It's a disgrace....

ChuckS

Just now, backwardsk said:

If you ascribe to the notion that if you make the playoffs, you are a contender, then yes.  We're 6.5 games out with historically bad SP and no production at SS.

2014 proved that if we have competent pitching, we are a very good team.

2014 was a lifetime ago.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

And you think that is a likely contender?

With the Red Sox and the Yankees?

Not by a long shot and that is not even taking into account whatever talent both teams add this offseason.

It's boderline delusional to think that the Orioles have enough talent to beat either of those two teams. That leaves the 2nd wilcard IMO at best and frankly that becomes a much longer shot with a strong Boston and NY becuase of the sheer number of times you have to play them. Familiar story eh. I love this team but any realistic comparison of the projected rosters is going to come to that conclusion.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That same core will be older in 2018.  Older is generally not better.  Trumbo, Davis, Jones and O'Day are already showing their age.  The pitching is a larger question mark than it was this year.

Do the other teams get older?

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Why should we be sold on the Yankees and Red Sox being great teams next season? They aren't this year.

Ok so they are not "great" teams.

Both are better now top to bottom.

Both have far far superior talent on the farm

Both have far far more money to spend than we do.

Both are making better personnel decisions than we are....thus all the young controllable talent.

I can't imagine why anyone would be concerned by all that though.

I think more than anything, I am more afraid of just treading water again for years instead of getting to work with a proper rebuild

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Yankees in particular have been getting younger.

Other teams tend not to extend multi-year deals to retain the services of their over 30 players.

ARod, Sabathia, Gardner for about a bajillion dollars.

Archived