Asher and Bleier should each get 5 starts in September

wildcard

The O's have to know what they have with these two pitchers going into next year. Once the rosters expand there is no reason to not give them a chance.

Asher - is  10-7 with a 3.21 ERA in 25 starts at AAA. He has had quality starts vs Boston twice and Toronto once this year.  

Bleier -  Was 14-5 with a 2.57 ERAon 171 innings  in 26 starts at AA/AAA in 2015.  Has a 1.73 ERA in the majors.   He has shown he can get majors leaguer out  and was a successful starter in the minors.

I would throw Aquino and maybe even Ynoa into that mix too. Would be helpful to have some sense of just how many new starters we will need for 2018. Of course, all that will be difficult because we now have six starters, but if you can give away or just not use Ubaldo or Miley, and largely shut down Bundy when we're out of it in September, you can start to get there.

Totally agree though; let's try to use september to see what we've got.

I would use Asher, Aquino and Ynoa. I'd keep Bleier in the bullpen the rest of this season, especially if Britton and Brach are moved. Give hime the opportunity in the spring to win a job as a starter.

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Unless someone in the organization sees Bleier as potentially becoming the next Jamie Moyer, I see no reason to move him, at age 30, into the rotation. Enjoy what we're getting from him out of the bullpen.

The O's need starters.  We have seen Bleier pitch well in relief.  The O's need to know what he can do as a starter.  If you are right he will fail in September and next year he will be in the pen.  But he has pitched well enough to get a chance to start.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The O's need starters.  We have seen Bleier pitch well in relief.  The O's need to know what he can do as a starter.  If you are right he will fail in September and next year he will be in the pen.  But he has pitched well enough to get a chance to start.

Regardless of his success in the pen, it is illogical to think he can become an effective major league pitcher at a time when he is likely to decline, no matter how nice it would be if it could happen. I would be more afraid that he would get screwed up by pushing him beyond his ability than I would be optimistic of a positive result.

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

Regardless of his success in the pen, it is illogical to think he can become an effective major league pitcher at a time when he is likely to decline, no matter how nice it would be if it could happen. I would be more afraid that he would get screwed up by pushing him beyond his ability than I would be optimistic of a positive result.

Screwing up Bleier by starting him is not a concern I have nor is his age.   He had success as a starter in the minors and has not had a  chance as a starter in the majors.   He is pitching well.  I would like to see what he can do as a starter and if the O's are out on it in September there is not a better time to see what he has got.

Just now, wildcard said:

Screwing up Bleier by starting him is not a concern I have nor is his age.   He had success as a starter in the minors and has not had a  chance as a starter in the majors.   He is pitching well.  I would like to see what he can do as a starter and if the O's are out on it in September there is not a better time to see what he has got.

Well then, we have different concerns.

2 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

The most that Bleier has pitched as far as innings since his first appearance is 2 2/3.  He would probably be better suited to wait until ST and put him on a starters schedule then.  Think Brian Matusz every year.

The O's load up on pitchers in September adding mostly minor league relievers to the roster.   So Bleier can start and go 3  or 4 innings in his first start in September with out stressing the pen.   Stretch him out more with each start if he does well.

Hopefully somehow DD can address the rotation in the off season so we don't need to move a successful part of the pen to the rotation. Not that I have any confidence in him to do that, but I think there are options other than hoping a bullpen arm can become a decent starter. 

27 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Aquino and Ynoa have both been very inconsistent this year.  They are both out of options next year.  I expect them to be DFA'd in September so the O's can bring up other minor leaguers.

I would be very, very surprised to see that. Sure they've been inconsistent, but so has everyone else, really (Bleier not as much, but he's been in the bullpen role). Why would we DFA guys with some potential when rosters expand? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The earliest I think we would see these guys DFA'ed is next spring. There is just little reason to do it sooner, IMHO.

59 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Unless someone in the organization sees Bleier as potentially becoming the next Jamie Moyer, I see no reason to move him, at age 30, into the rotation. Enjoy what we're getting from him out of the bullpen.

I agree, especially if we are trying to compete next year. If any of these guys are in our starting 5 next year, it doesn't give me the confidence that we can contend; not saying we can't, but I feel a better plan will be put into place before next season starts. Someone's gonna have to fill some starts to close the season, but I agree with the OP, pick one or two and stick with him. I say Aquino.

Bleir, if it ain't broke... If we trade B@B, Bleir and Castro need practice in more demanding roles to close the season out.

I'm interested in how Dan will approach the FA market for SP. I'm sure his experience with Jiminez and Gallardo will influence it.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I think Aquino and Ynoa have both been very inconsistent this year.  They are both out of options next year.  I expect them to be DFA'd in September so the O's can bring up other minor leaguers.

With talk of moving Smith and or Castillo, I would add one of the above to a trade to get "" a little more back "

Note: I think there are seven pitchers on the 40 man roster that are OUT of minor league options. I would not wait to non-tender this winter or next spring training..Add this type of player to any trade to improve what comes back.

Archived