correct that there are other moves to be made.

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I tend to ignore anonymous sources from any team at the trade deadline.  Our scouts and executives are trying to inflate trade value while sources from other teams are trying to deflate trade value.  This is like the NFL draft, total BS time.  Having said that, I agree that Britton's forearm woes may have an effect on his perceived value now.  But, WildBill is correct that there are other moves to be made.

Right ...the real problem is Duquette believing that the Orioles actually have chance at anything more than a one game playoff. I don't expect the SP all the sudden to hold up. 

Even though they have all these teams ahead of them, they're way too close now to sell anybody. Unless they lose just about all the games between now and the 31st, I don't see anybody getting traded and they will probably try to add an SP.

6 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Meh, regardless of the sources being anonymous, it's pretty obvious that those concerns make complete sense - they're based on facts.  He did have trouble getting people out in rehab assignments, and he has yet to look like his old self.  These things are facts - not BS.  

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

Meh, regardless of the sources being anonymous, it's pretty obvious that those concerns make complete sense - they're based on facts.  He did have trouble getting people out in rehab assignments, and he has yet to look like his old self.  These things are facts - not BS.  

I don't disagree, but if a team buys Britton, they're buying on the belief that he will return to form.  There's reason to believe that is possible if he really is healthy.  Given his lack of game action, I'm not surprised that his command has been lacking.  But the power sinker is definitely still there.

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I agree.    At the same time, he's mostly gotten the job done.    I'm sure teams will want him, it's just that they won't be willing to pay quite as much as would if he were consistently dominating right now.  

10 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I don't disagree, but if a team buys Britton, they're buying on the belief that he will return to form.  There's reason to believe that is possible if he really is healthy.  Given his lack of game action, I'm not surprised that his command has been lacking.  But the power sinker is definitely still there.

Sure, but having to believe and being pretty positive affects value.

Archived