Does anyone have a better replacement for Hardy next year than Beckham?

interloper

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wasn't suggesting that.

I was suggesting he hasn't improved.

And what's your basis for making that statement?

As I said, he didn't play in the majors with TB, so that's a difficult statement to back up. 

Re: his time in Baltimore, he's gone from a negative WAR player to a positive one (both flavors), mainly due to better fielding metrics. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BohKnowsBmore said:

And what's your basis for making that statement?

As I said, he didn't play in the majors with TB, so that's a difficult statement to back up. 

Re: his time in Baltimore, he's gone from a negative WAR player to a positive one (both flavors), mainly due to better fielding metrics. 

The vaunted "eye test".  I've been watching him since he joined the organization and haven't seen much in the way of improvement.

Unfortunately fielding metrics with such a small sample size are unreliable at best.

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Probably more peer pressure from Manny, Jonathan and Hardy to listen to Bobby.  Plus Buck may be better at dealing with Beckham than Cash was.

I doubt Longoria had any problem at all schooling him. Hopefully, the O's have the secret password to his inner self and will turn him into a better fielder, a better hitter and a better baserunner who plays the game the right way.

14 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

What makes you skeptical that he'll be on the team? He's controllable through 2020. It is more likely than not that he will be on the roster next season. 

Not after Buck has put up with him for a couple of months. If he were a consistent contributor, heads up player and great teammate, the Rays wouldn't have gotten rid of him.

6 minutes ago, twinedenter said:

No one here has that information but I am not sure that "hole" needed to be filled this second. More to the point that Duquette believes this team can win. Even saying that makes me chuckle at how silly it is.

Don't laugh too hard.  Ubaldo had a 2.45 ERA over his last 7 starts last year.   Gausman has apparently found his effectiveness.  Bundy will get more rest with the acquisition of Hellickson.     The pen could be among the best in the league in the 2nd half.     Its worth watching to see what happens.l;aksdga

Just now, wildcard said:

Don't laugh too hard.  Ubaldo had a 2.45 ERA over his last 7 starts last year.   Gausman has apparently found his effectiveness.  Bundy will get more rest with the acquisition of Hellickson.     The pen could be among the best in the league in the 2nd half.     Its worth watching to see what happens.l;aksdga

Not to mention that our schedule over the next three weeks is not tough. We play the Tigers who have thrown in the towel, the angels who are struggling, the A's who punted the season, and the mariners. I'm not saying it will happen but they have a chance to make a run here if the pitching is just okay.

18 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Not after Buck has put up with him for a couple of months. If he were a consistent contributor, heads up player and great teammate, the Rays wouldn't have gotten rid of him.

Exactly. We have seen Showalter in action on players he doesn't like. I like Buck, but he will run people out of town if necessary.

37 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Change of scenery can definitely be a thing, as we know all too painfully. Perhaps Tampa doesn't unknowingly hemorrhage talent like we do, but sometimes guys wake up a bit when they get moved. It's definitely possible. 

3 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Change of scenery can definitely be a thing, as we know all too painfully. Perhaps Tampa doesn't unknowingly hemorrhage talent like we do, but sometimes guys wake up a bit when they get moved. It's definitely possible. 

I suspect that the only good thing about this trade is that we will have 2 months to evaluate him and decide to move on.

Archived