Does anyone have a better replacement for Hardy next year than Beckham?

interloper

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I think this would be the best option, far and away. Yet moustakas is clearly the best FA on the left side of the infield, so he'll probably be more pricey than what we'd dish out. 

A lot cheaper than Manny.

Beckham is not an above average fielder. Slightly below. Hardy has a vesting option that won't vest he; cant have enough PA with the injury. He is still far and away the best defensive SS in the organization so signing him to a lesser contract is an option and keeping Beckham as the UTIF over the more expensive Flaherty.  A lot depends on whether they can extend Manny.

Is Beckham better at SS or 2B?  I'd go with Schoop, Beckham, Machado, Davis.  Save any potential INF FA money for an OBP OF, 1 very good SP, and a good SP.

A lot coming off with Hardy, Ubaldo, Miley.  Possible August trade of Castillo and/or Britton.  Tillman FA.

Beckham does have some upside at the plate--he has some power and he has hit much better outside of the Trop over his career.  But I would rather have a SS with a solid glove, even if they were more limited offensively.  The Rays were able to get Hechavarria for two marginal prospects.  We should be looking for a similar trade.   We could still keep Beckham as a versatile utility player with more offensive upside than Flaherty or Tejada.  

9 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Beckham does have some upside at the plate--he has some power and he has hit much better outside of the Trop over his career.  But I would rather have a SS with a solid glove, even if they were more limited offensively.  The Rays were able to get Hechavarria for two marginal prospects.  We should be looking for a similar trade.   We could still keep Beckham as a versatile utility player with more offensive upside than Flaherty or Tejada.  

I think this as well.

One question we'll have to ask before signing a Moustakas level player is... At this stage of Manny's career, does it make sense to move him to SS?  Manny's gotten bigger even over the last couple of years.  He's still a phenom at 3B, but how long will he have the range to be more than average at SS?  I think the answer is - you should try to keep him at 3B.     

58 minutes ago, NedFromYork said:

Is Beckham better at SS or 2B?  I'd go with Schoop, Beckham, Machado, Davis.  Save any potential INF FA money for an OBP OF, 1 very good SP, and a good SP.

A lot coming off with Hardy, Ubaldo, Miley.  Possible August trade of Castillo and/or Britton.  Tillman FA.

SS over 2B.

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

One question we'll have to ask before signing a Moustakas level player is... At this stage of Manny's career, does it make sense to move him to SS?  Manny's gotten bigger even over the last couple of years.  He's still a phenom at 3B, but how long will he have the range to be more than average at SS?  I think the answer is - you should try to keep him at 3B.     

I think that if the O's tell Manny when the season ends that he will be going back to shortstop he would show up in camp lighter.

2 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I think this as well.

Yeah, I was saying this yesterday.  Getting Beckham doesn't stop the O's from getting another SS.  And even though he'll get a raise through arbitration next season, he's starting out at 850K, so he'll likely be paid like a utility man.  And it wouldn't surprise me if he can play the OF pretty well.     

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

I think he can develop into the same type of SS as Cal. A lot depends on learning the positioning. That's why Cal was so good.

2 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Flaherty has options.  But the O's need his permission to send him to the minors.   I think if they ask Ryan to go to the minors two weeks he will do it as long as he is guaranteed they will call him up in September 1st.

To answer the OP - Zack Cosart.  He's comparable offensively (until this crazy season anyway) but a top-tier defender.

Cozart however will probably cost over $10 mil a season.  Maybe over $15 if he finishes the season OPSing over 900.

Beckham is going into his first year of arbitration - he is making $885 K this season.  He will probably cost less than $2 mil in 2018 and a little over $2 mil in 2019.

That $13-ish mil in saving can go towards another hole on the team.

So with money in mind - the answer is NO.

Archived