Britton-Long Term Deal

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Cumberbundy said:

Not the same guy, his ball is moving more now but he looks like a wild high school kid throwing without any location. Trade value shot in the offseason. 

He hasn't pitched since Friday. Nothing to see here.

44 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Oh joy to the world. This really sucks.

This is why I wanted to trade Britton or at least see what teams would offer up for him last off season.

Most relievers have about a 5 year run of excellence before they fade off.  There are Trevor Hoffman and Mariano Rivera types, but those are few and far between. 

if Britton has to get a procedure done in the off season it would make his trade value even less. We shall see.

Britton said he felt new soreness in the knee while warming up Wednesday, but made sure he didn’t use it as an excuse for his outing. He said the discomfort is minor — that it might be just loose cartilage — and that he was scheduled to get the tests on the knee at the end of the season regardless. He added that the timing has more to do with getting ahead of it in case he might need a procedure to clean out the knee in the offseason.

“It’s more precaution than anything,” Britton said. ”Otherwise, I wouldn’t be able to pitch through it if it was serious. Obviously, I haven’t had knee things, but I would assume that I wouldn’t be able to get in my delivery and make pitches if it was something serious. … It’s started creeping up maybe a couple of weeks ago. … Since it’s the back knee, it could affect command. I don’t think they want to get [in a situation] where obviously I’m over the arm injury so you don’t want it back to get affected again. Kind of where we are in the season, let’s get it looked at because if something needs to happen, get it over with going into next year. I’m not sure if that’s even the case.”

“[Team orthopedist Dr. Michael Jacobs] said, ‘Let’s just look at it,’ ” Britton said. “I’ll be going to Boston. It’s not something that’s going to prevent me from going with the team. He just wants to see where it’s at, if there’s anything that needs to get cleaned up, maybe. Use this there where we’re at to do that, but I won’t know. I don’t think it’s anything serious, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to pitch on it, but I’m going to do that and we’ll find out.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-britton-20170824-story.html

Shut. Him. Down.  We're playing for next year now.  Clean out his knee sometime next week and get him on a serious conditioning plan this off-season in hopes of a huge bounce back year next year for Britton and for the O's. 

Like it or not, Zach Britton will be on our team next year (I was also advocating for a trade last off-season) his trade value is microscopic right now, unfortunately. 

And if he can't bounce back next year, we need to have a pretty short leash with him.  Givens is our future closer, if Zach doesn't have it early next year too, I hope Buck isn't overly loyal to another one of his guys.  And don't get me wrong, I love Britton as much as anyone else.

12 minutes ago, joelala said:

Shut. Him. Down.  We're playing for next year now.  Clean out his knee sometime next week and get him on a serious conditioning plan this off-season in hopes of a huge bounce back year next year for Britton and for the O's. 

Like it or not, Zach Britton will be on our team next year (I was also advocating for a trade last off-season) his trade value is microscopic right now, unfortunately. 

And if he can't bounce back next year, we need to have a pretty short leash with him.  Givens is our future closer, if Zach doesn't have it early next year too, I hope Buck isn't overly loyal to another one of his guys.  And don't get me wrong, I love Britton as much as anyone else.

Gotta agree with this. A few other bullpen arms have emerged this year, and more will be on the way in a week. On the extremely off chance that we slide ass backwards into a WC spot, we are not likely to make a deep run with other good AL teams like Houston and Boston looming. Get Zach back on track for next year and hope he regains his 2016 form for a championship run in 2018.

Archived