Santander

OriolesMagic83

2 hours ago, weams said:

He is a bull. He made a great GREAT diving catch going towards the foul line in left. Mancini at first opens some many possibilities. 

Much better defending a corner OF spot than a China shop.  Seriously, he seems a lot more athletic defensively than the reports were on him.  

6 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

When you see Santander in person, he looks like a stud. I'm just talking about his height and build. He stands out. 

He's having a good spring so far. Hope he keeps it up.

That was my impression when I saw him in Bowie. Looked like a man among boys.

Didn't like how his swing looked in Baltimore or in the AFL video last year, stiff, grooved, seemed like he was gripping the bat too tight, swinging too hard. Looks better in the ABs I've seen televised thus far this spring. He's at his best when the swing looks effortless.

20 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I have been blabbering to Weams about Santander since I first saw him in Bowie last year. Guy is going to be great.

I saw him play against Frederick the season before he was drafted in the rule 5. I was impressed by his power from both sides. He was hitting bombs in batting practice and hit one in the game that I got.

• Upvote 1

Would he have been protected if healthy last year?  Seems like he could easily have been a guy that the Indians might have added to the 40 man, but took a risk that no one would draft him due to his health.  This would mean he's not the typical Rule 5 pick that wasn't quite good enough for his team to put him on the ML roster.  IOW, he's not Joey Rickard or Ryan Flaherty.

Nah, one walk in 39 plate appearances this Spring.  Buck, talk to him - tell him he's going down if that doesn't change right away.  Oh, and most importantly - tell the media.  If he so much as cracks a smile, tell them he's a goof off.   

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Would he have been protected if healthy last year?  Seems like he could easily have been a guy that the Indians might have added to the 40 man, but took a risk that no one would draft him due to his health.  This would mean he's not the typical Rule 5 pick that wasn't quite good enough for his team to put him on the ML roster.  IOW, he's not Joey Rickard or Ryan Flaherty.

I think he would have been protected.

When I saw him in Frederick, he wasn't that big. When I saw him in his first game in Bowie, I wanted to get his rehab people. Dude gained a good 25 pounds of muscle since the end of the 2016 Carolina League season.

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Nah, one walk in 39 plate appearances this Spring.  Buck, talk to him - tell him he's going down if that doesn't change right away.  Oh, and most importantly - tell the media.  If he so much as cracks a smile, tell them he's a goof off.   

Buck has gone out of his way to praise Santander for his work ethic and efforts to improve, both on offensive and defensive, this Spring.  He's the adult among the prospects.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Buck has gone out of his way to praise Santander for his work ethic and efforts to improve, both on offensive and defensive, this Spring.  He's the adult among the prospects.

You guys do understand I was kidding, right?