Well, that moved my needle

Frobby

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Cumberbundy said:

Our pitching at home has been crazy good! Kc made us look like we have nothing but cy young contenders, Texas did the same, the central can't handle the Os.

It's been a nice little run. Hopefully they can keep it rolling against the Tigers, who are looking a little toothless right now. Justin Upton is having a fine year, but JD Martinez is in Arizona and Cabrera, Vmart and Kinsler are all struggling mightily.

2 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I hope Hellickson is hiding some stuff somewhere. A 3.2% swinging strike rate isn't going to bring these kind of results most nights. We apparently caught the Royals at the right time because they couldn't hit anything this series.

In my nightly "game text" with a few O's fans buddies last night, I noted that Hellickson (who I hadn't seen much of before) looked like he had Rodrigo Lopez level "No Stuff." But it worked, I guess?

8 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

In my nightly "game text" with a few O's fans buddies last night, I noted that Hellickson (who I hadn't seen much of before) looked like he had Rodrigo Lopez level "No Stuff." But it worked, I guess?

Decent curve and change at times.

I'm actually watching games again, although I want to see something from Chris Tillman before I get too excited. The guy should really be on the DL, but I guess we can hope he gets it together down the stretch.

24 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I don't think the Tigers would pull him back.  Any team that claims him is on the hook for that contract.  No thanks. 

It would be pretty ballsy by the Tigers to let one of their all time greats let go by a waiver claim. Even you could justify it from a baseball sense from a PR standpoint it would look awful.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

So you're willing to pay him $56 mm at ages 35-36?   I'm not.    When pitchers get signed to these long term deals, it's because teams think they can eke out enough value on the front end to justify overpaying on the back end.    We didn't enjoy the value part, and I'm not willing to eat that kind of money for a pitcher who is still decent, but no longer dominant. 

They would have to eat a contract like Trumbo or O'Day. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

It would be pretty ballsy by the Tigers to let one of their all time greats let go by a waiver claim. Even you could justify it from a baseball sense from a PR standpoint it would look awful.  

Would you be upset if a team claimed Davis? 

Just now, Number5 said:

Would you be upset if a team claimed Davis? 

No,  but Verlander is a CY Young award winner and has been at the center of the Tigers rebirth. Letting a guy leave who could have won the award just last year off of a waiver claim isn't going to happen. I would call the Tigers bluff. He has 2 years on his deal, not 5/6. 

28 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I hope Hellickson is hiding some stuff somewhere. A 3.2% swinging strike rate isn't going to bring these kind of results most nights. We apparently caught the Royals at the right time because they couldn't hit anything this series.

Timing is everything! At least he threw strikes - give our guys a chance. He stinks, we are going to need balls hit at people, our offense, and our bullpen. There's no doubt that we aren't very good overall, but KC/TB aren't either. If Gausman can be an ace and Bundy can keep throwing like he did, who likes. I'm almost glad we didn't waste Gausman on KC, they were putrid. We need to win this series!

Just now, eddie83 said:

No,  but Verlander is a CY Young award winner and has been at the center of the Tigers rebirth. Letting a guy leave who could have won the award just last year off of a waiver claim isn't going to happen. I would call the Tigers bluff. He has 2 years on his deal, not 5/6. 

It is a bad contract.  The Tigers would gladly let it go.  They would effectively be selling Verlander for $56 million.  It would be a godsend to Detroit.  I'll be very surprised if any team claims Verlander.  It is apparent that you and I will never reach agreement on this.

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

I read a lot of posts saying that the Hellickson and Beckham trades "didn't move the needle."    Maybe not, but this game certainly moved the needle!     Loved what Mr. H and Mr. B brought to this one!

We turned Texas from a buyer to a seller over two series and totally knocked them out of the wildcard race.  KC now only has a 1/2 game lead over TB.  We also gained another game on Seattle last night.  I wouldn't make plans for a parade yet, but what's not to like?

31 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

It's been a nice little run. Hopefully they can keep it rolling against the Tigers, who are looking a little toothless right now. Justin Upton is having a fine year, but JD Martinez is in Arizona and Cabrera, Vmart and Kinsler are all struggling mightily.

We need Tillman over Boyd, another lefty with a decent but of junk. The pen is rested thanks to Hellickson & Bundy, hopefully Tillman can give us 5 with 2ER, I'd take it.

Just now, Number5 said:

It is a bad contract.  The Tigers would gladly let it go.  They would effectively be selling Verlander for $56 million.  It would be a godsend to Detroit.  I'll be very surprised if any team claims Verlander.  It is apparent that you and I will never reach agreement on this.

We will see what happens this month.  I bet he gets claimed. A big market team would have no issue risking that unless it is a salary cap threshold they don't want to do over for tax reasons. 

Just now, Cumberbundy said:

We need Tillman over Boyd, another lefty with a decent but of junk. The pen is rested thanks to Hellickson & Bundy, hopefully Tillman can give us 5 with 2ER, I'd take it.

Goes without saying 3 of 4 this weekend we be huge. 

Archived