Santander

OriolesMagic83

What's the downside to calling him up now?  I believe he has to spend 90 days on the ML roster, so the O's should start his time now.  He's on a hot streak and might continue it on the O's.  We know what Rickard is, basically a 4th OF.  It would be good to see what Santander can do. 

If he meets his time requirement on the ML roster early next year can he be sent down, or does he have to stay on the roster all year?

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

What's the downside to calling him up now?  I believe he has to spend 90 days on the ML roster, so the O's should start his time now.  He's on a hot streak and might continue it on the O's.  We know what Rickard is, basically a 4th OF.  It would be good to see what Santander can do. 

If he meets his time requirement on the ML roster early next year can he be sent down, or does he have to stay on the roster all year?

He can be sent down.

33 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think this is exactly what the O's wanted - a chance for him to "rehab," i.e. play ball without taking up a roster space. He'll get called up once rosters expand. The downside to calling him up is the roster crunch that would follow.

2 minutes ago, 99ct said:

I think this is exactly what the O's wanted - a chance for him to "rehab," i.e. play ball without taking up a roster space. He'll get called up once rosters expand. The downside to calling him up is the roster crunch that would follow.

Minor league rehabs can only last 20 days.

He has to be called up by about August 18.   That's 2 weeks before rosters expand.

JJ Hardy comes off the DL that day too.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Minor league rehabs can only last 20 days.

He has to be called up by about August 18.   That's 2 weeks before rosters expand.

JJ Hardy comes off the DL that day too.

Youre right - good call. 

It seems like the O's may be on to something. Take a good but injured player in the Rule 5 and rehab him for most of the year calling him up late so that the service time stretches into the following season. They only need to keep him on the major league team for 90 days and not an entire season. Teams will often leave injured players unprotected. I'm not sure if this was the plan all along but, it is certainly a way to "work" the system.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

It seems like the O's may be on to something. Take a good but injured player in the Rule 5 and rehab him for most of the year calling him up late so that the service time stretches into the following season. They only need to keep him on the major league team for 90 days and not an entire season. Teams will often leave injured players unprotected. I'm not sure if this was the plan all along but, it is certainly a way to "work" the system.

The hunters will one day become the hunted. Not a good way to do business.

8 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Let him get his rehab, call him up for Gentry's spot, send him to the AFL and go from there.

My guess is that this is the plan. This means they'll have to carry him for around 75 days next year to keep him.

9 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If he could come up now that would be good. 

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

My guess is that this is the plan. This means they'll have to carry him for around 75 days next year to keep him.

Why 75?    Won't he get to about 45 this year once he's called up in mid-August?

Hopefully he hits up here and renders the issue moot!

• Upvote 1