Does anyone have a better replacement for Hardy next year than Beckham?

interloper

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So he has the same WAR as last year in more playing time?

That isn't an improvement.

That means that on an at bat level he's doing less well this year.

I like the fact that his OBP has improved each year.   I think there's more upside than downside offensively.    That said, I haven't seen him play a ton, and I expect he will have some traits that annoy me.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I like the fact that his OBP has improved each year.   I think there's more upside than downside offensively.    That said, I haven't seen him play a ton, and I expect he will have some traits that annoy me.

Could be I guess.  I think he is who he is at this point.  Someone that will be a slightly below average hitter who can hopefully play solid defense at short.

6 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I can't imagine why you believe that Orioles coaches are superior to Rays coaches at changing player behavior.  

Probably more peer pressure from Manny, Jonathan and Hardy to listen to Bobby.  Plus Buck may be better at dealing with Beckham than Cash was.

21 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I don't know why you think this question needs to be answered now. If we hadn't traded for Beckham, I'd be pretty confident in our ability to acquire enough infielders to field a team. I am skeptical of the idea that Beckham will even be on the team next year. 

What makes you skeptical that he'll be on the team? He's controllable through 2020. It is more likely than not that he will be on the roster next season. 

Just now, interloper said:

My point is that I don't know what the other options are. Do you? 

The FA class for SS is weak, but another of the same, isn't working. 3rd base FA market looks better.

It all depends on IF they will move Manny or Schoop to SS. If they would, then they certainly can do better than Beckham. From this move, it appears they don't want to. So..they took the cheapest option. Ala not in "win-now" mode. 

3 minutes ago, twinedenter said:

Duquette had an open position for 2018. A chance to add some balance to this offense and he failed again. Beckham is ANOTHER swing 'n miss guy who won't take a walk. The lack of foresight with him is mind boggling. So tired of the "1st round" thought behind acquisitions of guys who are busts. 

What other short stops were available for trade that were under control for next year other then beckham? 

I'm not saying the guy's a world beater but he's a 1.3 win player which is a drastic improvement over Hardy/Tejada and probably better then anyone we were going to sign over the winter.  He's a former number one overall pick so he has talent. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Think BJ Upton with not quite the power. "Couldn't hit the curve with an ironing board" is what my buddy said. Defense is solid but arm is a bit erratic. Another "project".

3 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

What other short stops were available for trade that were under control for next year other then beckham? 

I'm not saying the guy's a world beater but he's a 1.3 win player which is a drastic improvement over Hardy/Tejada and probably better then anyone we were going to sign over the winter.  He's a former number one overall pick so he has talent. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. 

No one here has that information but I am not sure that "hole" needed to be filled this second. More to the point that Duquette believes this team can win. Even saying that makes me chuckle at how silly it is.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So the Rays don't coach the kids in the minors?

We've all seen guys who blossomed with a change of scenery.    Maybe Beckham will be one of them.     He's also still on the part of the major league learning curve (<800 PA) where gaining experience may help him improve.

Archived