Astros GM is going to have a long 2 months.

bpilktree

8 minutes ago, weams said:

If they spent 40 million per season. But twist my story. Please. 

But what if they also spend a fortune on international free agents?

Is that likely? No. Is it likely that they'd put a $40 million team on the field? Even less likely than spending a fortune on international free agents, I'd say.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

But what if they also spend a fortune on international free agents?

Is that likely? No. Is it likely that they'd put a $40 million team on the field? Even less likely than spending a fortune on international free agents, I'd say.

If they spent the 3 million the would be permitted to under rules that would be a lot. You may not spend a fortune internationally any longer. 

7 minutes ago, weams said:

If they spent the 3 million the would be permitted to under rules that would be a lot. You may not spend a fortune internationally any longer. 

And they won't put a $40 million team on the field. They are already committed to $35MM/year for Davis and Trumbo.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's a load on nonsense.

Give me an example of MLB moving a team without ownership's approval.

They don't care if teams win games or if payroll is low or even if fans come out.

If ownership hadn't wanted out of Montreal they never would have moved.

It takes stuff like what went on with Frank McCourt to get their attention.

Once an owner is in place, there's not much MLB can do as long as the owner pays the bills, puts a team on the field and complies with the limitations on debt in the CBO.

MLB has gotten burned recently when teams couldn't compete because of the owner's financial problems, most recently with McCourt. More than just about anything else (besides making money), MLB's owners want to avoid those situations, and they realize that the way to do that is to vet potential new owners' finances rigorously.  That, IMO, is why the owners would  not approve a transfer of control of the Orioles to one of Angelos's sons.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I mean, the Astros GM isn't the one that put the kibosh on the deal.  Can blame that guy all you want but Petey screwed everyone here, not the other way around.

Seems to me that I read that the last offer came from the Orioles.  No?

17 hours ago, bpilktree said:

He may not sleep for two months because they way Britton has looked lately and the Astros bullpen being awful last two weeks is going to have th fans on him.  He better hope that they win it all.

Especially if we somehow sneak into the WC game and win it. We'd play HOU in he ALDS. Funny things happen all the time in sports. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I mean, the Astros GM isn't the one that put the kibosh on the deal.  Can blame that guy all you want but Petey screwed everyone here, not the other way around.

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

Seems to me that I read that the last offer came from the Orioles.  No?

The deal that the Astros owner said got squashed by the owner was *not* the Britton deal.

If we didn't like the medicalsbon the quantity over quality (acknowledged no top top prospect included in the deal) that's certainly not on Baltimore.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's the guy with the best record in the AL, going for it, but has holes in the bullpen.  He didn't have to wait until the 31st to improve the team.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Even though I'm quite sure that it was reported that it wasn't the Britton deal that was squashed by the owner (just a heads up, he isn't the only owner who can/will squash a trade), I would have done the same if they made their top 7 prospects off the table for an elite RP like Britton. I'd much rather keep him, let him build up his value, and deal him in offseason/next year, because if he shows to be healthy we would get what they offered now next deadline if they really kept all their top end guys off the table. Chapman was having a hell of a deal and got a top 20 prospect in baseball. We couldn't even get a top 7 guy in their entire system.

A few contenders are going to be eliminated because of bad bullpens and they'll have some 'splainin' to do.  Britton looks dominant again.  I'd move him in the offseason for a big, big deal where we'll have more leverage.

2 minutes ago, Ripken said:

A few contenders are going to be eliminated because of bad bullpens and they'll have some 'splainin' to do.  Britton looks dominant again.  I'd move him in the offseason for a big, big deal where we'll have more leverage.

If, you know, your owner lets you.

Archived